Discussion in 'Canada' started by mbrooks1999, May 6, 2017.

1. MusicIsBAE

MusicIsBAE Member

More Calgarians here!

Smansmith and BattleFlag like this.
  2. BattleFlag

BattleFlag Well-Known Member

Excellent! Good to have more of us around here.

MusicIsBAE and Smansmith like this.
  3. DeadwaxDude

DeadwaxDude Well-Known Member

Anyone in Toronto that wants 4 free tickets to Mogwai can shoot me a DM. all really nice centre row, front of balcony. Friends and I can't make it :(

AnthonyI likes this.
  4. BjorgenFjorgen

BjorgenFjorgen Well-Known Member

Damn, I'm seeing Andrew Savage tonight otherwise I'd be all over this. Hope the tickets make it to a good home.

AnthonyI likes this.
  5. DeadwaxDude

No worries! I think I may have found a home for them, thanks for the reply :D It'd be great to get a group together to go diggin' In the City :)

BjorgenFjorgen likes this.
  6. BjorgenFjorgen

BjorgenFjorgen Well-Known Member

I'd be down for that! Probably not this month with the holidays and everything going on, but when the winter hits for good and we're not all occupied with family gatherings, that could be a lot of fun.

7. DeadwaxDude

Yeah! Maybe try to work something out for January :D

8. Mac Partington

Mac Partington New Member

Vancouver Here! Cheers

TCell and BattleFlag like this.
  9. BattleFlag

Cheers! Good to have you around. I'm from BC originally, and I was just in Vancouver in early December to see The National!

Mac Partington likes this.
  10. Mac Partington

Thanks @BattleFlag ! The biggest reason for me to join this forum is to learn about other's music tastes, and broaden mine.. I'll check out The National (from Cincinnati?)

Just noticed you're in Calgary? I travel to Calgary for work every month! Slowly learning the landscape :)..

BattleFlag likes this.
  11. TCell

TCell Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums. I grew up in Vancouver before moving up north. Zulu, Red Cat and Highlife still the main independent record shops?

Mac Partington and BattleFlag like this.
  12. Mac Partington

I'm very new to the scene vinyl wise, however Zulu is not far away from me. I really like Beat Street on Hastings tho. I haven't checked out Red Cat or Highlife however now that I know they exist I'll check em out

TCell and BattleFlag like this.
  13. BattleFlag

I went to Beat Street when I was there. It's a great spot for the beat-oriented music. I found a good condition copy of the self-titled Rotary Connection album. I visited Zulu a couple years ago, and also thoroughly enjoyed it. I want to go back when I have a bit more time.

@Mac Partington That's cool that you frequent Calgary as well. It's grown on me since I moved here, and is actually a pretty decent city as far as record shopping goes. Don't know if you get time for that sort of thing, but places like Sloth Record, Recordland, Lukes Drug Mart, and Melodiya Records are all pretty solid.

TCell and Mac Partington like this.
  14. Mac Partington

Wow, thanks for the store recs! Yes, I can make time for music, definitely, hehe. There's also a place called Sikoras right across the street which specializes in Classical for anyone interested..

15. neuorder

neuorder Active Member

Vancouver here. Been here since 2011 so I have a lot of vinyl hunting experience.

Zulu: Good selection; overpriced. Good for collectable records if you're into that kind of thing. I'm in Kitsilano so I frequent Zulu quite a bit.

Red Cat: Good selection; decent prices. They have a punchcard system in which you get a punch for every record purchased. 10 punches and you get $11 off your next purchase. There's a second location on East Hastings as well.

Neptoon: My favourite for new records. Good selection; best prices. They're always $5-$10 cheaper than Red Cat. Unpretentious staff too.

Audiopile: Probably my favourite shop all around. New releases are usually a few bucks more expensive than Red Cat and Neptoon but cheaper than Zulu. Great selection though and they have a great punk and electronic section. They also have an audiophile selection which specializes in (you guessed it) audiophile releases (Mofi, Acousticsounds). However, this place is a treasure trove for "used new records." For example, I found a used copy of Beach House Teen Dreams for about $10 here and an original UK pressing of Blur - Think Tank for $20. My friend found a used Weezer - Pinkerton 4LP box SIGNED for $40! Seriously. They have a great punchcard system where too you get a punch for every $10 spent with $10 off your 11th purchase (unlike Red Cat where you get a punch for every record bought). A punch card here can get filled up quickly.

Vinyl Records: on Hastings close to Beat Street. Best selection in the city; worst prices in the city. Significantly more expensive than anywhere else. A 30 dollar record will be priced at 55. It's my one of my friend's favourite record shop though based on selection alone so go figure.

There are a couple others which I have failed to mention because this post is longer than anticipated but these are the main ones.

Happy hunting!

16. Mac Partington

Wow, Neuorder thanks for the info on the nearby shops! Who knows, we'll probably bump into eachother

17. BattleFlag

Great rundown!

It must have been Vinyl Records that I visited on Hastings in December (white shelves on the walls in the entrance, right?). It definitely fit that description: amazing, deep selection......and terrifyingly high prices. I visited Zulu a few years ago, knowing its reputation, and I was kinda disappointed. I porbably needed to spend more browsing time there,though.

18. Melancholy_Melody

Melancholy_Melody New Member

Ottawa

BattleFlag likes this.
  19. InTheHarbour

InTheHarbour New Member

Midland Ontario area

BattleFlag and Juiceless like this.
  20. OhCalebBeck

OhCalebBeck New Member

Halifax NS

Juiceless likes this.