ASK Storf

Discussion in 'General' started by ByersVinyl, Mar 13, 2017.

1. chrb98

chrb98 Well-Known Member

If "person we should make our rap exclusives decisions based on" is an open position I would like to apply, where do I drop off my resume?

2. mcherry

mcherry Moderator

lee newman likes this.
  3. oplin

oplin Well-Known Member

i can'tt get to the link... it keeps trying to get em to register.. BUT i guarantee that if @thestorfer wrote it... its a shit list. ;) <3

4. thestorfer

thestorfer Administrator Staff Member

It ain't me, I don't think the best British rapper is even better than the worst rapper in Atlanta!

Woob_woob and gouis like this.
  5. oplin

oplin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

GritNGlitter and lee newman like this.
  6. oplin

oplin Well-Known Member

please explain to me how the best verses on drakes last album are by british rappers and rap circles around every verse that come out of drake mouth the entire album?

7. thestorfer

Dude, 2 Chainz and Young Thug had the best verses on More Life.

lee newman and Woob_woob like this.
  8. teee74

teee74 Well-Known Member

Forgive me if this has been asked.... but this thread started when I was on sabbatical and I haven't read every page of it.

Who is your favorite artist and why?
    Favorite album? Why?
    What do you think is the best pop song of all time? (And then I'll share mine).

How did you get into writing? (I told the story just yesterday of how I knew law was what I wanted to persue).

lee newman likes this.
  9. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

You guys are lucky, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

10. thestorfer

Good time to ask this. The main site is still jacked which means I'm twiddling my thumbs.

I guess the answer is probably Kanye? I have listened to his discography more than any other artist (with Dylan, The Beatles, the Talking Heads, and Otis Redding filling in the top 5) and am completely convinced he's going to be the milennial version of the Beatles (with Beyonce as the only challenger to that; and ultimately she should probably win that, but you know, representation of women in the canon). I mean, I know where I was when Graduation leaked (my Reporting 1 class junior year of college. I faked like I needed to go home for an emergency during lab time to go download it). I listened to Yeezus 75 times the week it came out when I was on vacation in the woods of Michigan; for that reason I don't see electronics when I listen to that; I visualize canyons of trees during "On Sight." I own shitty bootlegs of half his catalog just because I want to own his records on vinyl so bad. I went through a neverending breakup during My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy's release month that will be seared in my subconscious forever.

I guess it's because his music has soundtracked basically every pivotal moment of my adult life--College Dropout came out the winter I graduated High school, 808s and Heartbreak the summer after I graduated college, Life of Pablo when I turned 30--and I think there's a lot more going on in his music than people give him credit for (I have a whole theory about his albums charting a path of getting people to actually SEE him, and him realizing they wouldn't make his dad a part of his life/bring his mom back, and that's why Yeezus and Life of Pablo are so angry).

This answer changes by the week, more or less, but if I search my soul, and am honest with myself and with you, it's honestly Blonde on Blonde by Dylan. There's something about that album that makes me return to it between October and January every year, and just spin the shit out of it. I would venture I have listened to that thing 1000 times in my life since I first heard it at 17. I never listen to it outside of that window tho, it's like the perfect album for mid-fall dead of winter, and then I stop listening to it obsessively, and rediscover it every year.

The only other honest answer is probably The Strokes' Is This It. Came out when I was 15, and I have dissected that thing to the point where I could recognize the rhythm guitar lines on "Last Nite" from 3 notes. And I think I love that one because--unlike as portrayed by the music media--in middle America, liking the Strokes in 2001 didn't make you "basic" or mean you like boring rock, it meant you were a stickying pudding weirdo who didn't listen to Linkin Park. And liking the Strokes became part of my identity in trying to be different than my peers at the time, I guess. It's the only album I think I'm qualified to write a 33 1/3 book about.

This is a tough question. What era are we considering? What defines a pop song? Is it "I Want to Hold Your Hand"? Is it "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay"?

If I had to pick a MODERN pop song, Summer Love by Justin Timberlake.

