Austin, Tx - Record Store Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by swamp, Dec 9, 2016.

1. swamp

swamp Well-Known Member

I'm taking a work trip to Austin in January and have one free afternoon/evening to pack in all my record shopping. I'm staying right on the Colorado river it looks like, so any recommendations for shops near there would be much appreciated!

2. swamp

swamp Well-Known Member

Might as well update this in case future folks are curious (cross posted from Fresh Grabs).

I just wrapped up a 3 day trip to Austin, Texas (I'm from LA) where I got to visit 3 local Austin shops.

Waterloo Records!

[​IMG]

I loved this shop. It was right in the heart of the action in town, big, well organized, and there were a lot of sale bins and used new arrivals. I picked up a shirt and two records here:

[​IMG]

Defiance, Ohio - Great Depression LP used
    Busman's Holiday - A Long Goodbye LP (VIP version) only $10 brand new!

I also went to End of an Ear!

[​IMG]

It's in a less busy part of town by the highway. I loved this shop too. Lots of records and many good prices. I got two shirts and two records:

[​IMG]

Damien Jurado - Maraqopa LP new, it was only $13 so I grabbed it
    Talking Heads - Little Creatures LP used, not my favorite record by them but I dig it and have been meaning to pick up a cheap used copy

I also went to Encore Records but, to be honest, I didn't like it very much. It was located in a sketchy abandoned part of town (this was around 8-9pm at night on a Saturday). I didn't find anything I would want to pick up. A lot of the used records were shredded dollar bin style LPs (mixed in there was better used stock). Some of the prices I saw were average to high. If I dropped the ball on Encore, let me know and I'd be glad to check it out again if I find myself back in Austin.

Great trip.

teee likes this.