Is it really worth it to join?

Discussion in 'Support and Q&A' started by Miguel Tenorio, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Miguel Tenorio

Miguel Tenorio New Member

Maybe this has been answered before but I'm new to the thread.

I am considering joining and have been doing some research and I it has left me wondering if this is really worth it.

These are my pointers:

1. The library is really really poor- The library of records on my research is so limited, I think the company started in 2013, is there are a reason why its not bigger?

2. Sure, the limited edition EPS look great but for the price I am left wondering if its worth it.

For a 12 month subscription you are really paying the average price of a vinyl, to me this seems to be paying for 12 records in advance only, Other than having a vinyl that doesn't exist anywhere else, which to me is not necessarily a convincing factor since our music tastes will typically not match 100% to every record of the month.

3. I would like to see that for my membership price we should have some type of discounted records or "member pricing" I did not dig a lot into this but to me this does not seem to be the case. I am not saying all records specially new releases need to be discounted, but paying almost $300 for just 12 records and not having special member pricing seems to be a deal breaker for me.

If someone can give me opinions on their experience I'd appreciate it, maybe as a member you see something I don't.

2. captainfog

captainfog A Prince Among Men And Moderators

Yes!

1) I'm not sure what you mean, but it's one record a month, so from a ROTM perspective it's limited to 12 a year. Plus of course there are loads of limited edition store exclusives but once they are sold out they no longer appear on the website and so you won't see those.

2) They have a swap option! So if you don't like a monthly selection then you can swap for something in the store or for a previous ROTM.

3) You get access to side subscriptions (hip hop and Classics) which are an extra exclusive pressing added to your box which is only available to members. You get early access to stuff in the store and lastly if you live in America you get free shipping on store items which isn't available to non members.

From my perspective I have only experienced great customer service. I can't recommend this club enough.

3. swamp

swamp Well-Known Member

Your questions are thoughtful but they suggest that the main allure/perks of Vinyl Me Please are just not very attractive to you, which is OK. Vinyl Me Please is not a discount/low price shop, unfortunately. They are more of a curation service that aims for quality and unique limited edition pressings instead of quantity of inventory and lowest prices. There's a place for both kinds of vinyl shops/services, so it's just preference.

KBURNS, wistfulsigh, Eric and 9 others like this.
  4. Miguel Tenorio

I'll clarify- A year membership is $300- you get 12 exclusive records which is great, in reality you are just paying for 12 records in advance and getting them once a month.

Is that the only benefit? - Getting 12 exclusive records for $300? My assumption and I might be wrong obviously is that the average member maybe keeps half of those records and swaps them for something else.

What other benefits does a member get? I don't see any others really, what about special member pricing?

If the only benefit is getting exclusive records, at least to me leaves me wondering if its worth it.

Not trying to hate here but I can other type of limited edition records granted not from VMP elsewhere.

I would love to have a membership where I pay less for the average price of the record elsewhere, granted not on everything but to a bigger selection.

What about the library, It really does not seem big at all.

On a good note, the limited edition I have seen look awesome for sure, but as you were mentioning not everything will fall to everyone's taste.

The Swap option is good as well.

5. Miguel Tenorio

Ok, that makes more sense now. it is more of a niche service of rare/limited prints.

What has your experience been so far?

Why is the Gorillaz record not available anymore? is it gone forever?

6. captainfog

I don't know what you mean about the library? Can you explain?

The main benefits of being a member (apart from having 12 albums curated and pressed for you, most people don't swap much at all. I've done it once this year) is access to the side subs which are only available to members and free shipping from the store.

7. captainfog

It sold out, I think they might press some more in the future. The store exclusives have strict limited numbers and once they are gone they are gone. Some months we have up to 7 titles available for purchase.

displayname likes this.
  8. Miguel Tenorio

by library I meant to say the VMP Store. Sorry if that was confusing, but thank you it is making more sense now.

What are side subs? I have noticed that I can purchase records without being a member vs once that are only member exclusive.

9. AndySlash

AndySlash an anthropomorphic phallus with a penis on its bum

VMP is not a Columbia House or BMG type service, which it appears you might be thinking it is. Their selection is strictly limited to their choices of 'album of the month', whatever records they decide to put in the member store each month, and whatever is leftover stock of the first two. As swamp said, this is a curation service, not a strictly retail service. If that's not for you, that's cool.

displayname likes this.
  10. captainfog

Ah I see, well the reason the store isn't full of titles is that they present records for sale each month and then when they are sold they generally don't replace and offer something else. As well as standard releases they also do exclusive pressings of things in the store. We've maybe had a hundred of those? Who knows. They don't archive them on the website, so I'm not sure. They are strickly limited to anything from 300 to maybe 2000. If you check discogs though you'll see a huge list.

