1. Starting at 8AM (Mountain) on Saturday, October 21st, we'll be taking the site down for a few minutes to perform an upgrade. We'll make it quick ;)

Equipment Questions, Suggestions, And Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TimmahTao, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

I can always ask!

Man, you should see their demo room. The last time I was there they had Moon 888 by Sim Audio power amps (120k per pair) paired with Rockport Technologies Cygnus speakers (62k per pair). It was A-FREAKIN-MAZING!

They cater to a completely different type of demographic. But its fun to go to their listening events.

lee newman and displayname like this.
  2. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

Oh also, here's pics from their last listening party that I attended. Get ready to be extremely jelly of the people that end up with systems such as these.

System:
    MOON 888 Power Amplifiers
    MOON 850P Preamplifier
    MOON 810LP Phono Stage
    MOON 780D Streaming DAC
    MOON 820S Power Supply
    Grand Prix Audio Parabolica Turntable
    Rockport Cygnus Loudspeakers
    Transparent Reference and XL Cabling

Esoteric1.jpg
    Esoteric2.jpg

Alexander, wooha, lee newman and 3 others like this.
  3. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

This full system is the price of an average American home AND a brand new car. You could literally change the life for a family in need... or buy this stereo.

I want it.

HiFi Guy, lee newman and Enaz Fox like this.
  4. pavementos

pavementos Member

Thanks all!

Really difficult to me tell what makes most sense. Seems like people have various gripes and loyalties but they all seem like nice, aesthetically-pleasing options to me.

I've seen the 2.2 for $299 in a few places. Would you all vote for that over than, say, a customized Orbit, a Pro-ject essential, Denon 300 or Akai BT500?

My priorities:
    -Want to be able to switch between 33 and 45 without an inordinate amount of hassle. Is that actually a pain on the TT's where you have to move the belt? I wouldn't mind it if its quick to do.
    -Want something that has the potential for cartridge upgrades in the future if I ever get to the point where I can appreciate that level of detail.

5. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Well-Known Member

I would be curious about the Grand Prix TT sound...............Moon gear I have heard a billion times here in Canada(its built here) ...its an excellent product, but not my flavour. I adore the Midrange on Rockports.

displayname, Tyr and HiFi Guy like this.
  6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

I'd go Music Hall or UTurn. Some do have difficulty changing speeds with the UTurn though.

The Music Hall comes with a proprietary Ortofon based cartridge. I'd want to upgrade that.

The Teac and Akai are not in the same league.

displayname and AnthonyI like this.
  7. HiFi Guy

Hold it. You bought your system with Canadian dollars? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Seriously, I feel bad for you when it comes to your monetary value. I envy your health care though.

And you spelled flavor incorrectly. ;)

8. torchblu65

torchblu65 New Member

Hi all,

Just a quick question. My turntable bit the dust after 30 years, and I picked up an Orbit this week. Does anyone know where to pick up a good cork mat with a label recess that doesn't throw off the VTA? It looks like the one they have doesn't have the recess.

FWIW, I'm not sure how these guys are making any money selling these at the prices they charge. This is a seriously nice piece of kit for the cash.

Thanks in advance!

displayname, HiFi Guy and AnthonyI like this.
  9. HiFi Guy

Welcome!

Here you go. The label in the middle is a sticker that comes off.

This is actually a rubber/cork composite.

http://www.hifigem.com/rcc-record-mat.html

10. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

eBay may be your best bet for a cork mat with a recess.......but I'll toss in my love of the acrylic mat now. I love this thing ;)

20170710_221421.jpg

20170711_210442.jpg

11. Tanqueray

Haha I bought a few pieces a cpl years ago when the $ CAD and the $USD were the exact same .......hehehe .......I feel sorry for the Brits,Europe and Oz/NZ when they buy Mcintosh.......they pay even more then Canadians usually...............as for the spelling Diffs...LOL ....here is a boring lesson :p:p:p:p:p:p......

There are some general rules which can be identified when considering Canadian, British and American spelling........

Words ending in an unstressed “-our” in English and Canadian (e.g. “honour”, “colour”, “flavour”, “armour”) are usually spelled without the “u” in American usage (e.g. “honor”, “color”, “flavor”, “armor”). A notable exception is “glamour” which retains the “u” in American, as often does “saviour”.
    Derived words (e.g. “honourable”, colourful”, “flavoursome”, etc) are usually consistent with this rule, although with the suffixes “-ate”, “-ation”, “-ize”, “-ific”, “-iferous” and “-ous” the “u” disappears in all countries (e.g. “honorific”, “humorous”, “vigorous”, “laborious”, “invigorate”).

displayname, Tyr, wooha and 3 others like this.
  12. torchblu65

torchblu65 New Member

That's the one. I had seen you post this as I was wandering around reading forum posts when I was researching turntables, but then forgot where I saw it. Very glad you are on call tonight!

BTW, some of your posts about the Orbit were kinda the final straw in making my decision. Solid table. You're a good asset to this community.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    HiFi Guy and AnthonyI like this.
  13. HiFi Guy

Thanks for the lesson. I forget that Canada was formerly part of the British Empire.

I'd like to formally thank you for Rush, Neil Young, and Barenaked Ladies. I'd also like to apologize for offending you and causing Canada to send Celene Dion and Justin Bieber. We are sorry, you can take them back now. :D

14. torchblu65

torchblu65 New Member

That looks slick on the white table. Would look funny on mine, as I didn't get the acrylic. Just did a cartridge upgrade. But the acrylic platters do look real nice.

AnthonyI, lee newman and HiFi Guy like this.
  15. Tanqueray

Hehe they are yours now :)

16. HiFi Guy

I was afraid you'd say that. :oops:

mcherry, displayname and AnthonyI like this.
  17. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

I'm curious myself. I hope they are demo-ing the TT combo when I am a able to swing by their showroom.

The Rockports really blew me away. Granted, it was my first time listening to a system such as this so my basis of comparison was is relatively skewed.

18. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

You and me both! Yes, the system is exorbitantly expensive. However, if you have that type of discretionary funds and are a music lover (like all of us) I say go for it!

19. Ed Selley

Ed Selley Well-Known Member

To paraphrase PJ O'Rourke, you could boil that stuff for weeks and a hungry child still isn't going to be able to eat it.

20. espendo

espendo Well-Known Member

@lee newman @HiFi Guy

So, I raised this question of dampening for my speakers. Got some good answers from you guys. Too little space for speaker stands unfortunately (and three VERY active boys).

I bought some damping feet from a hifi store here in Oslo, they're called Argon Damping Feet and are of some kind of 'hard' foam.

First impressions: a bit more assured bass and perhaps also even a little better soundstage. Maybe also less of a "booming sound"? As a cheap tweek, it may just work in my system. At least for now.

Picture:

IMG_0128.JPG

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    lee newman and HiFi Guy like this.