Looking for equipment in St Paul, MN - I'm a total newb to this

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jmkeuning, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jmkeuning

jmkeuning New Member

Get to the punch line: I am in St Paul, MN and want to start listening to records. I am starting from zero. Can you help me find some stuff on Craigslist? I figure my budget is about $1000 to get started, but that within the year I might double or triple that.

Less useful information about why I am here:

I've always been enamored of vinyl; the sound and the tangibility of the thing. I've also always really enjoyed great-sounding equipment. But I've never pursued those two interests in my life. I am ready to do that.

I was reading some comments by a guy who died recently. He knew he was dying, and he wrote a letter to be read after his death. One of the things that stood out to me was "buy the best speakers you can afford." That has been gnawing at me.

Another change in my life has me wanting to listen to music and spend some time and money making that happen. I mention at the top that I am interested in used equipment. I live in a very old house, and those old consoles would look really cool, but I am not opposed to new equipment.

AnthonyI likes this.
  2. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

Welcome! There's actually some really decent stuff on CL in your area.

I love these speakers- I sold them back in the day. Make sure you get a demo that both the woofer and tweeter work. ADS made great speakers but are out of business. $350

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/d/ads-810-speakers/6388628862.html

This is a seperate preamp and power amp. 60 watts per channel. Way better than any new amp for $245.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/d/adcom-quality-535-pwr/6399991841.html

That leaves enough money for a new UTurn Orbit Custom with acrylic platter, Grado cartridge and cue lever. $349

I normally shy away from vintage for new folks, but I know this gear well- I sold Adcom too- and it's reliable and sounds great and will make a super nice system.

Make sure to get a demo on everything to prove it all works. These are very good prices. If you need help hooking it up, I can walk you through it by phone.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    BHD, mcherry, AnthonyI and 1 other person like this.
  3. jmkeuning

jmkeuning New Member

Thank you! I will try to check out and buy that amp set this weekend. I’m sure nervous about speakers though for some reason that I can’t explain.

How does a person go about testing this equipment before I buy it? I can imagine that once I own an amp I can bring it with me, along with my iPhone and some aux cables, to test speakers, but how do I test the amp(s)? Is it just a matter of having the guy turn up the volume and move through the various settings?

4. HiFi Guy

Pretty much. Have him connect it to speakers.

5. MikeyPD

MikeyPD Active Member

I have found that the folks on this board are spot-on about this stuff! But if you ever want to speak to someone in person... Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor in St Louis Park, MN is full of people that know this stuff inside and out. I live in Uptown Minneapolis. So we are sort of neighbors. Welcome to the fold.

this_unfolds likes this.
  6. HiFi Guy

And don't be afraid of the speakers. They are really nice and far better than anything new for the money.

Should you be more comfortable with new speakers, check out the Elac B6.

MikeyPD, AnthonyI and lee newman like this.
  7. jmkeuning

jmkeuning New Member

Alright, I ordered the turntable. I’ll hopefully pick up the amps this weekend. Speakers... i’m sure those ADS Speakers will hold value better than new stuff, and I’m pretty frugal so I’ll probably end up with them. It sorta comes down to cash flow between now and this upcoming holiday thing. Thanks for the good advice!

HiFi Guy likes this.
  8. jmkeuning

jmkeuning New Member

Thanks for helping me out. I have talked to the guy selling the Adcom amps and he is selling some ADVENT Legacy II speakers which I would like to ask you about:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/d/advent-legacy-ii-quality/6408062012.html

He is asking $175 which is significantly less than the ADS. I have read that the Advent IIs are good, even very good, but not great. It seems that the ADS speakers are great so should that settle it for me?

He is also selling a MARANTZ 2226B for $375. Any reason I should look at this over the Adcoms? My house is small, so I do not think I will miss the power. I think it looks really cool, but I'm thinking it might priced at a premium and that the Adcoms are better for me right now.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/d/marantz-2226b-classic-quality/6416662623.html

Comments are appreciated! If I do this right I might be in music bliss tomorrow night.

9. HiFi Guy

Wow! You keep running into gear I sold or know well.

Pass on the Advents for a few reasons:

The ADS are worlds better and worth the money.

The Advents have foam woofer surrounds. They will deteriorate over time. The ADS woofers have a rubber surround and should be trouble free. The ADS sound far better too.

The Marantz is a really nice piece, but I'd still go Adcom. The Adcom has more power, and seperates give you options- like to could upgrade just the preamp down the road. Also, the Adcom sounds better- and for less money.

10. BHD

BHD Member

Check out used gear at HiFi Sound in Minneapolis. I've seen some amazing deals there. I'm not affiliated with them in any way but I've been a customer for thirty years. Keep an eye out for vintage tube gear, sometimes people will give you stuff for free to get rid of it even though it sounds great.

lee newman likes this.