11. captainfog

Oh and they have two side subs - Classics (soul, jazz and blues from 60's 70s) and Hip Hop. For an extra 23 bucks a month you add a side sub. There are limited places on these subscriptions. Oh and they are new pressings done by VMP often remastered too.

lee newman likes this.
  12. Miguel Tenorio

Andy, correct that was my assumption but it is more clear now, what has your experience been so far?

lee newman likes this.
  13. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

There are a few things...

Yes it is a limited edition variant for most records. Most times we get a new mastering.

You also get a members window and free shipping in the online store.

There are Drink recipes and art prints as.

14. bigcat_smauls

bigcat_smauls Active Member

The main benefit for me is all of the new music that I've found that I would never have listened to previously.

The Record of The Month(ROTM) is just a small slice of what Vinyl Me Please have to offer. I find myself adding 2-5 extra records a month onto my order. Every month they add new records to the store. Sometimes they're special colored pressing by VMP or they're Reissues or New Releases. But I've found a bunch that I love just off of recommendations and music that just looks interesting.

I don't really mind paying more for a product that they put time and effort into. They usually try to make the ROTM something special. The packaging is always top notch and so is the sound quality. The one I've been most impressed with was The Books - The Lemon of Pink w/ diecut album cover(image below).

2016_10_IMG_3703.original.jpg

KBURNS, bshikari and AnthonyI like this.
  15. AndySlash

AndySlash an anthropomorphic phallus with a penis on its bum

i've been in the club continuously since 2014, so i think it's safe to say i've been satisifed with my experience. after doing a month-to-month plan for the entirety of that time, i even put down the high upfront cost of the yearly membership earlier this year when we got the heads up that prices were going up. i am a part of the classics side-sub, which i can't recommend enough and that i've gone on record as saying includes the types of records i envisioned receiving when i first signed up in 2014. though i've never used the swap option (nor think i would), it is a nifty benefit for those months where you know you don't want the main sub record. the store keeps getting bigger, with more titles and exclusives being offered. so there's plenty of benefit to being a member, imo, with the only caveat being that you have to be ok with getting a record each month that you pay for but might not like - that's the risk of a curation service.

AnthonyI likes this.
  16. Miguel Tenorio

Andy, thank you, overall you have clarified my questions and I see the vision and purpose of VMP

Barry Lird, captainfog and kvetcha like this.
  17. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

Also keep in mind the VMP album of the month is usually more than just a different color variant of an album. Sometimes it is (especially on new releases) but a lot of times they get old albums re-mastered, or release albums that are out of print. They usually got all-out for the release. Sometimes there's some really good ones (Like Gorillaz and Fiona) that might get our expectations up pretty high.

displayname and kvetcha like this.
  18. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Or ones that didn't exist, like Wells Fargo!

19. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat, though have been a member since 2015.

I have never utilized the swap option as, to me, the records I have received have all either been to my taste or expanded my musical horizons.

The VMP member store, which is separate from the Albums of the Month, generally have 5-9 exclusive pressings of other albums that are limited in quantity. On top of that, VMP curates both new releases and re-issues which are also available in the store.

I am also a member of both of the side subscriptions, VMP Classics and VMP Hip Hop, and have had nothing but positive experiences thus far.

VMP also puts together monthly vinyl listening parties called The Spins in various cities throughout the US. This helps to cement the musical community that VMP is striving for. VMP also allows some members to host private events at their homes which mimics the Spins. Again, more community involvement and a greater chance of being exposed to new music.

I noted that you refer to the VMP library frequently. Check out this discogs page to see all of the exclusive VMP titles that have been released to date. It will include both the albums of the month and the exclusive VMP member store pressings.
    https://www.discogs.com/label/678745-Vinyl-Me-Please

Enjoy!

20. Miguel Tenorio

I appreciate that VMP sends prints every month, although in my case I am a little weird.

I am very peculiar on my Vinyl library, I tend only to buy albums I enjoy fully and not partially, so having a SWAP option is really nice. I read that you cannot return the monthly records once they're send out. I wouldn't take a risk in getting something I don't fully enjoy. I would prefer to give it a listen on TIDAL and decide whether is worth it afterwards.