June 2018 Vinyl Challenge - Day 23 Self-Portrait

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by LeftOfSound, May 31, 2018.

1. LeftOfSound

LeftOfSound Well-Known Member

I am honored and thrilled to be hosting this month's vinyl challenge!

The rules are simple:
    • Have fun!
    • Be creative -- I tried to keep most days pretty broad to allow for open interpretations (though, one challenge does have specific rules -- don't hate me, it's gonna be fun)
    • Don't play an album that's already been chosen by someone else for that day's theme (Ideally, let's try to not do repeats across the entire month, but I'm not going to be a stickler)
    • Don't play the same album for more than one challenge
    • Be cool and don't post for a challenge before the day of (timezone differences notwithstanding)
    • Feel free to join us at any point during the month if you're late to the party, or to come back if life keeps you away for a few days (but you'll need to catch-up on the days you missed to be eligible for any potential prize...)
    It looks like in the past new challenges were posted on a daily basis, and while there's an element of that I like, I don't think I can be relied on to keep this up to date in a timely fashion, so here's your list of challenges should you choose to accept the mission:

1. Taste the Rainbow
      (I know we just had a month with some good color-based challenges, but I would be remiss to not in some way acknowledge that June is LGBTQ Pride Month and don't want my queer membership card revoked (it's already a very tenuous relationship)! This seemed like the most appropriately broad form of recognition)
    2. Soundtrack Saturday
    3. Slow Burn
      (Wasn't a fan at first, but now you're lovin' it)
    4. Rock & Roll
    5. The Funny Thing Is...
    6. "The Greatest Generation"
      (Remembering D-Day)
    7. One-Hit Wonder
    8. Memorable Live Performance
    9. It's the Queen's (pseudo) Birthday...I'll Drink To That!
      (Sidenote, why does the Queen celebrate like 8 different birthdays and none of them are the day she was actually born? Our friends across the pond are strange)
    10. Sunday Morning Vibes
    11. Less Than 12 (inches)
    12. Kids These Days
    13. Weirded Out
      (as requested by the wife of @lee newman ;))
    14. Stars & Stripes
      (The U.S. is celebrating Flag Day today, interpret this how you will)
    15. All About That Bass
    16. Camping
    17. (For the) Pops!
    18. Underrated
    19. Celebrate Freedom
      (Because Juneteenth is worth celebrating!)
    20. "Sticky Pudding" Content
    21. Summer Fling
    22. Ice Cold
      (It's winter now for our friends south of the equator and I'm just not enjoying being sweaty all the time anymore)
    23. Self-Portrait
      (Inspired by the discussion in last month's challenge...If you were one of your records, which one would it be?)
    24. Connect the Dots
      The Rules:
      Go to your last post (that contains a record) in this thread. Find the record posted by another person most immediately before your last post. Your challenge is to post something somehow related to that other person's pick (maybe that's genre, color, theme, year, story, etc....make it your own!)
    25. I'll Cover You
      (Covers are a hot commodity in the music world. But maybe you want to go another direction, and that's cool too)
    26. Bluesday Tuesday
    27. Thirty-Two
      (In keeping with the tradition last month -- today is my 32nd bday)
    28. Your 'Black Sheep'
      (That outlier in your collection, or maybe would just surprise others that you have it)
    29. On The Water
    30. Favorite of the Year (So Far)
      (We're halfway through the year! What's at the top of your Best Of lists so far?)

Looking forward to seeing what this month brings and what you all are listening to!

EDITed to Add: There's a contingent of folks who have taken it upon themselves to add an additional layer to the challenge by focusing on artists who are women and/or members of other disenfranchised populations and that warms the cockles of my cold dead heart (as inspired by @girlnevergoesout who exclusively featured female artists/vocalists in May's challenge thread).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018 at 10:51 PM
    tvham, Popbus, Nathaniel D. and 10 others like this.
  2. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

Damn it. Now I have to participate

3. LeftOfSound

You did it to yourself! Or rather...maybe your wife did...

JoeMac7, Phaneronic and lee newman like this.
  4. dconley

dconley Well-Known Member

I said I was out but that was a total lie.

LeftOfSound and Phaneronic like this.
  5. lee newman

Do the rules on day 24 have to do with this thread or all threads. If it is all threads: Is it the post with a record on the board that was posted previous to yours with a record (hell I typed that and I’m not sure I understand) or the thread you posted on (I.e. I’m gonna bet finding a record posted in the whiskey thread is not going to be the easiest thing in the world)... does the clock start at midnight or when I log in. I think this one is going to melt my brain.

Phaneronic likes this.
  6. craigdino

craigdino Well-Known Member

Gonna try to stick with this one! Only managed a few days in the May before my grueling work/Dad schedule shot that to shit.