So, this is a long and winding story, like I assume most "career path" decisions are. In high school, I wrote two movie reviews for the school paper, won a young writers award from a local college, and promptly quit the newspaper over what I felt were unfair copyediting practices (if someone treated me the way I treated my editors back then they'd never write for me again). When I formally quit the paper, the advisor of the newspaper told me if I don't like how they edit, I should start my own newspaper. So I did. It was called Guerrilla Newspaper (I was way into reading about the Cuban revolution at the time...I was a weird 16 year old) and I nearly got suspended for it multiple times (even longer story) and ran it with my best friend and another friend for 12 issues. We had release parties, had people who helped out in the offices in my high school making clandestine copies since my parents would only fund 200 copies of each issue. We hired a friend to be head of distribution (we paid him in Burger King). We poached a writer from the school paper. Functionally, I have been chasing the high of writing a single page, 8 1/2 X 11 paper ever since.

Career path from that to VMP went like this: Majored in Poli Sci, changed to education, changed, finally, duh, to journalism. Graduated, worked at a site called Prefix for 4 years (2 years too long, tbh), and worked at Target to supplement my income. Prefix started paying slower and slower, so I quit to freelance at AV Club Madison and Potholes in My Blog, and worked full time as a manager at Target. AV Club Madison closed like 7 weeks later. So I worked at Target full time, and became a near alcoholic because I had no writing outlet (Potholes was around, but I didn't want to only write rap reviews). So one, weekend in 2012 I start live tweeting listening to my records in alphabetical order. Eric Sundermann (who in 2017 is the Editor in Chief at Noisey, but in 2012 was an assistant at Village Voice) says we should do a Tumblr together where we write about our albums in alphabetical order. So we start a Tumblr. Bc Eric is busy and I am the opposite, it quickly just becomes my Tumblr. My 8th follower was a blog called Vinyl + Cocktails (which was run by Cam and Levi, and whom I end up writing for a bit). Because the stuff I'm writing about my life and my relationship to music is honest and better than anything I wrote at Prefix, I end up getting assignments from Noisey and a local alt weekly, and build a functional freelance career. I quit Target to manage gift stores at UW Madison, which was a sweet job bc I was a state employee and had insane amounts of vacation, which allowed me to take off to cover week long fests and stuff for Noisey. In 2015, Cam is a partner at VMP and asks me to start writing for their newsletter and eventually, their blog (he also had me make a playlist around the Dilla and Madvillainy months, so I have those records from him for payment). In August of 2015, I decide that I don't want to stock shelves for a living, and take a job as the assistant editor of a Business to Business publication that covers the Cable industry for people inside the cable industry. It was cool for a bit--I got to fly around in a private jet to try out Go Go's in-flight wireless at one point--but mostly I was miserable, and tried and failed not to sleep in my cubicle. Meanwhile, VMP is having meetings about bringing in more employees, and the decide they want a content editor. They start kicking around what they're looking for, and someone says, "Well, what we want is Winistorfer, right?". They reach out to me. What's crazy is that 36 hours before I get an email from Tyler asking me if I wanna work for VMP I told my gf I needed to find a new job or I was gonna die, lol.

Anyways, does that answer the question?

11. teee74

teee74 Well-Known Member

I love the insight! Your guerilla newspaper story could be a movie!

I don't like Dylan, although I appreciate his importance. I'm listening to Blonde on Blonde today to see if my tastes have changed.

Yeah, I'm not sure what I meant by best pop song of all time. I guess more modern pop. Because to me, Sitting on the Dock of the Bay is a soul song. But I get that it can be considered pop.

Favorite artist for me: Hopefully @everyone knows this by now. Read the SK thread.

Favorite album: Ditto above. It's Dig Me Out. Read the SK thread. Or my entry that won me a guitar.

Best pop song of all time - Probably Respect. But of modern time - I Want It That Way. Why? Because just try not to sing along to it when it comes on. Just try. Even people that dismiss pop or are "too macho" for boy bands know all the words.

