Aron
Last Activity:
Jul 17, 2018 at 10:27 PM
Birthday:
May 14

Share This Page

Aron

Well-Known Member, Male, from Austin, TX

The jacket for Kamasi Washington's "Heaven and Earth" is like the SCOTTeVEST of album packaging. Jul 15, 2018 at 2:47 PM

Aron was last seen:
Jul 17, 2018 at 10:27 PM
    1. Aron
      Aron
      My parents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary today. Extra special, as, 2 years ago, we weren't sure dad would be here for this.
      1. mcherry
        mcherry
        Yay!
        Feb 10, 2018
        nasa_life, Aron and Enaz Fox like this.
      2. GritNGlitter
        GritNGlitter
        Hooray!
        Feb 11, 2018
        Aron likes this.
    2. Aron
      Aron
      Pre-ordered the new Shakey Graves record through Bandcamp, and got the first 2 tracks for download. Very different sound from previous stuff
      1. Eric likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Aron
        Aron
        @Eric I'm really liking 'Kids These Days'. It really reminds me of some of my favorite tunes off of Ryan Adams' "Demolition". I like 'Counting Sheep' too...I think it is maybe the more interesting tune of the two. It's different, and it will likely grow on me even more over time.
        Feb 9, 2018
        Eric likes this.
      4. Aron
        Aron
        I like the sparse stuff too, but, I do like seeing his progression from record to record. Interested to hear the rest of this album. I remember reading in an interview that the one man band thing was really more out of necessity in the early days, and that it wasn't really the sound he was shooting for. Something to that effect.
        Feb 9, 2018
        Eric likes this.
      5. Eric
        Eric
        I think what really threw me off when I first listened to 'Kids These days' the opening guitar riff sounds pretty much exactly as the main riff of Mikal Cronin's - 'Make My Mind Up' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASDLABCHb7A)
        Feb 9, 2018
        Aron likes this.
    3. Aron
      Aron
      This country is a mess these days, but, it is cool that I can order 6 boxes of Thin Mints on a Tues. & receive them in the mail 3 days later
      1. kvetcha
        kvetcha
        "Say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice."
        Feb 9, 2018
        Nathaniel D., wokeupnew and Aron like this.
    4. Aron
      Aron
      Topshelf Records is doing a limited vinyl release of tricot's first two albums. Some album/t-shirt bundles are also available. See next post
      1. this_unfolds and mcherry like this.
      2. Aron
        Feb 8, 2018
    5. Aron
      Aron
      Were he still alive, I wonder if we would have gotten another Super Bowl appearance from Prince this year since the game is in Minneapolis.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Yer Ol' Uncle D
        Yer Ol' Uncle D
        If Prince's hologram is unavailable I vote for a Minneapolis All-Star tribute to Bob Stinson and Grant Hart.
        Feb 2, 2018
        Juiceless and CAPacelli like this.
      3. Juiceless
        Juiceless
        i read Bob Mould is doing a show at the Mall of America for the Super Bowl, so I guess the world is ending this weekend?
        Feb 2, 2018
        bohnjaggs likes this.
      4. CAPacelli
        CAPacelli
        Husker Du Not Want
        Feb 2, 2018
        bfly and Juiceless like this.
    6. Aron
      Aron
      New Chvrches track is solid.
      1. GritNGlitter, EmeryRK and evanbenner like this.
      2. evanbenner
        evanbenner
        I approve.
        Jan 31, 2018
        Clay Conder and Aron like this.
    7. Aron
      Aron
      Just learned that David Duchovny put out a music album in 2015 & has another one on the way. BTW, the 2015 album, Hell or Highwater is awful
      1. Siglet, Taylor and JonnyH like this.
      3. Major Tom
      4. Taylor
        Taylor
        Jan 29, 2018
        mcherry likes this.
      5. bohnjaggs
        bohnjaggs
        Kiefer Sutherland has an album too.. saw a B&N exclusive pressing of it when I was there...
        Jan 29, 2018
        mcherry likes this.
    8. Aron
      Aron
      I suppose I'm in the minority here, but...I don't hate the Grammys. I just watch to see what performances work, and which ones don't.
