Connecticut

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by wokeupnew, Apr 17, 2015.

1. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

Anyone here live in/from Connecticut?

What are your favorite record stores? favorite places to see shows? other music/vinyl related things about Connecticut?

2. JustPlainJohn

JustPlainJohn Active Member

Yes sir! I go to Redscroll in Wallingford a bunch. They're not particularly friendly though so I'm open to suggestions. As far as favorite place to see a show, Toad's def ranks up there for CT. I feel like the beauty of CT isn't so much CT but its proximity to NYC, Providence, and Boston. Irving Plaza in Union Square, Manhattan is hand's down my fav place to see shows in the North East, although Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn is pretty awesome too.

wokeupnew likes this.
  3. wokeupnew

Yeah.... They're never friendly it's so weird. It's a shame because they have the best store/selection out of anyone else. I also go to Willimantic Records from time to time because I know people who put on shows there and they're usually fun. Also a very nice store with mostly used stuff.

As for shows, The Space/Outer Space/Spaceland Ballroom are usually the go to place for most things I'm into. Manic Productions always brings the best shows. I'm really excited about College Street Music Hall too. I saw one show there so far and it's a great venue. It's about time some bigger acts come here rather than skipping over CT between NYC and Boston. I'm seeing Decemberists next week, Beach House next month, Jesus and Mart Chain, Ride, and maybe Modest Mouse.

I've been to NYC or Boston several times over the years for those bigger types of shows but now I may not have to as much anymore and the prospect of that makes me so happy.

Toad's kind of sucks. Occasionally someone will play there I want to see (Swans, of Montreal) but the venue is pretty crap otherwise.

4. JustPlainJohn

Its such a shame. And their trade prices suck. It sucks because their selection is sick. Willimantic is kind of a haul for me. I'm in the Waterbury/New Haven area, but I'd be game to take the ride for a cool show. Yeah I've heard good things about College Street Music Hall. Irving Plaza is actually a tiny place, but they do have more mainstream type acts there. I saw MeWithoutYou and Alkaline Trio there years ago and it was amazing.

Toads does kinda suck but its also awesome at the same time. The sound isn't bad unless its super heavy stuff. I've seen some awesome shows there over the year. Maybe that's where my love for them comes in. Earl Sweatshirt is playing there in September. I heard about the Modest Mouse show, where is it? New Haven right?

wokeupnew likes this.
  5. wokeupnew

I'm in Middletown so it's like in the middle for me (pun intended :rolleyes:). I go to a ton of shows, like 20-25 a year. I don't think I've been to Irving, I usually go to Terminal 5, Bowery shows. Yeah it's in New Haven. You should really look up Manic Productions because they put on by far the best shows in CT IMO.

JustPlainJohn likes this.
  6. JustPlainJohn

Thanks man! I'll have to check that out. I know what you mean about being 20-25 and going to a ton of shows, unfortunately I'm in my 30s now so shows aren't as easy to get to. Got to see Circa, The Sound of Animals Fighting, and Alkaline Trio last year so I have that to hang my head on lol. So far this year its been Diamond Rugs and I took my girlfriend to a Odesza/Little Dragon show a couple of months ago in Boston. Really trying to see The War on Drugs at Radio City this October.

wokeupnew likes this.
  7. wokeupnew

I meant 20-25 as in 20-25 shows per year. But I am also in that age range. And I know what you mean when you get to an age when you don't go as much anymore

8. MadLucas

MadLucas Well-Known Member

If you haven't already, check out the shows at Fairfield Theater Company's Warehouse. Saw Yo La Tengo there a year and a half ago, absolutely the best sounding show I have been to in years.

KenKaniff likes this.