Audio setup question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradleySavannah, Jun 7, 2018.

1. BradleySavannah

BradleySavannah Member

Hey guys I understand that starting a new thread is probably not the way to go about this so direct me in the right direction and delete this if you need to.
    My set up right now is

Turntable - Pro-ject - 1 Xpression carbon
    Cartridge - ortofon - blue
    Pre-amp - Pro-ject phono box dc
    Speakers - krk - rokit 8

My question is that I just bought the phono pre amp but since it doesn’t have a volume nob the speakers are pretty loud even with the speakers volume turned all the way down. I want to be able to turn the speakers up to get the best out of them while haveing controls over the whole sound system instead o what I have to do right now which is constantly turn the speakers around and change their volume separately. If you guys have any suggestions please help me out! I know you guys know way more about this stuff than I do!

2. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

That PhonoBox has like....three gain settings, IIRC. Try backing it off to the lowest (40Db I think). I can’t remember if the DC has buttons or dipswitches for that, offhand.

3. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

So the phono box is a phono preamp. It's function is to bring the signal from the turntable up to a line level - not to control the volume. Your speakers are powered monitors which receive a line level input, and they have a master volume control on the back. What you need is some sort of volume control that goes between the preamp and the powered speakers. Most studio monitor brands make a solution for this. The two that come to my mind are the JBL Nano Patch and the Mackie Big Knob. I have no experience with either, I've just seen them in reviews. There are a wide range of options for this though. I would just Google "Studio Monitor Volume Control" and find what fits your liking. A proper studio volume control should be an "attenuated signal" which *shouldn't* color the sound at all when it's implemented.

kvetcha and wgb113 like this.