7. dconley

I also just bought an album on discogs for day 7. Let's hope it arrives in time.

8. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Well-Known Member

Ha! I listen to a podcast called No Such Thing as a Fish* and in one of the episodes the talked about this a little bit. King George II was born in October, but that was dreary so he decided they would hold a second celebration during nicer weather, which is to say summer. Because Monarchy they kept up the tradition regardless of the monarch's actual birthday, and seeing as it correlated not with any given event the nations in the Commonwealth were allowed to choose ones that suited them. Hence the multiple birthdays.

*Started by researchers for QI, a panel show {think talk show and game show mixed up together at once - they're a or b-list celebrities competing but you watch to see them make jokes at each other} where all the questions are stuff that would seem to have obvious answers but don't. The twist is you gain points for a right answer, and lose a lot of points for an obvious but wrong answer - except, the correct answer is usually so obscure you're more likely to get points for a wrong but interesting answer. They have a lot of clips on YouTube, I highly recommend it. The podcast was started because the researchers often got really interesting facts that ended up not being in the show, and they wanted to talk about them. The title comes from the fact that anything which could be considered a common ancestor of everything we would think of as a fish would also be one for all animal life. Thus, the word - despite having a common definition - is taxonomically meaningless. They've also a vinyl-only episode with a cameo from the lead singer for Slipknot. :confused:

Nathaniel D., dconley and LeftOfSound like this.
  9. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

Bring it on!! (Well apart from Soundtrack Saturday, I only have one and it’s a popular one so if it goes early I’m f*cked!!)

Phaneronic likes this.
  10. LeftOfSound

Just this thread! So, for instance, the challenge is today and you posted something in yesterday's challenge:

Yesterday: Person A posted a record
    Yesterday: Maybe some random non-record-posting messages
    Yesterday: You posted a record
    Yesterday: Person B posted a record
    Today: You post something that somehow relates to what Person A posted yesterday
    Today: Person B posts something related to what you posted yesterday

So, time doesn't really matter. Essentially the day before that day's challenge, you'll learn what record you need to relate to.

Did that make it anymore confusing? In my mind it's not that confusing but I don't word good and gesture a lot when explaining things and none of that is helpful in this situation.

11. LeftOfSound

Pro tip: It doesn't have to necessarily be a "soundtrack album", it could be an album that maybe just has a song that has been used in a soundtrack. Oooor maybe it's an album that is the soundtrack to your ideal Saturday...

There's always a way to bend the rules, as long as you can justify it ;)

12. lee newman

Or the soundtrack to the movie you would make.

13. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

You two have done this before haha!! You also put me to shame, as a barrister it should be me finding the tenuous loopholes haha!!

14. Joyless Division

Joyless Division Well-Known Member

Looks great- can’t wait!

15. Yer Ol' Uncle D

Yer Ol' Uncle D Well-Known Member

Day 1 - Taste the Rainbow

I'll kick this thing off.

Tom Robinson Band - Power In The Darkness

Most folks won't know the name Tom Robinson but he was proudly displaying his sexuality in the late 70's British punk/pub rock scene in his music and his lyrics via Tom Robinson Band. If you're unfamiliar and you dig that era they're certainly worth a backtrack. Good stuff.

Been dragging this one around for decades.

BF313488-71B9-4F81-AFFE-1CF6E1A75C5E.jpeg

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  16. Eriatarka

Eriatarka Well-Known Member

Day 1: Taste the Rainbow
    Bosnian Rainbows - Bosnian Rainbows
    R-4689061-1372485210-3486.jpeg.jpg R-4689061-1372489550-6676.jpeg.jpg

17. Yvonne

Yvonne Active Member

Culture Club - Karma Chameleon

My first single! I got this one from my grandparents on my 4th birthday. I really don't know why they gave this single. I do remember that I never believed that the singer was a man:)...
    I just listen to the B side. Actually a pretty nice song!

IMG_6360.JPG

18. dconley

GLOSS - Girls Living Outside Society's Shit

[​IMG]

Good ol' trans hardcore.

19. lee newman

Day 1

Skittles?

This is one of the best albums of the year. Somewhere, there’s a world where being a gay female country musician won’t be an obstacle and this album is the hit it deserves to be.

579B45DA-D439-4C45-8641-52AD497FBB98.jpeg
    Lionheart - H.C. McEntire

20. Wicked Dreamer

Wicked Dreamer Well-Known Member

Day 1: Taste the Rainbow!

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Sex & Food

8F5647B9-02D4-4FF1-BE7E-FFE452DD8885.jpeg

The VMP edition with the rainbow foil cover. I love how especially noticeable it is in this photo!