Fiona Apple - Tidal (May 2017 ROTM)

Discussion in 'General' started by mcherry, Apr 20, 2017.

1. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I've never gotten a referral credit... I've only posted my link once and nobody used it. I'm a sad boy.

displayname likes this.
  2. LeeVing

LeeVing Well-Known Member

oh....and I don't want to sound like I'm complaining...or a snob hipster, but an "LP" is a 33 1/3 RPM "Long Playing" record.
    The 45 speed was created a year or 2 later as competition to the LP.

Using "LP" instead of "record" for something cut at 45 is almost as bad as saying vinyls.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  3. The_Stoned_Ape

The_Stoned_Ape Well-Known Member

I've seen this argument made, but given that most people assume a 7'' when they hear 45, what would be the correct and least confusing term for a Long-Playing Record cut at 45rpm?

4. LeeVing

For an album that is spread over 2 records because it's cut at 45.

[​IMG]

Although, I'd use "Records" instead of "Discs"

And I don't think many people buying records today think of 7" when discussing an album cut 45rpm. As the term 7" has taken over the term 45 when talking about singles.

Had this album been pressed in the 90's, given the ~26 minutes a side, it most likely would have been spread over 2 records, but at 33 1/3, could have used the 2xLP.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  5. elmaji

elmaji New Member

What poor bastard decided to use a sl-b200 as the turntable for that ad...lol I'd think you'd want to feature something better than a introductory level technics from the 1980s

6. LeeVing

I thought the same thing...then said to myself "At least it's not a Crosley"

GritNGlitter likes this.
  7. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

This is an interesting way to introduce yourself to the forum.

8. radiorob123

radiorob123 Well-Known Member

The site being down is killing my ability to get some referral credits. Not that I'm expecting many. No matter where I post it, no one eer uses mine and all my friends are too broke/cheap to join the club.

9. DMacanT

DMacanT Well-Known Member

So, I've been flip flopping around keeping or swapping this for a good while now. Was never a fan in the early days, just couldn't see the appeal. I've had my eye on a number of past AOTM, especially Ben W, BBB & PB (which I ended up swapping due to my then aversion to 45's - praise the lord I now see the light). Anyway, I've since pulled the trigger on Soulville and Big Bill and will probably do the same with Panda in the not so distant future.

As of yesterday I was full commited to swapping, however keeping an eye on a bunch of 5/6 yr olds put that idea on hold and I'm now so glad. I've listened too it another three times this morning and it's really starting to bed in and open up to me. I feel a few songs are a wee bit flabby, but who knows these could eventually become firm favourites.

Anyway, I'm now very, very excited by this. I'm expecting this pressing to sound great and draw me in even more. Black vinyl is also the perfect compliment for this choice.

10. LibertyNT

LibertyNT Active Member

For some reason I think EP, though that's probably not exactly right either.

Edit: From Wikipedia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_play#Double_EPs

"A double extended play is the name typically given to vinyl records or compact discs released as a set of two discs, each of which would normally qualify as an EP. The name is thus analogous to double album. As vinyl records, the most common format for the double EP, they consist of a pair of 7" discs recorded at 45 or 33 1⁄3rpm, or two 12" discs recorded at 45 rpm. The format is useful when an album's-worth of material is being pressed by a small plant geared for the production of singles rather than albums, and may have novelty value which can be turned to advantage for publicity purposes. Double EPs are rare, since the amount of material recordable on a double EP could usually be more economically and sensibly recorded on a single vinyl LP."

The_Stoned_Ape and DMacanT like this.
  11. DMacanT

DMacanT Well-Known Member

Agree with this. Growing up I'd always have called these EP's - usually they were 12" singles with a couple of extra songs (or mini albums/stop gap debuts) but could be full length albums as well, though not very common.

12. kvetcha

kvetcha Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is a major bummer. I've got two people actively trying to use my referral code and I think they'll probably just give up.

13. bohnjaggs

bohnjaggs Well-Known Member

Same. Two Facebook friends keep bugging me about trying to sign up for this one.

kvetcha likes this.
  14. bohnjaggs

bohnjaggs Well-Known Member

Looks like its back up

kvetcha likes this.
  15. LibertyNT

LibertyNT Active Member

Those 80s Technics were pretty solid turntables back in the day, I see nothing wrong with using one. I don't believe you need to spend thousands of dollars to get good sound from vinyl. I'm using an SL-Q202 that I just love.

16. Siglet

Siglet Well-Known Member

Save the snobbery for the Hoffman forums.

Woob_woob, gouis, displayname and 5 others like this.
  17. mattonfire

mattonfire Well-Known Member

I agree with this 100%. I have a Technics SL-D3 that wipes the floor with today's $300-$400 offerings. Let's not get too pretentious here to totally disregard the equipment that many music lovers have/can afford. You play records with what you got, and save towards upgrades. You can make that 80s TT sound pretty great with the right cart and system.

18. bettim84

bettim84 Well-Known Member

19. Andy Mack

Andy Mack Active Member

I must say I loved reading the article in how the record came about

I would love to see this about every AOTM I'm honest!

GritNGlitter likes this.
  20. mcherry

mcherry Moderator

She's so good. I love reading her pieces.