Books, Books, Books!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jake!, May 11, 2015.

1. GritNGlitter

GritNGlitter Well-Known Member

Have I shown you our study? I don't remember. FB_IMG_1515208507580.jpg

abiku13, Jake!, ranbalam and 9 others like this.
  2. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

just found an original copy of it to add to my collection on Friday

3. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

07672241-87D2-4311-B185-B2C038F79A70.jpeg
    Just finished this little book. It’s part of a series called Object Lessons which lets a different writer pick an object and write whatever they want. I think it’s billed as the secret history of everyday things or something. This one is great. It’s a real quick read, and totally worth picking up if you’re interested at all in music (so everybody here) or technology.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Nathaniel D., Tyr and Kris like this.
  4. DavidA

DavidA The sun's not yellow, it's chicken

Who's on that bust?

5. GritNGlitter

Zeno of Citium, of course.

DavidA likes this.
  6. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

*nods head in complete approval*

This is fantastic! A true intellectuals study if ever I saw one :)
    I also really like those corner cases as well. Very chic and extremely practical as well.

7. indiemisanthrope

indiemisanthrope Well-Known Member

I picked up a bust of someone vaguely Roman-looking at a vintage shop a few years ago and I don’t know who he is, so I named him Eddard Stark, or Ned the Head for short.

Which is all to say that room is amazing and I’m jealous.

Nathaniel D., ranbalam and DavidA like this.
  8. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

Our upstairs reading room looks like this:

nqsu1yItR2i4nS3J2xse3g.jpg

Not shown in the pic are two other horizontal Ikea 4x2's filled with books as well as the 3 lazy boy recliners we have up there since there are usually more than one of us at any given time in the room. But the Ikea shelves don't match these built in shelves so I'm trying to figure out what to do with them.

Also, we have built in bookshelves downstairs off our dining room. They house all of our cookbooks and food related books. One of these days though I want to consolidate all of our books into the upstairs "library". Baby steps and whatnot since the furniture will have to be custom.

9. GritNGlitter

Aw, thanks. Yeah, those are just Ikea Billy units, but they work. There's a statue of Fortune to the left of the corner unit, but she's hard to make out in the picture. Presents for my Stoic.

Excellent name for a bust.

I'm a big believer in every member of a household having a "dreaming" space, whether it's a well-placed chair in a corner, or a whole room. When we moved in here I gave Mr.Glitter the downstairs "office" and recommended moving most of our bookcases in there, both because it makes sense space-wise, and because I know he comes alive in that kind of room. Not pictured is the blue chenille wingback chair and ottoman in the corner (he's sitting in it to take this picture), and I put my old parsons desk in there to keep it from being too stodgy. We found that boat in the top corner in our attic, isn't that dreamy? Whoops, I might be getting a little too "home projects" for the books thread, hahaha. But anyway, the study is his room for the most part, though I work in there sometimes and BabyGlitter likes to pout in his chair when she's mad at us. <3

Lovely! I would love to have custom built-ins, but that's a bit steep for our budget. I *have* been kicking around the idea of getting a bit of crown molding and trimming the tops to create the illusion of built-ins. So far it's too fussy for me to prioritize, but eventually, maybe.

I have 2 horizontal 4x2 Kallax in my studio upstairs, filled with art, design, craft, and sewing books (plus related supplies), there is another horizontal 4x2 for children's books in the kiddo's room, and I keep cooking and gardening books in a bookcase in the dining room. I love bookcases throughout a home. So cozy.

Tyr and indiemisanthrope like this.
  10. DavidA

I see the Harry Potter books on one of the shelves?

Tyr likes this.
  11. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

But of course! American AND British versions. I’m a sucker for all things Harry Potter

12. DavidA

A completist. You're inspiring me to change my shelving units at home, actually.

Tyr likes this.
  13. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

Someone liked the post that caused you to reply to this, so I saw this post again. Kindred was O U T S T A N D I N G. I read it almost a year ago but amazing. The ePub I downloaded had an appendix that talked about her place in sci-fi literature and my reaction to that was “I mean I guess this was science fiction. But it felt more like historical fiction with a twist.” Idk I loved it. Are any of her other books worth reading as well?
    #GOALS

Tyr likes this.
  14. Kris

Kris Well-Known Member

I so glad you liked it! I tell everyone to read that book. It’s a classic!

I’m ashamed to say I haven’t read any others. I tried a couple and couldn’t get into them. Kindred is amazing though. I agree that it doesn’t really come across as science fiction. I’m suprised that it was never made into a movie.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    wokeupnew likes this.
  15. Nathaniel D.

Nathaniel D. Well-Known Member

Hey guys! I've been trying to be intentional to read more lately, been in a bit of a reading slump since I moved to a new state and work some pretty crazy hours. So of course, what did I start with? Gravity's Rainbow. It's the clear choice for someone who lost their speed and retention for reading to start back with. But in all seriousness, I've been loving it so far. I'm ~1/4 of the way through, and Pynchon's writing has really struck me. It's all so cinematic (if that makes any sense), and it's so easy to get lost in the rambling run-ons and details, but it seems like Pynchon can pull you back into the main story at exactly the right time. As I was getting started I read a few "How to read Pynchon" guides since I knew this would be a challenge, and the point that I think has helped me the most with it is to let yourself be carried along with the flow of the book. Accept that not everything will be clear and don't worry about things that don't quite make sense. It feels great to read 3 pages of what seems like gibberish at the time, but 30 or 40 pages later reading one or two sentences and then it all clicks. It's been slow going (I've been working on it about 3 months now, like I said, I work insane and inconsistent hours.) but I'm determined to get through it and be able to be proud of myself for completing this book.

The Things They Carried is still my all-time favorite book. I've read much better books, but I think that was the first one that I felt such a deep emotional resonance with. Had to read it for classes in both high school and college, and of course Tim O'Brien gave a lecture at my college the year before I got there.

I picked up Going After Cacciato a few weeks ago in a secondhand bookstore, haven't gotten into it yet. I've heard some very good things!

indiemisanthrope likes this.
  16. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I have to finish a couple of shorter books, The Familiar Vol. 6, and IT, and then I’m thinking about finally tackling Gravity’s Rainbow.

Nathaniel D. likes this.
  17. ayayrawn

ayayrawn Well-Known Member

Gravity's Rainbow is a trip.

Nathaniel D. likes this.
  18. BjorgenFjorgen

BjorgenFjorgen Well-Known Member

Awesome, good for you! I've had Gravity's Rainbow on my shelf for almost five years now, trying to will myself up to it. I've read V. and loved it, and am currently re-reading The Crying of Lot 49 as well, to get myself prepared for Rainbow later this year. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it so much.

Nathaniel D. likes this.
  19. BattleFlag

BattleFlag Well-Known Member

So after getting it for Christmas a couple years ago, I am finally reading "I Want My MTV". It's a really fun read, and pretty wild to hear about how the whole MTV concept barely got off the ground and then became the cocaine-mountained wild west.

I'm a big fan of the "oral history" style, and I have "Meet Me In The Bathroom" queued up next so I will keep that train going.

20. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

I hear you! I'm glad that the house came with custom built-in shelves but it makes matching anything to them a bit more difficult. And I'm not ready to spend more right now to build additional units when I know I'm just going to run out of room. LOL

It really is such a great book! One of my favorites in my collection.

Nathaniel D. likes this.