      1. GritNGlitter likes this.
      2. Aron
        Aron
        I mean, I gave up on the notion that the actual awards have much meaning or go to the most deserving artists a long time ago. That part of it is really just additional promotion for already successful selling albums. But seeing Chris Stapleton and Emmylou Harris sing Petty's 'Wildflowers'...I just don't have a problem with that.
        Jan 29, 2018
      3. JonnyH
        JonnyH
        Yah I tend to watch all of the performances online the next day and that's the bulk of my interaction with the Grammys.
        Jan 29, 2018
        Eric and mcherry like this.
      4. Aron
        Aron
        Even the Grammys don't care about the awards anymore. They hardly give out any hardware during the actual broadcast. I just think it if funny that everyone bags on the show, and who was "robbed" for the bigger awards. That's low hanging fruit, IMO, and taking things way too seriously.
        Jan 29, 2018
        JonnyH likes this.
    9. Aron
      Aron
      Just finished the 2018 VMP Survey. It is still 2018, right?
      2. Aron
        Aron
        @Eriatarka VMP sent it directly to my email address.
        Jan 29, 2018
        Eriatarka likes this.
      3. mcherry
        mcherry
        It was indeed long. But I think it was still shorter than the behemoth of a survey they did the last time we got one.
        Jan 29, 2018
        DavidA, BurningBright and Aron like this.
      4. Corycm
        Corycm
        I set Cam a message that some of us didn't get the survey, etc. and he said he'd pass it on. So if you're on Team No Survey (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Team Bottom of the Stack), they've been made aware.
        Jan 29, 2018
        Aron likes this.
    10. Aron
      Aron
      Looks like Sturgill is going to be joining Chris Stapleton on SNL tonight.
      1. lee newman and mcherry like this.
    11. Aron
      Aron
      Just saw this on Twitter: ANTI is re-releasing Tom Waits' entire 1970's Elektra Asylum catalog. See next post for more info.
      2. DavidA
        DavidA
        I can't wait for Blue Valentine.
        Jan 19, 2018
        Aron and ranbalam like this.
      3. ranbalam
        ranbalam
        Someday they'll get to reissuing Bone Machine...right??
        Jan 19, 2018
        Aron likes this.
      4. bdm105
        bdm105
        Which means deals on the stuff that's out there!
        Jan 19, 2018
        Aron likes this.
    12. Aron
      Aron
      Although it appears to be an older piece from last year that was reposted on Facebook, nice job on the Top 10 Comeback albums list @mcherry.
      1. Eric, mcherry and Enaz Fox like this.
      2. Aron
        Aron
        I'm guessing an updated list from you might include last year's Slowdive comeback record. One of my picks would have been Marianne Faithfull's "Broken English". Even her damaged voice that cuts in and out couldn't destroy the killer songs/music/production on that record.
        Jan 18, 2018
      3. mcherry
        mcherry
        Hell yes Slowdive would be on there!
        Jan 19, 2018
    13. Aron
      Aron
      At home with the flu. Not exactly how I was hoping to start the new year.
      1. mcherry
        mcherry
        Hope you feel better soon!
        Jan 17, 2018
        Aron likes this.
      2. kvetcha
        kvetcha
        Feel better. I'm hearing it's particularly rough this year.
        Jan 17, 2018
        Aron likes this.
    14. Aron
      Aron
      Norah Jones' "The Fall" is supremely underrated IMO.
    15. Aron
      Aron
      Starting the day with some "Bowie at the Beeb".
      1. Tyr likes this.
      2. Tyr
        Tyr
        You know how to start a day!
        Jan 10, 2018
    16. Aron
      Aron
      Excited to see Alejandro Escovedo this coming Saturday. It's an anniversary show for his "A Man Under The Influence" album. Should be good.
      1. Psymon and slugr8 like this.
      2. hatfieldpdx
        hatfieldpdx
        Saw him play on Friday night. Full blown rock-n-roll, he's still got it!
        Jan 8, 2018
