Nine Inch Nails, And Anything Reznor

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by Vebberim, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Vebberim

Vebberim Well-Known Member

As President of the NIN fan club on the forum, it's only appropriate to start this thread.

While we wait for the next craft by Reznor, let's carry on some discussion on this thread! What is everyone's thoughts on Hesitation Marks? Did you get absorbed in the Year Zero ARG? Did you recently get into Reznor's work, or were you known to "f*ck like an animal" when you were in high school?

;)

Hazbro666 and Eric like this.
  2. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

I got threatened for listening to PHM in high school because it wasn't Guns n' Roses. But enough of my childhood trauma.

I think this new phase of his career is interesting. The scoring stuff, the HtDA stuff, etc. curious to see where he goes with it.

Vebberim likes this.
  3. Vebberim

I think it has its roots when he made his choice to remain sober -- With Teeth proved that he could be relevant in his new mindset and towards the end he gave away very small traces of what was to come. Ever since he started the Ghosts project, the experimental side really began to stand on its own, hence why the Social Network has references to the source material. NIN, as a whole, has gotten tamer as a result, but I'd like to see how it'll influence the next phase too.

4. Canuckle

Canuckle Well-Known Member

You can be President, as long as I can be Prime Minister. I'll take care of Canada relations...

Personally, I have enjoyed more of Reznor's instrumental/production work (e.g., Ghosts, soundtracks, Saul Williams etc.), than his album work of the past decade. That being said, I do get something out of both, and the Year Zero ARG was pretty awesome to live through. You could cut a pretty killer 'Greatest Hits Pt. 2' from With Teeth onward, but there are some cringe worthy experiments that didn't sit well with me (Capital G, Everyday is Exactly the Same, Everything).

I'm really excited about what is coming next, and to see if he continues with HTDA, as I found that to be a slightly underrated project. Either way I'm pumped for the next chapter!

Vebberim likes this.
  5. Canuckle

Canuckle Well-Known Member

Oh and while my NIN collection is slowly getting there... the elusive reasonable priced Fragile and OG copy of Broken as my main misses at the moment.

6. Adam

Adam New Member

I bought The Downward Spiral when it came out when I was in college. March of the Pigs was the song I head I believe on MTV 120 minutes and loved it.

7. murso74

murso74 Well-Known Member

i was obsessed with getting all the Halo's in the 90's.. gave up on that pretty quickly

8. Adam

Adam New Member

I actually did get all of them back then! Haven't kept up though.

Vebberim likes this.
  9. murso74

i was having problems getting the singles from Pretty Hate Machine, so i said sticky pudding it

10. Vebberim

The cringe songs you listed -- friggin spot on. They sound more like something he needed to write to get off his chest. They're surprisingly some of the catchiest tracks on each album.
    I'm looking for anything post-PHM at the moment, my pride and joy right now is my Year Zero and the remix on wax. Currently on the grab list is a UK copy of Closer to God, Ghosts I-IV and Things Falling Apart.
    People say its a great album but I fail to see anything amazing about it, other than Head Like a Hole. Easily my least favourite NIN album.

11. murso74

i was 17 when it came out, and it sounded like nothing else ever. Its an age thing... was much harder to find non mainstream music.

also, Head like a hole gets skipped more often than not when i'm playign that album.. kind of like Smells like Teen Spirit does for Nevermind

GritNGlitter, Jkeech and Corycm like this.
  12. murso74

I miss CDs sometimes IMG_20160226_184835.jpg

13. Vebberim

14. murso74

is it really? i always loved that little CD, but hated that you couldn't play it in the car

Vebberim likes this.
  15. murso74

The only one of the original halos that IMG_20160226_190719.jpg survived

Vebberim likes this.
  16. BeerCanChicken

BeerCanChicken Well-Known Member

Downward Spiral is one of my best sounding vinyls.
    the Fragile would be awesome. Back in my day......
    they had these CDdiscmen that wouldn't skip because it was on a 12 second delay or something. The Fragile was my jogging album. Alas, I've seen the prices the Fragile commands on vinyl...

Jkeech and Vebberim like this.
  17. murso74

More reznor inspired goodness. The 1000 homo djs (pardon the name). Was supposed to be rez singing supernaught, but at the last minute the lawyers stepped in. Pigface with the original version of suck

Attached Files:

Vebberim likes this.
  18. murso74

Attached Files:

Vebberim likes this.
  19. Vebberim

When I get home, I need to post that pic of loot I bought off of @Corycm... Likewise, might want one of those pink Tori Amos copies from ya ;)

20. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

The cassingle is the hidden jewel.

I think age is a big thing - PHM was a THING in 1991. We were basically pre-grunge. Industrial as a genre was way closer to art or metal. Look at the comparable albums of the time.

And Broken, on vinyl, OP with the white die cut sleeve extra is still white whale status for me.

One of the few things of mine that doesn't now live with Vebby is an original Downward Spiral (promo) and an OP Pretty Hate Machine vinyl.

But I do have two mint, sealed Tori Amos OP of "Under the Pink" on pink vinyl. I might part with one... some day.

GritNGlitter and Vebberim like this.