Can we discuss tube rolling?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Haas, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Haas

Haas Active Member

Currently I have a Budgie Tube Preamp by Parks Audio and starting looking into changing out the tubes. While I am not sure if it would even make much of a difference in the preamp. I have inquired about a matched pair of Gold Lions. So I may pull the trigger just to see what improvements, if any.

Has anyone experimented with this and achieved any worthwhile results?

2. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

Not with that piece, but I have a couple of favorite current production tubes:

12AU7- Gold Lion

12AX7- Sovtek LPS

Jspaul and lee newman like this.
  3. howmuchartcanyoutake

howmuchartcanyoutake Well-Known Member

I'm curious about this as well. I've been enjoying the stock tubes in my Sphinx v2 but I know that the tubes can be replaced with some nice changes to the sound quality. I've been thinking about trying a couple Gold Lion tubes as well but heard some people say they really liked RCA Clear Tops and Mullard tubes. I'm not sure what the differences are in the tubes and how they change the sound so I'd love to hear from some experienced tube guys @HiFi Guy

4. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

Tagged for interest.

5. HiFi Guy

@howmuchartcanyoutake A few of us had tried new old stock Mullards, and while they sound awesome, we all had reliability issues with them in Rogue amps. Not something I want or can recommend when spending $100 on a pair of tubes.

Just as some engines are harder on motor oil than others, some amp and preamp designs are as well. The Rogue seems to fall into this camp. The Gold Lions sound great and I've had no issues. @blujay has had no issues with RCA clear tops. Many people like the factory JJ tubes, and they are quite inexpensive.

6. Haas

Haas Active Member

Just to bring this back to life -

I have a matched pair of Gold Lions delivering today. So I will be testing a bunch of albums. Curious if I will notice any difference with them over the stock EH

7. HiFi Guy

I'll bet you will hear an improvement.

8. Haas

Haas Active Member

You were right. It's down right sorcery on how much of a difference.

Being a drummer, I tend to focus on that and I swear it sounds like the snare drum tone even changed.

HiFi Guy likes this.