Aron
Last Activity:
Jan 23, 2018 at 12:50 PM
Birthday:
May 14

Share This Page

Aron

Well-Known Member, Male, from Austin, TX

Just saw this on Twitter: ANTI is re-releasing Tom Waits' entire 1970's Elektra Asylum catalog. See next post for more info. Jan 19, 2018 at 11:12 AM

Aron was last seen:
Viewing forum list, Jan 23, 2018 at 12:50 PM
    1. Aron
      Aron
      Just saw this on Twitter: ANTI is re-releasing Tom Waits' entire 1970's Elektra Asylum catalog. See next post for more info.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. DavidA
        DavidA
        I can't wait for Blue Valentine.
        Jan 19, 2018 at 12:03 PM
        Aron and ranbalam like this.
      3. ranbalam
        ranbalam
        Someday they'll get to reissuing Bone Machine...right??
        Jan 19, 2018 at 1:28 PM
        Aron likes this.
      4. bdm105
        bdm105
        Which means deals on the stuff that's out there!
        Jan 19, 2018 at 1:49 PM
        Aron likes this.
    2. Aron
      Aron
      Although it appears to be an older piece from last year that was reposted on Facebook, nice job on the Top 10 Comeback albums list @mcherry.
      1. Eric, mcherry and Enaz Fox like this.
      2. Aron
        Aron
        I'm guessing an updated list from you might include last year's Slowdive comeback record. One of my picks would have been Marianne Faithfull's "Broken English". Even her damaged voice that cuts in and out couldn't destroy the killer songs/music/production on that record.
        Jan 18, 2018 at 9:45 PM
      3. mcherry
        mcherry
        Hell yes Slowdive would be on there!
        Jan 19, 2018 at 5:21 AM
    3. Aron
      Aron
      At home with the flu. Not exactly how I was hoping to start the new year.
      1. mcherry
        mcherry
        Hope you feel better soon!
        Jan 17, 2018 at 12:00 PM
        Aron likes this.
      2. kvetcha
        kvetcha
        Feel better. I'm hearing it's particularly rough this year.
        Jan 17, 2018 at 12:41 PM
        Aron likes this.
    4. Aron
      Aron
      Norah Jones' "The Fall" is supremely underrated IMO.
    5. Aron
      Aron
      Starting the day with some "Bowie at the Beeb".
      1. Tyr likes this.
      2. Tyr
        Tyr
        You know how to start a day!
        Jan 10, 2018
    6. Aron
      Aron
      Excited to see Alejandro Escovedo this coming Saturday. It's an anniversary show for his "A Man Under The Influence" album. Should be good.
      1. Psymon and slugr8 like this.
      2. hatfieldpdx
        hatfieldpdx
        Saw him play on Friday night. Full blown rock-n-roll, he's still got it!
        Jan 8, 2018
        Aron likes this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        He's been doing these shows in January here in Austin at the ACL Live venue the past few years. The first half is going to be "A Man Under The Influence" in full, and the second half is going to be a tribute to some musicians who have battled/are battling cancer. Supposed to be a number of special guests, which could be cool.
        Jan 8, 2018
        hatfieldpdx likes this.
      4. hatfieldpdx
        hatfieldpdx
        Nice! I saw him at a benefit concert for Scott McCaughey of The Minus 5, who recently suffered a stroke. Appearances by Peter Buck and Mike Mills (R.E.M.), Corin and Janet from Sleater-Kinney, James Mercer of the Shins, M. Ward, Patterson Hood (Drive By Truckers) and so many more. Photos here:
        https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0dGrq0zwGFkZvE
        Jan 8, 2018
        Aron likes this.
    7. Aron
      Aron
      Revisiting some of the early albums from The Gourds. Forgot how good those were.
      1. indiemisanthrope
        indiemisanthrope
        The Gin & Juice Gourds? I think that's the one & only time I've ever encountered that name.
        Jan 5, 2018
      2. Aron
        Aron
        Yep. I was really into them in the early 2000's, and then kind of lost track of them. Those early records on the Sugar Hill label are taking me back.
        Jan 5, 2018
        indiemisanthrope likes this.
    8. Aron
      Aron
      Just pre-ordered a VU box set. Gonna fill a giant hole in my collection with one order.
      1. mcherry and GritNGlitter like this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Aron
        Aron
        Looks like the tracklisting for that 2-LP version is a match for what is included in this box. Honestly, if they fulfill the order, and everything arrives intact, I'll be a happy camper. I don't get too hung up on the limitedness or exclusivity issues. This is me being lazy, and not wanting to buy these individually.
        Jan 3, 2018
      4. Corycm
        Corycm
        I haven't found a lot of details about the 45th anniversary vs. the 50th anniversary pressings, so the main diff might just be collecting the reissues together and the slipcase.
        Jan 3, 2018
      5. Mr Moore
        Mr Moore
        Jan 3, 2018
        Corycm likes this.
    9. Aron
      Aron
      Is The Weeknd really a festival headliner? Legit question. I may just be out of the loop, but I've never felt he was on that level.
      1. EmeryRK likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Corycm
        Corycm
        Admittedly, I don't love the giant fests. I think the more specialized ones, like Newport for example, or Merlefest, will be fine. But I don't know if I believe Coachella or Bonnarroo are in it for the long haul. I'm probably wrong though.
        Jan 2, 2018
      4. wooha
        wooha
