Grateful Dead Cornell '77 Box Set

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by Stephen, May 8, 2017.

1. Stephen

Stephen Well-Known Member

The greatest rock concert of all time? Arguably.

I haven't taken the plunge on the box yet, have seen some complaints of dupe records in some boxes.

Anyone have it? From what I can tell on spotify the sound quality seems there. What an amazing show I'm doing everything in my power not to buy it on the way home from work.

TheWhale22, thedon0922 and lee newman like this.
  2. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

I think there were a few people in the preorder thread ( @Enaz Fox et al) that either got it or have it coming.

lee newman and Enaz Fox like this.
  3. Enaz Fox

Enaz Fox Well-Known Member

I don't have it yet as I ordered it from my local. Now the question lies in which box he's even getting in, with the http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/may-1977-get-shown-light-all-music-edition
    also having just come out. He's closed on Mondays so I'm going to call in tomorrow. Betty did the boards and she's been excellent with the CRB releases, so I'm expecting no less here. Not cool to hear about the discs being messed up but Rhino should do right! @MattS should have some insight!

lee newman and MattS like this.
  4. WWN

WWN Well-Known Member

I would love to own it, but my main issue with this (and a lot of the vinyl releases that the Dead does) is that it is so expensive. It is a 5LP set, but $120 seems a bit much.

Eriatarka likes this.
  5. Enaz Fox

Try and watch our deals thread than bud! I'll try and remember to tag you when some dead stuff shows up again. A gang of us got in on the Europe 72' Volume 2 4xLP set for $37 on amazon a month back or so!

6. WWN

WWN Well-Known Member

That would be more like it!!

Thanks!!

lee newman and Enaz Fox like this.
  7. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

Thanks for tagging me fantastic Mr Fox. Still have some listening to do but so far my insight is as followed. I have been lucky that I haven't gotten duplicate records or defective disks from any experience with the dead. And i have over 90 shows on officially released on CD and Vinyl. That being said the Dead.net message boards found on the product page has great references for getting in contact with people in the dead organization, ask for MaryE or Dr. Rhino and i have many friends who have gotten taken care of. The CD set is great, i got the original limited edition, with amazing shows, Buffalo may be my tops, but the packaging is a bit delicate so if you are smart about opening it you should be fine in case a CD falls out, which is the common complaint with this set. As for the vinyl, which im sure is where the main inquiries, it is a well made product, after a good clean it has great sound, a great feel and the packaging is awesome. The price is high, I got at bullmoose when announced for 100 with free shipping. But Veneta 72, one of the other holy grail shows, retails for 150ish for the vinyl. One of the issues people have reported was getting double records, sadly the printing on the vinyls aren't the best so its hard to see the different side numbers and a few people claimed to have gotten doubles and played them and turned out they misread the labels and it was fine. Weird I know but according to some message boards it happened. My arrived good to go and I love it. I am a dead completest, they are far and away my favorite band so it was a no brainer even if it hurt the wallet. As for a quality problem, the daed net page is a great way to get in contact with someone that will help if you have a problem and from everything I heard they get the job done and done right. Hope that answered your questions. If not I am here for any more.

Stephen and Enaz Fox like this.
  8. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

I would argue the Vol. 2 is even better than 1 somehow. Europe 72 got me into the dead when i was 11. Me and my best friend loved I know you rider, he's gone and brown eyed women. They were so tight and vibrant, Vol 2 has some bigger jams and is a great record to have on Vinyl. I have the 72 trunk, all 22 shows on cd, but I love setting up the TT and blasting that Bickershaw Dark Star> Drums> The Other One

Darin Star Boogie, WWN and Enaz Fox like this.
  9. Enaz Fox

Very impressed with your collection man! And I enjoy Volume 2 a bit more than 1 as well, but not by much. That take on Darkstar is the one live cut I can always go to from the Dead and just be blown away.

Darin Star Boogie and lee newman like this.
  10. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

One vinyl I am chasing from them is a RSD release of the Dark Star from May 4th, its 40 minutes of dark star on vinyl, seen copies around 70 bucks and will one day get, but a Dark Star a day keeps the doctor away. I am working on my discogs and have a word document with my whole collection, it wont let me add a word doc but ill have it up on discogs soon hopefully if not. I always enjoy checking out collections and finding common ones and discussing them. I nerd out on the dead pretty hard i guess. My lady makes fun of me for it but she also doesn't complain too badly when shelves are dedicated to housing it all.

Enaz Fox and WWN like this.
  11. WWN

WWN Well-Known Member

I've been eyeing this ever since it came out, too. Never been able to pull the trigger at the high resale price. One day.....

IMG_1645.JPG

Stephen, Enaz Fox and MattS like this.
  12. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

My man

Enaz Fox likes this.
  13. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

By the way sweet avatar man, catching three nights at MSG and hopefully going back to Dicks for the whole run. Can't wait!

Stephen likes this.
  14. ryno11111

ryno11111 New Member

I just got mine in the mail today. Unfortunately, I am a victim of the duplicate record problem. I received duplicates of Record #2 (Sides 3 & 4), and am missing Record #3 (Sides 5 & 6). My order was placed through musicdirect.com because they were running a 20% off sale at the time and I got a decent discount. I've read that a lot of people are experiencing similar problems from the Dead.net message boards. I've put in a message with customer service to see what my options are, if any. I now wish i had ordered directly from Dead.net because I hear their customer service is top notch, much like VMP.

15. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

Try reaching out to dead.net, I have friends who have reached out after getting defective disks on ebay and Dr Rhino still helps.

16. ryno11111

ryno11111 New Member

Hmmm.... interesting. I will do that. Thanks MattS. Will post back here if I anything to update.

MattS likes this.
  17. Stephen

Yessir! I'm only hitting the last two nights of the bakers dozen but cannot wait.

MattS and WWN like this.
  18. WWN

WWN Well-Known Member

Which MSGs are you going to? I'll be at 7/28 and 7/29. Very excited! interested to see how the set lists shake out for a 13-night run.

19. Stephen

I guess when you think about it -- 5 records at $20 a record plus the packaging and the booklet its not too badly priced. I'm really just trying to convince that not buying it is a bad idea.

MattS and WWN like this.
  20. jackstraw22

jackstraw22 Active Member

For anybody who has both the CDs and the vinyl, do you feel the vinyl is an improvement over the CDs? Wife and I just had a "money discussion" recently, so finances tight. But this is one of my favorite shows, and as Cornell grad makes it extra special. Just want to make sure if I pull the trigger it's for an increase in audio quality vs. a great looking package.