        Aron likes this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        He's been doing these shows in January here in Austin at the ACL Live venue the past few years. The first half is going to be "A Man Under The Influence" in full, and the second half is going to be a tribute to some musicians who have battled/are battling cancer. Supposed to be a number of special guests, which could be cool.
        Jan 8, 2018
        hatfieldpdx likes this.
      4. hatfieldpdx
        hatfieldpdx
        Nice! I saw him at a benefit concert for Scott McCaughey of The Minus 5, who recently suffered a stroke. Appearances by Peter Buck and Mike Mills (R.E.M.), Corin and Janet from Sleater-Kinney, James Mercer of the Shins, M. Ward, Patterson Hood (Drive By Truckers) and so many more. Photos here:
        https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0dGrq0zwGFkZvE
        Jan 8, 2018
        Aron likes this.
    17. Aron
      Aron
      Revisiting some of the early albums from The Gourds. Forgot how good those were.
      1. indiemisanthrope
        indiemisanthrope
        The Gin & Juice Gourds? I think that's the one & only time I've ever encountered that name.
        Jan 5, 2018
      2. Aron
        Aron
        Yep. I was really into them in the early 2000's, and then kind of lost track of them. Those early records on the Sugar Hill label are taking me back.
        Jan 5, 2018
        indiemisanthrope likes this.
    18. Aron
      Aron
      Just pre-ordered a VU box set. Gonna fill a giant hole in my collection with one order.
      1. mcherry and GritNGlitter like this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        Looks like the tracklisting for that 2-LP version is a match for what is included in this box. Honestly, if they fulfill the order, and everything arrives intact, I'll be a happy camper. I don't get too hung up on the limitedness or exclusivity issues. This is me being lazy, and not wanting to buy these individually.
        Jan 3, 2018
      4. Corycm
        Corycm
        I haven't found a lot of details about the 45th anniversary vs. the 50th anniversary pressings, so the main diff might just be collecting the reissues together and the slipcase.
        Jan 3, 2018
      5. Mr Moore
        Mr Moore
        Jan 3, 2018
        Corycm likes this.
    19. Aron
      Aron
      Is The Weeknd really a festival headliner? Legit question. I may just be out of the loop, but I've never felt he was on that level.
      1. EmeryRK likes this.
      3. Corycm
        Corycm
        Admittedly, I don't love the giant fests. I think the more specialized ones, like Newport for example, or Merlefest, will be fine. But I don't know if I believe Coachella or Bonnarroo are in it for the long haul. I'm probably wrong though.
        Jan 2, 2018
      4. wooha
        wooha
        I don't know about Bonnaroo, but Coachella is pulling in like $70-$80M profit each year, and has a lease at the Polo fields for some crazy amount of years into the future, so I think they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
        Jan 2, 2018
      5. Corycm
        Corycm
        There's just a crapload of event money out there in play, so you're probably right. I mean, just look at the EDM fests. Just absurd cash changing hands there alone.
        Jan 2, 2018
        wooha likes this.
    20. Aron
      1. bohnjaggs, GritNGlitter and Tyr like this.
      2. mcherry
        mcherry
        Slowdive is on there. Great list. ;)
        Dec 24, 2017
        Aron likes this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        Yeah, I had one track on my iTunes list that wasn't available on Spotify, and that was Will Johnson's 'The Predator'. That Will Johnson album was one of my favorites of the year. It has a nice, high and lonesome feel overall, but 'The Predator' was a bit more commercial sounding.
        Dec 24, 2017
      4. Aron
        Aron
        Also, I have a rule I try to stick to with these types of year end "Best Of" playlists, and that is one track per artist. There are many other really good songs from some of the artists/albums represented in that playlist that I excluded only because I like to build in parameters for these types of things. Us music nerds are a curious lot.
        Dec 24, 2017
  • About

Birthday:
    May 14

Signature

#TeamCurmudgeonly