Just scored some of that old sweet, sweet, silver stuff! $0

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Derekjeffery, Apr 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Derekjeffery

Derekjeffery Well-Known Member

828F96A9-56F5-4123-92B2-CAF09D80C5D8.jpeg 6EAD9101-E845-464F-8569-35D81D44B36D.jpeg A lady advertised on Facebook she was getting rid of stuff. Caught a glimpse of an old amp and went to look. She wanted no payment for it. This is some good late 70’s JVC stuff and some decent looking KLH speakers. Can’t wait to dust it off and hook it up!!

2. Wokkerk

Wokkerk Well-Known Member

Im usually not a jealous person....but free old stereo equipment that works makes me a jealous jealous man.

3. Derekjeffery

9587F1D5-35DC-4E3E-B53E-DA57219F9A37.jpeg
    I don’t usually have this kind of luck. :) I’m not greedy but I wish she had the turn table that came with... alas... she only had the manual!

Nathaniel D., dabble, JonnyH and 2 others like this.
  4. Wokkerk

Manuals and ALL???? dang!

Nathaniel D. and lee newman like this.
  5. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

It’s weird that she had the tt manual but not the tt. I really want to know the whole story now. Why did she want to get rid of them? Did she look like Beverly D’Angelo? Do you look like John Cusack?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    NateOEB, mcherry, AnthonyI and 7 others like this.
  6. Derekjeffery

I sent her a message and asked if the tt was hanging around the house by chance and she said no it had been destroyed by the kids long ago.

This lady posted on a local Facebook buy/sell/trade site that she had a bunch of household stuff that she was giving away to people that needed it. In one of the pics all I could see was a big silver receiver and although I didn’t know exactly what it was I knew it was an older unit. I sent a message and asked how much for the receiver? She said free, I said... “I’m on my way” went to look and was shocked at what it was. She said you must know your old stereo equipment, and I said well I listen to records and I like music that’s about all I know. I offered again to pay her some money and she refused. She gave me the reciever, tuner, manuals and the speakers.

Because of my job in real estate I’m always curious when people are cleaning out their garage and selling or giving stuff away. I asked her if she was putting her house on the market and she explained they were moving to a town up in the mountains and until they build had nowhere to keep anything. They were just trying to get rid of as much stuff that they weren’t using and or collecting dust as possible.

Unfortunately they already had an agent listing their house, otherwise it would have been a REALLY good day.

And so @lee newman now you know “the rest of the story”

7. SKOT_FREE

SKOT_FREE Well-Known Member

Great great find my friend and it looks immaculate too.

lee newman and Derekjeffery like this.
  8. Derekjeffery

2FF7F27D-23B4-4758-9764-BD3263F786E2.jpeg 2D3E4539-CB22-4F8A-AE85-47EA128C9167.jpeg Well I got her all cleaned up and put into service! I know it’s not as chic as Sansui Green or Marantz Blue but I’ll tell you right now this 1976 JVC Amp is as full and rich and powerful as I’ve heard in a long time. Very happy!

I cleaned it inside and out, replaced the original lights, added LED lights and it was ready to go!

9. Slimwhit

Slimwhit Well-Known Member

Looks amazing! Great find!

Derekjeffery likes this.
  10. Wokkerk

Great looking setup! And free! Is there any way that you can get your speakers off the same surface as the turntable? That room looks pretty cramped just thought I would ask....

Derekjeffery likes this.
  11. Derekjeffery

You’re observations are on point. It’s a pretty small fourth bedroom in my basement that I use as my music/home office room. It is VERY cramped. I can mount those speakers. They are a pretty small excellent sounding bookshelf speaker and everything works for now. Someday I’ll have the energy to re-arrange things!

12. Wokkerk

I totally feel you there. At one point we were living in a small apartment downtown and we had to have our speakers on top of a metal shelf that also had the turntable on it. I totally understand that it doesnt always work the way we want and Im sure it still sounds great!

Good choice on spinning some SP too! I have that same album that I got lucky to snag for a good price when I was at Amoeba in SF on vacation a few years back. I also see you have Melon Collie on the shelf down there....that is one of my white whales that I have not been able to find a reasonably priced copy of....

lee newman and Derekjeffery like this.
  13. Derekjeffery

Thanks man!! Yeah I can’t say that the Melon Collie was a good price but it is an awesome package track by track notes from Billy on every song with remembrances from the recording or writing process or just thoughts in general about each particular track and a nice essay. It was definitely worth the price to me. Also seeing him, Jimmy Chamberlin and James Iha in Seattle in August. Completely stoked!!

lee newman and Chucktshoes like this.
  14. Wokkerk

Ugh. I almost bought tickets to the Portland show but could not bring myself to do it. I dont really know why....but I do need to get myself a good copy of Melon Collie!

Derekjeffery likes this.
  15. Unlacqua

Unlacqua Active Member

Free old stereo equipment that still looks brand new is even better.

Derekjeffery likes this.
  16. DankDeadZombie

DankDeadZombie New Member

Nice score! Looks great!

Derekjeffery likes this.