Aron
Last Activity:
Oct 17, 2017 at 9:57 PM
Birthday:
May 14

Share This Page

Aron

Well-Known Member, Male, from Austin, TX

I guess, based on that savage Stereogum piece, I'm supposed to hate the new Beck album. But I don't. Oct 13, 2017 at 9:05 AM

Aron was last seen:
Oct 17, 2017 at 9:57 PM
    1. Aron
      Aron
      I guess, based on that savage Stereogum piece, I'm supposed to hate the new Beck album. But I don't.
      1. GritNGlitter likes this.
      2. CAPacelli
        CAPacelli
        Dude, ouch. That is bad. Makes me want to cancel my preorder.
        Oct 13, 2017 at 10:37 AM
      3. Aron
        Aron
        I actually like the record. It isn't ground breaking in any way, or anywhere near peak Beck. The songwriting is pretty basic, but the songs don't sound bad. I was expecting a trainwreck after reading that piece on Stereogum, and, to me it just sounds like a poppy Beck album. Which is what folks wanted after his last record.
        Oct 13, 2017 at 10:51 AM
    2. Aron
      Aron
      Loving the new St. Vincent album. It's twitchy electro pop a la Goldfrapp mixed with Annie's art rock leanings. Guitar is still there too.
      2. Aron
        Aron
        I'm a big fan of all of her albums, but this is easily her most accessible album so far. Which isn't to say it is necessarily her best album, but it seems to have fewer of those precious/pretentious moments that some of her other albums feature. I'm really glad to hear those guitar outbursts throughout. That was the only thing I was worried about with a poppier sound.
        Oct 13, 2017 at 7:50 AM
        GritNGlitter likes this.
    3. Aron
      Aron
      The only good aspect of Texas Cedar allergies is that, when it hits, I'm able to match Dylan's rumbling warble circa "World Gone Wrong".
      1. kickerofelves and geistvox like this.
      2. kickerofelves
        kickerofelves
        Have you considered touring a series of minor league baseball stadiums?
        Oct 12, 2017 at 8:16 AM
        Aron likes this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        Oct 12, 2017 at 8:43 AM
        kickerofelves likes this.
    4. Aron
      Aron
      My treadmill shuffle was fixated on the 90's today. Therapy's 'Screamager', Iggy's 'I Wanna Live', Garbage's 'Push It', Cibo Matto's 'Spoon'
      1. mcherry likes this.
    5. Aron
      Aron
      Miley Cyrus' week long run on The Tonight Show has ended. Some interesting performances, but the image rehab vibes were strong at times too.
      1. LeeVing
        LeeVing
        Did she get new teeth recently. Someone at work had that singing game show she's on and I didn't recognize her at all.
        Oct 7, 2017
        Aron likes this.
      2. Aron
        Aron
        I don't know about the teeth, but considerable effort has been made to put forth a more traditional image to promote this new record. I guess one can look at it two ways...either she wants to convince us that the things she was saying and doing in recent years didn't really happen; or she needed to do those things to break the Disney mold she was in and come out the other side.
        Oct 7, 2017
        mcherry likes this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        Madonna reinvented her persona all the time, but I don't recall her ever really doing such an abrupt public relations about face. I don't have a problem with it. Good for her. The pandering and fawning from the Fallon side was pretty gross though. Then again...it always is.
        Oct 7, 2017
    6. Aron
      Aron
      Sound On Sound Festival cancelled. Looks like a primary investor pulled out. I think Yeah Yeah Yeahs & Iggy were scheduled to play that one.
      1. Heath
        Heath
        Is that what happened? I saw the announcement but was wondering why
        Oct 6, 2017
      2. Aron
        Aron
        That's what they are saying. A big investor pulled out about a week and a half ago or so. I guess they gave it a bit of time to see if they could get replacement funding or something. They may also have timed it to use the ongoing ACL Festival as a shield for some of the negative PR they are going to get.
        Oct 6, 2017
    7. Aron
      Aron
      Really happy to see that Sister Rosetta Tharpe is a 1st time nominee for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Deserved, even if delayed.
      1. Enoch
        Enoch
        Unfortunately she low down on the current votes
        Oct 5, 2017
        lee newman likes this.
      2. Yer Ol' Uncle D
        Yer Ol' Uncle D
        It would be nice to see her get some recognition. At the same time the RNRHOF seems more and more contrived and valueless to me. Very Grammy-like.
        Oct 5, 2017
        GritNGlitter likes this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        You know, for many years I had kind of a cynical view of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but, after watching a few of the recent ceremonies on HBO, I've kind of changed my tune. They don't always vote in the artists I would pick, but, it really seemed to mean something to artists at all points on the "cool scale" (Journey, Nirvana, etc.).
        Oct 5, 2017
    8. Aron
      Aron
      A hearty sarcastic "Thank You" to whoever at FedEx or USPS went ahead and opened my September shipment. Very cool of you to do that for me.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Aron
        Aron
        Everything seems to be fine. I'm a little extra sensitive/salty about it because this is the replacement package (I think). The first one never arrived. Just a little off-putting to see the yellow sticker completely ripped down the middle, and nothing holding the package together.
        Oct 2, 2017
        GritNGlitter and notgabewhite like this.
      4. mcherry
        mcherry
        Ugh
        Oct 2, 2017
      5. Aron
        Aron
        It has been a cursed shipment from the jump. Not VMP's fault in any way. In fact, they got the replacement order out super fast. I'm choosing to blame the USPS on all of this. I guess everyone eventually gets a turn on the bad shipping merry-go-round, so, this month was my spin.
