Baseball

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Benjamin Dashley, Apr 11, 2016.

1. RenegadeMonster

RenegadeMonster Well-Known Member

Haha, I love that NESN is playing the game "Guess that Orioles".

Current conditions at Fenway Park is 34 with a wintery mix. Feels like temp of 24.

Most every Orioles is wearing a black ski mask today. To add to the fun, they are all wearing the number 42 today :p

2. Crunchewy

Crunchewy Well-Known Member

At least the Orioles have names on their jerseys

djxfactor511 likes this.
  3. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

The Red Sox and Mets can’t be this good all year, they’re going to have to lose some games eventually right?

Aron likes this.
  4. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

It's a weird season so far. Bartolo Colon was virtually un-hittable last night against the Astros throwing just nasty stuff that Astros hitters had no idea what to do with. I wasn't expecting that. He completely overshadowed another stellar performance from Verlander.

5. RenegadeMonster

RenegadeMonster Well-Known Member

Isn't there another team, I think from California that is 13 and 3 as well?

wokeupnew and Aron like this.
  6. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

The Angels are off to a hot start.

wokeupnew likes this.
  7. taylorgc1992

taylorgc1992 Well-Known Member

To be fair though, the Astros hitters haven't been hitting much of anything from anyone lately. They have been winning games (the ones they have won) on the back of strong starts from Morton, Verlander, and Cole. Last night marks the second time in the past few games that the Astros have clawed their way back just to lose.

Lets not forget the game they won simply because the other team's first baseman lost track of an infield blooper.

I am holding out hope that the bats will come alive. I am just hoping it is sooner rather than later so we don't have to play catch-up with the Angels come mid-season.

Also, I think "completely overshadowed" is a bit of a stretch. They both had stellar performances. Had he actually tossed a no-hitter, Colon may have overshadowed Verlander but at the end of the day, their stat-lines were essentially the same other than Verlander going a full 8 innings instead of 7 and change.

wokeupnew and Aron like this.
  8. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

I hear you, but, that announcing crew, from what I heard, was losing their minds over Colon's performance. He's pushing 45 years of age, so, that is a compelling story angle. That is really what I meant by my comment. Verlander had more strikeouts, but made that one mistake for the home run.

The bats definitely need to wake up. I keep seeing small signs where it feels like certain players maybe have turned a corner, but, then things go silent again. Can't rely on those arms to carry all of the weight all year.

taylorgc1992 likes this.
  9. djxfactor511

djxfactor511 Well-Known Member

I know Colon has some crap in his past personal life, but I can't not root for Big Sexy.

Also, that game was incredible on both sides. Probably incredibly boring for some in the crowd, but as a former pitcher I love duels like that.

10. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

My only problem with the game was that it went into extra innings and clashed with "Silicon Valley" and "Barry". It was moving so quickly that I thought I might be able to essentially watch everything in real time. Seriously though, it was a good game other than my team losing. Respect to Colon for going out there and doing that at his age. I didn't think he would be able to keep that level going as long as he did.

Woob_woob and taylorgc1992 like this.
  11. taylorgc1992

taylorgc1992 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I also suppose the big thing is that announcers expect performances like that from Verlander, it is pretty par for the course. But they don't expect stuff like that from Colon (at least not in over a decade).

But yeah, I expect McCullers and Keuchel to get it together and start pitching better. I also expect Cole and Morton to come down to earth a little bit and get those ERAs to around 3.

Gurriel is showing some solid contact since he has come back. Not all have been hits but at least he is making pitchers work and not striking out.

Aron likes this.