Here's the story I told yesterday - I was 16 and got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign. I told my parents that I had stopped. They said, OK, let's go to court to contest the ticket. My dad and I went out to the "scene of the crime". We took measurements (how far was the cop from me when he saw me not stop, etc). I drew up a diagram. I wrote out questions I wanted to ask the cop. The day of court came. I dressed up. I sat in the courtroom with people in sweat pants and baseball caps and just not professional looking attire. I watched each one of them have their tickets upheld. My name is called. I ask the judge if I can ask the cop questions. And he allowed it. "Sir, how far were you from me when you observed my car approach the stop sign?"
    "About 11 feet."
    "Well actually, if I can show you this diagram, you were over 40 feet away."
    LOL. I WAS 16!!!!! This went on for a little bit more.
    The judge dismissed the charges against me. My dad chuckled a lot as we walked out of the courtroom. Later in life, he told me that right then is when he knew I would persue law.

12. chris_d_cole

chris_d_cole Well-Known Member

Best Pop Song: Since U Been Gone

13. gouis

gouis Well-Known Member

I have recently decided that I don't like Bob Dylan. I get it and I used to listen to a lot of his albums. But mostly it just leaves me flat.

thestorfer and teee74 like this.
  14. lee newman

I did not like Dylan until college. My sophomore year, he played a high school auditorium in Spartanburg, TN. My friends are all going, so I have a ride. I'm like why not go see a living legend. I grab a copy of Freewheelin' in an attempt to prepare for the show. Night of the concert, he has a young band almost grunge sounding. They play Tangled Up in Blue, been a big Dylan fan ever since. It was the only religious experience I've ever had at a show. Show is tied for best all time concert with NIN opening for Bowie on the inside out tour. Blood on the Tracks is my personal favorite.

I'll have to think about favorite album and pop song for a bit. I know my favorite song, it's A Day I. The Life by The Beatles, who also happen to be my all time favorite Band (favorite working band is Punch Brothers)

On second thought, I don't need to think about favorite album, it's Ill Communication by the Beastie boys.

Pop Song will take a minute though.... there are soooooo many.

teee74 likes this.
  15. lee newman

Didn't really have to think too long on Pop Song either, it's my second favorite song all time "When Doves Cry"

16. teee74

teee74 Well-Known Member

This is fun! @thestorfer - if you had your way - What one album would you feature as AOTM?

Best concert you ever saw?

Earliest music memory?

displayname and lee newman like this.
  17. thestorfer

1. Garth Brooks, No Fences. But it seems he's convinced A) No one wants his stuff on vinyl and B) It doesn't sound as good as CD

2. For sheer spectacle: Kanye West and Jay-Z Watch the Throne tour in Chicago. I was close enough to feel like I got burned by pyro. For sheer musical feat, LCD Soundsystem in Milwaukee on their farewell tour.

3. Laying on the floor of my folks' house in Wausau, Wisconsin at about 4, watching Vh1 music videos all afternoon. I remember wanting to live inside the Batdance video.

The_Stoned_Ape and teee74 like this.
  18. mcherry

mcherry Moderator

Someone buy Garth a TT set up and a copy of Willie Nelson's Stardust stat!

19. teee74

teee74 Well-Known Member

1. I'm not sure about what I would want. Maybe that Elastica album. But I would be SOOOOOOO down with No Fences.

2. SK in Towson, MD. Long ago. a) Because I met Janet stickying pudding Weiss outside of the show and she is as cool as you imagine and b) Because they played One More Hour. It was the first time I had heard it live by them. And it made me cry. Oddly enough, I went to that show by myself. EDIT FOR NON-SK: The first time I saw the National - they opened for Arcade Fire. And I was blown the sticky pudding away! Or the first time I saw TVotR. At the 9:30 club in DC. And again, was blown away. Or when I saw an unknown to me artist named Basia Bulat open for Dvotchka and she blew them out of the water.

3. My dad playing the Marshall Tucker Band on his tt.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 9:59 AM
  20. teee74

teee74 Well-Known Member

@thestorfer - when are you going to have a member (me specifically) curate some store selections?

bettim84, lee newman and Siglet like this.