        Oct 2, 2017
        notgabewhite likes this.
    9. Aron
      Aron
      Seeing reports that Tom Petty was rushed to the hospital in full cardiac arrest. Geezus.
      1. Tillman
        Tillman
        damn
        Oct 2, 2017
        Enaz Fox likes this.
      2. sarcasticfairyprincess
        sarcasticfairyprincess
        apparently he's on life support :(
        Oct 2, 2017
      3. Gatorjim
        Gatorjim
        That really sucks
        Oct 2, 2017
        Enaz Fox likes this.
    10. Aron
      Aron
      Are we calling the new Kamasi Washington release an EP? It's 32 minutes long, so kind of a gray area. Either way, it is fantastic.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Yer Ol' Uncle D
        Yer Ol' Uncle D
        Based on The Epic I'm considering this one a single.
        Oct 2, 2017
        Siglet, Jake!, mcherry and 4 others like this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        Oct 2, 2017
      4. RenegadeMonster
        RenegadeMonster
        I have a 12 track CD that has over an hour of play time that's labeled as a EP. Go figure. Guess it just depends on what they want to call it.
        Oct 2, 2017
        Aron likes this.
    11. Aron
      Aron
      Having a hard time getting into this new record from The National. Can't quite pinpoint why though.
      1. wokeupnew and Gatorjim like this.
      2. Gatorjim
        Gatorjim
        Because, well, nah, I said I wasn’t gonna say anything else about them.
        Sep 30, 2017
        EmeryRK, notgabewhite, gouis and 2 others like this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        I thought I had turned the corner with them. I really liked the last record, and even enjoyed their live set in support of that album (although I paid to see Warpaint open). The new one feels almost like a spoken word album in places.
        Sep 30, 2017
        wokeupnew likes this.
    12. Aron
      Aron
      Found it pretty difficult to keep my singing under my breath when 'Werewolves of London' came over the muzak at McAlister's Deli today.
      1. mcherry, GritNGlitter and bohnjaggs like this.
      2. mcherry
        mcherry
        Aaaoooooooooo!!!!
        Sep 29, 2017
        Aron likes this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        @mcherry That was me standing by the straws and napkins station, head down, staring at phone in an effort to tamp down some of the volume. They had the muzak set to some classic rock channel. Also heard Elton's 'Madman Across The Water', which was fun. Had not heard some vintage Elton in a while.
        Sep 29, 2017
        mcherry likes this.
    13. Aron
      Aron
      I was checking out the new Kamasi Washington single on Apple Music & it pointed me to the preview tracks for the new Ibeyi album. Good stuff
      1. notgabewhite and mcherry like this.
      2. Aron
        Aron
        Washington guests on one of the preview tracks, and Mala Rodriguez guests on another.
        Sep 27, 2017
    14. Aron
      Aron
      Liking this new Sparks album more with each listen. The first half is stronger than the second, but only a few skippable tracks for me.
    15. Aron
      Aron
      Charles Bradley may be gone, but the Screaming Eagle of Soul will never be silenced.
      1. Aron
        Aron
        I just can't even imagine what all the folks at the Daptone label are dealing with. Losing Sharon Jones AND Charles Bradley...I just can't even.
        Sep 23, 2017
    16. Aron
      Aron
      Really proud Austinite here after hearing Sweet Spirit's 'The Power' featured in that new Samsung commercial.
    17. Aron
      Aron
      Still waiting on my monthly shipment that FedEx delivered to the post office last Friday. The post office is 5 minutes away from me.
      1. twentytwo and lee newman like this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        @Enoch Yeah, the lady at the post office told me that, but then she wasn't finding it in their system when she checked.
        Sep 20, 2017
      4. Enoch
        Enoch
        uh oh, did you email info@
        Sep 20, 2017
      5. Aron
        Aron
        Not yet. I want to give USPS just a little more time before I take that step.
        Sep 20, 2017
    18. Aron
      Aron
      #TeamKimmel
    19. Aron
      Aron
      Not sure if I like the album or not, but, I can say that OMD certainly didn't play it safe musically on their new record.
      1. mcherry and Kris like this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        @Kris I've only got one spin in so far, but I'm kind of feeling the same way. I like it overall. Balances their Kraftwerk side with their commercial side. There are a few clunkers, but, overall, a pretty good effort.
        Sep 20, 2017
        Kris likes this.
      4. Kris
        Kris
        "The View from Here" is my favorite.
        Sep 20, 2017
        Aron likes this.
      5. Aron
        Aron
        I like most of the songs quite a bit. They would have been best served to not include 'Robot Man'. That track really killed the momentum from the first two songs. Just a really, really dumb song.
        Sep 20, 2017
        Kris likes this.
    20. Aron
      Aron
      There are some really good tracks on the new Sparks album.
      1. kickerofelves and anazapela like this.
      3. mcherry
        mcherry
        Cool. Gonna need to check that out.
        Sep 19, 2017
        Aron likes this.
      4. Aron
        Aron
        Really digging the tracks, 'Edith Piaf (Said It Better Than Me)', 'Scandinavian Design' and 'What The Hell Is It This Time?', and I'm only halfway through it.
        Sep 19, 2017
        mcherry likes this.
      5. kickerofelves
        kickerofelves
        I saw them at a Fun Fun Fun Fest a few years ago in the Comedy tent of all places (I mean, not completely off, but still). Just the two of 'em, piano and vocals. It was delightful! I really wanted them to play Sherlock Holmes and they DID.
        Sep 19, 2017
        mcherry and Aron like this.
  • About

Birthday:
    May 14

Signature

#TeamCurmudgeonly