Any Answers? Finding The Right Vinyl Club For You

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by Christine, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Christine

Christine Member

So, I need some help.
    I've been doing some research into varius vinyl clubs and there are many of them that seem good, but then you have people say all the things that they don't like about them, and there are a lot of mixed thoughts on this. You have some people that like one record club, but then you have people that aren't into record subscriptions at all, so I just don't know what to do. Also, it's not like I have money growing out of me. Haha!
    I just want honest feedback. I do realize that what one person, or even more than one person can say, is just what they think, and you have to make your own choice for yourself.
    Thanks.

2. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

It depends on what you want from a club. If you really like one genre or another, there may be a club for that. The beauty of this club as a whole is that it’s not defined by genre and looks to expand its member’s horizons. Despite complaints of it being indie rock oriented, I don’t think there is another club that will offer you Jazz, Funk, Hip Hop and indie rock in on place.

Look at the previous offerings of the clubs and gauge if those are things you want to listen to and give it a shot if they are.

Try one out for a month or two. It might cost a little more to do monthly, but you have the security of not renewing if you dislike.

If there isn’t a club out there that does it for you, then maybe curation isn’t what you really need and just Crate dig and buy the records you want.

Since I’ve joined this club, both through it’s offerings and the interaction with the good folks of this forum, I’ve cracked free jazz, I’ve come to appreciate Blues and Reggae as fun instead of things I need to listen to, and I’ve also been introduced to albums I probably wouldn’t have gotten otherwise and some of them rank as favorites of my 1000+ collection.

tvham, displayname, AnthonyI and 6 others like this.
  3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

I joined VMP to broaden my horizons. It's certainly done that. Do I love (or even like) every album I've been sent? Absolutely not. Is it perfect? No, but a "perfect" membership wouldn't have pushed me out if my comfort zone.

But some albums that have become favorites are titles either shipped as part of my membership or were add ons from the store that would have never hit my radar. That makes my membership worthwhile.

And the group here is the best anywhere. They'll turn you on to tons of music, and the Amazon thread is a God send (or a curse, depending on how you look at it.)

tvham, displayname, M Penny and 9 others like this.
  4. Eriatarka

Eriatarka Well-Known Member

displayname and lee newman like this.
  5. Christine

Christine Member

What about clubs like Black box, and VNYL?

lee newman likes this.
  6. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

In my opinion VNYL isn't so much a club as a subscription service that will unload cheap records on you. I believe a lot of us have major issues with the way that company is ran as well.

7. panino

panino Well-Known Member

@Christine one question for you, that will help people here to provide you with a better answer.

why do you want to subscribe to a record club?

once this is settled, we'll be able to give you a response that will make more sense to you.

displayname and lee newman like this.
  8. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

@panino poses a good question, but that being said these are the two comments that pretty much defines VMP ;)

And now with the option of changing "Tracks" as you see fit, you have some great options on when and what you want to explore outside your usual likes.

HiFi Guy, displayname and lee newman like this.
  9. Christine

Christine Member

Oh, there seems to be some people that like it, but then there's people that hate it. What about Black Box record club?

lee newman likes this.
  10. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm not familiar with that one. Sorry.

Not to knock anyone, but VNYL seems to be geared towards vinyl newbies who many not know better. So that could also explain the mixed reviews of it.

djxfactor511 and lee newman like this.
  11. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

You won’t find many VNYL fans here. We’re predisposed to dislike it.

12. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

I can’t tell about the other clubs because I haven’t really looked into them. But I can tell you about VMP.

Shortly after I got my first turntable a couple years ago, a friend of mine that has been into vinyl for years mentioned it to me as a cool way to get some really cool records. So I looked it up, saw that Beck was the record that month, and that I the majority of the records over the past year looked cool or were ones I’d already considered/owned. I signed up for 3 months and I’ve been here ever since.
    The forum community is free, but it’s a HUGE bonus of the club. Discovering music, talking gear, having discussions like this. It’s been really great.

Now the club has it’s quirks and weak moments, but overall I’m still happy with the record of the month selections, and pending anything crazy happening I fully intend to renew for another full year when that rolls around.

HiFi Guy, lee newman and dbarila like this.
  13. SKOT_FREE

SKOT_FREE Well-Known Member

VMP is all I need! Before joining VMP I didn’t think about joining a club but now that I have, I don’t need another unless we’re talking Blue Note having a club or like the stones Throw one but I’m good for now.

HiFi Guy, lee newman and mcherry like this.
  14. lee newman

Anybody want to tell him? (Both have clubs...)

displayname, mcherry and HiFi Guy like this.
  15. taylorgc1992

taylorgc1992 Well-Known Member

VNYL is a rip off unless there is an album you really want that they happen to be guaranteeing that month and it is expensive to get elsewhere. Also, it is only worth it if you get the 2 months for 1 deal. I did it once because they were offering a cool variant of an Australian psych rock album I wanted but couldn't find elsewhere unless I was willing to dish out a bunch of money for shipping. Otherwise, they mostly sent me junk that I will never listen to. They sent me Gill Landry which I love. It doesn't feel very curated though, it mainly feels like they are unloading stuff as other comments suggest.

HiFi Guy and dbarila like this.
  16. SKOT_FREE

Ok I knew stones throw has one, the shipping cost they charge kind of turned turned me off but Blue Note has a club? I’m going to check that out.

17. lee newman

If the shipping cost of stones throw threw you off, you might not want to check out blue note. Although @Enoch and @Tyr have all the money and can tell you how awesome it is.

mcherry and SKOT_FREE like this.
  18. SKOT_FREE

Hmmm well now I’m curious. I’m going to check out the blue note one, and recheck the Stones throw club.

lee newman likes this.
  19. Mrjay07

Mrjay07 Member

@Christine
    Hi!
    I'm new to vinyl but I can say whenever I've posted questions the people have been amazing and given honest advice.
    The music that flows through the club is brilliant. Even if I don't like the record of the month there's always something I can swap it out for. And the quality of the record is something to behold.
    Being based in the UK I can say that the 3 month package is very good value for money. Pretty much the same I pay for records in a shop.
    Good luck whatever you decide!

20. Shin Hayata

Shin Hayata Member

The 38 bucks I spent on one month of trying out VINYL will haunt me forever. Well, not quite lol but it was a complete waste of money on my part YMMV

Black Box on the other hand I've had much better luck with. He sent me two records that were really good choices for me. So I'm going to try it out a second month.

Joined Vinyl me Please a few weeks ago, and received my Fiona Apple record today. So I'm a happy camper so far :)

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018