        I don't know about Bonnaroo, but Coachella is pulling in like $70-$80M profit each year, and has a lease at the Polo fields for some crazy amount of years into the future, so I think they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
        Jan 2, 2018
      5. Corycm
        Corycm
        There's just a crapload of event money out there in play, so you're probably right. I mean, just look at the EDM fests. Just absurd cash changing hands there alone.
        Jan 2, 2018
        wooha likes this.
    10. Aron
      1. bohnjaggs, GritNGlitter and Tyr like this.
      2. mcherry
        mcherry
        Slowdive is on there. Great list. ;)
        Dec 24, 2017
        Aron likes this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        Yeah, I had one track on my iTunes list that wasn't available on Spotify, and that was Will Johnson's 'The Predator'. That Will Johnson album was one of my favorites of the year. It has a nice, high and lonesome feel overall, but 'The Predator' was a bit more commercial sounding.
        Dec 24, 2017
      4. Aron
        Aron
        Also, I have a rule I try to stick to with these types of year end "Best Of" playlists, and that is one track per artist. There are many other really good songs from some of the artists/albums represented in that playlist that I excluded only because I like to build in parameters for these types of things. Us music nerds are a curious lot.
        Dec 24, 2017
    11. Aron
      Aron
      Working on a Saturday is never fun, but I'm getting through it by revisiting some pop from the past. Some vintage Erasure & Yaz to start.
      1. Kris, mcherry and Mr Moore like this.
    12. Aron
      Aron
      The Christmas Special for the British Office is still note perfect after all these years. I know what's coming, but, it works every time.
    13. Aron
      Aron
      Haven't heard much about Van Morrison's "Roll With The Punches" around here, but it is fantastic. Lots of blues covers, but they're great.
      1. CrazyDiamond84
        CrazyDiamond84
        Its excellent. He released a 2nd album this year as well that I havent heard yet
        Dec 19, 2017
        Aron likes this.
    14. Aron
      Aron
      Damn. I've got a nice post-election buzz going, and then I see that Pat DiNizio from The Smithereens has died. Dammit.
      1. Yer Ol' Uncle D
        Yer Ol' Uncle D
        Man, that stinks. Was it related to his recent surgery on his arm and hand?
        Dec 12, 2017
        Aron likes this.
      2. Aron
        Aron
        Not sure. Those guys were one of the best bar bands that ever "made it". And I mean that as a compliment, even if it may not come across. Just a real bummer to learn this news.
        Dec 12, 2017
        Yer Ol' Uncle D likes this.
      3. mcherry
        mcherry
        :(
        Dec 13, 2017
        Aron likes this.
    15. Aron
      Aron
      I may be a homo sapien with opposable thumbs, but, I fall way back on the evolutionary chart whenever string cheese packaging is faulty.
      1. Corycm
        Corycm
        I feel like that opening a paper carton of anything, like milk. Like, as soon as I make that first fold/tear my brain just goes "uh-oh" and then it's all grunts and snorts until it's mangled.
        Dec 11, 2017
        Aron likes this.
    16. Aron
      Aron
      Just saw on Twitter that Cibo Matto are calling it quits. They weren't terribly active, but I thought their last album was quite good.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Aron
        Aron
        I'm glad I caught them on their last tour in support of "Hotel Valentine".
        Dec 11, 2017
      3. Corycm
        Corycm
        I saw them in Chicago at some point in the 90s. I can't recall with who though. I want to say maybe the Boredoms?
        Dec 11, 2017
        Aron likes this.
      4. Aron
        Aron
        I know "Viva! La Woman" gets all of the love, but, I've always enjoyed "Stero-Type A" even more. It's still a fun album to spin, and 'Sunday, Pt. 2' is absolute bliss.
        Dec 11, 2017
    17. Aron
      Aron
      These mint chocolate chip cookies from Tiff's Treats are the real MVP.
      1. RenegadeMonster and Kima like this.
      2. Heath
        Heath
        Damnit now I'm gonna have to order Tiff's Treats and a pint of Blue Bell this afternoon
        Dec 11, 2017
        RenegadeMonster and Aron like this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        The guy behind the counter said they were going to have that flavor for a few more days. They have Andes mint pieces in them.
        Dec 11, 2017
        Heath likes this.
    18. Aron
      Aron
      Love this new Charlotte Gainsbourg record. Nice variety of sounds, and she gains more and more confidence with each album.
      1. twentytwo
        twentytwo
        I won a free copy of this and signed picture from a local record store not really knowing her music and I must say it's pretty catchy.
        Dec 8, 2017
        Aron likes this.
      2. Aron
        Aron
        I hear some disco era Blondie in places, which is cool. I was a big fan of "IRM", and this one is a nice progression from that record.
        Dec 8, 2017
        twentytwo likes this.
    19. Aron
      Aron
      Those images from the fires in Southern California are pretty frightening. Looks like Mustafar or something. #Nerd
      1. mcherry likes this.
      2. Melt Face Molly Drop
        Melt Face Molly Drop
        Or the Upside Down.
        Dec 6, 2017
    20. Aron
      Aron
      1. GritNGlitter, mcherry and EmeryRK like this.
  • About

Birthday:
    May 14

Signature

#TeamCurmudgeonly