Help Us Pick the Next VMP Track (2019)

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by cjschaefer, Jul 11, 2018.

What Should the Next VMP Track Be? PICK 2

1. Metal

124 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. Country

127 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Rising

85 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. Crate Digger

256 vote(s)
    55.9%
  5. Electronic

161 vote(s)
    35.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chrb98

chrb98 Well-Known Member

Awfully hot take to call Deafheaven an American version of Envy, considering I'm pretty sure Deafheaven's entire mission statement from the beginning has been "Be an American version of Alcest"

Yeah I recognize that there is (probably) a slight difference between what Classics offers and what Crate Diggers would offer. But the difference is miniscule, if non-existent, when you compare it to the differences between Classics and, say, metal, or electronic, or even country. Don't get me wrong, the vague description we've been given of Crate Diggers sounds dope, but there's definitely too much overlap between it and Classics for it to make sense being only the third side-sub introduced. I mean, half of the examples @cjschaefer gave for it literally are Classics records ;) it'd be cool later on down the line, but IMO, the next Tracks being Crate Diggers would be like the next track being Southern hip-hop (although if y'all wanna add that sometime down the line I'd cop EVERYTHING)

2. MotorCityWax

MotorCityWax Well-Known Member

Country and Crate Digger, with Metal being a 3rd choice. Stoked for more options!

Nathaniel D. and lee newman like this.
  3. Wicked Dreamer

Wicked Dreamer Well-Known Member

Literally me.

4. duke86fan

duke86fan Well-Known Member

you all are cool for choosing to dance

[​IMG]

5. bdm105

bdm105 Well-Known Member

Free napster sticker with the first Metal me, please package?

6. gwerbnm

gwerbnm Well-Known Member

That's what I did too...was a tough decision.

mcherry, lee newman and Phaneronic like this.
  7. NathanRicaud

NathanRicaud Well-Known Member

Isn't there still a lot of Metal being released?

I definitely worded that phrase wrong. Like I definitely understand that Metal is not visible in today's music as the genre is not as accessible to the ear. But I'd think there are definitely plenty of Metal records coming out each year. So I'm thinking VMP can do exclusives of those new metal albums. But the problem is VMP rarely release any type of metal exclusives...

But omg, I'm realising how biased I sound. I think I just said that because I really want Crate Diggers to be chosen instead of Metal lol (and instead of Country and Electronic). I know I will never purchase a metal album because it's not my genre, and I'd purchase all the Crate Diggers ROTM.

8. NathanRicaud

NathanRicaud Well-Known Member

But that's like saying if Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory got Hip-Hop ROTM, it might as well of been a Classics ROTM because of all the jazz sampling. Classics is mainly soul and jazz. I don't see how reggae/funk/disco/world music is like jazz/soul. The only main difference is that both both tracks peaked in the same era (60's and 70's) and that both tracks are mainly played by black musicians. But they are different styles, I don't see Jazz being a sub-genre of world music/funk, the way you see southern hip-hop being a branch of golden era hip hop for instance.

I do understand that you want more extreme differences with the ROTM. Like Country and Metal and Electronic share much less similarities with Classics than would Crate Diggers but I still see Crate Diggers as being very different to Classics. Like Ayalew Mesfin & Wells Fargo are very different to Archie Shepp & Alice Coltrane.

But I honestly do understand where you're coming from. It would add to the diversity having Metal or Country as an additional track.

9. Kinetic

Kinetic Well-Known Member

Rising should be it's own stream already. Get on with it!

10. Eriatarka

Eriatarka Well-Known Member

Metal needs to happen. Especially since all of the others are more likely to be released in the Essentials track.

11. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Well-Known Member

Mmm. That's sort of fair, actually. A lot of metal is a little too heave to be dropped in Essentials, this operation's bread and butter…

chrb98, Nathaniel D., Vinyl47 and 3 others like this.
  12. eatdogs

eatdogs Well-Known Member

Duster reunited and signed with Numero to release their old albums. Listen to their debut album called Stratosphere for some nice Lo-Fi Space Rock

13. Roulin

Roulin Well-Known Member

IMO Electronic and Crate Digger, because of how much variety you can find there.

Phaneronic and lee newman like this.
  14. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I feel like crate digger could be across decades and genres, so I picked it. But I'd be okay with Electronic too. Or Rising if they were more LPs not EPs.

15. captainfog

captainfog A Prince Among Men And Moderators

I went for crate digger, but I hope they don't pick that because then I'd have to subscribe and... money.

16. auttiegrace

auttiegrace Well-Known Member

How is metal not #1... wtf guys?

17. Goatfish

Goatfish Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m very disappointed already in the voting trends.

Crate Digger we have had several picks between Essentials and Classics already, and I'd imagine would continue to see these types of picks in those subs.

Rising already gets great treatment and exposure via exclusives, IMHO.

Electronic - see above. There have been several electronic picks in the Essentials sub.

Country and Metal, on the other hand, have been sorely lacking in attention in this club. They would have the potential to open up selection and curation and possibly attract new subscribers (if done right). I'm not even a huge country fan, but it's a genre I wouldn't mind be curated for me so I can expand my horizons.

Long story short, I was hoping more people here would be interested in new things as opposed to more of the same. Furthermore, I fear with Electronic and Crate Digger side subs, that will dilute the Essentials to even more of an indie/indie adjacent sub and I'll probably be on my merry way to Classics only.

[​IMG]

bfly, tml512, DeadwaxDude and 11 others like this.
  18. captainfog

captainfog A Prince Among Men And Moderators

I hate metal and I hate country, why would I vote for things I dislike? :)

19. Eriatarka

Eriatarka Well-Known Member

Hating an entire genre, I can't take this seriously or condone this.

20. Goatfish

Goatfish Well-Known Member

You hate 2 entire genres? I guess my answer would be so that you could get curated some taste

[​IMG]