Record Club Club July 12th 2018 - I Love You, Honeybear

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by AudioAce, Jul 12, 2018.

1. AudioAce

AudioAce Well-Known Member

Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear

Release Date -
    February 9th, 2015

Label - Subpop

Genre - Indie Folk

Streams - Spotify Apple Music YouTube

List Of Releases - Discogs

Short Summary
    With a voice like honey, Father John Misty AKA Josh Tillman sings his way through an album all about love. But it is not as simple as that. Love can be many things. Something beautiful, pure torture and everything in between and FJM explores it all with his signature wit.

Note
    As this is the first time I am doing something like this, suggestions would be great. I have a couple of questions for you. Should a new thread be made for every discussion or should we just have one thread? How long should we talk about an album? A day? 3 days? a Week? Any additional info I should add?

So listen to the album and lets talk about it. Anything from lyrics, instrumentation, production. Personal stories or how it affected you is welcomed as well.

One more note follow this Google Form and let me know which album we should listen to next time. Please no spamming or memeing. If it becomes a problem I will contact someone and ask them which album we should do instead! Hope we can have a good discussion!

Hunna, Darren, Jspaul and 3 others like this.
  2. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

I'd say same thread, and about a week for each album. Maybe change the title to reflect the album each week.

3. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

Yeah, similar to the daily vinyl challenge. Might also be helpful to make a link in the first post to the beginning of the new discussion.

4. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

may want to edit the first post to highlight which albums and link where the discussion begins for each

5. RowBearToe

RowBearToe Well-Known Member

This sounds fun, I'm in! I think a week would be a good place to start as well.

6. cul8er

cul8er Well-Known Member

This is good timing. I have not really gotten into FJM before now, and I'll get to see him perform this weekend. Listening right now with the lyrics page open.

lee newman, AudioAce and Phaneronic like this.
  7. bohnjaggs

bohnjaggs Well-Known Member

I'll try to give it another listen in the next couple of days but this might actually be my least favorite FJM album at this point ...

I loved Fear Fun... Loved it from the first listen. Saw him at least twice in concert while we was promoting that. I thought Honeybear was definitely an improvement over the debut when it first came out but ... maybe I listened to it too much ... It's probably the only Misty album currently where I've actually gotten tired of hearing most of the tracks.

lee newman, M Penny and Phaneronic like this.
  8. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

This is actually my favorite FJM album. I was aware of songs like "Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings" but "Bored in the USA" is what caught my attention prior to this release. It's still one of my favorites on the album. My first time listening to the whole album I loved the music but the lyrics made me (and sometimes still do) make me cringe so hard. But I find the songs cleverly written and there's a good mix of styles.

Favorite Tracks: I Love You Honeybear, The Night Josh Tillman Came to our Apt., Bored in the USA and Holy Shit.

9. ThePakoBuelna

ThePakoBuelna Well-Known Member

This sound good. Weekly album, title change and first post with info on the different discussions. I'm going to sit this one out because I'm not much fan of FJM.

tvham, lee newman, Woob_woob and 2 others like this.
  10. Count_Vader

Count_Vader Well-Known Member

I'm SOOOO f*cking down for this idea!

lee newman and Phaneronic like this.
  11. Nova

Nova Well-Known Member

Aww Yissssss!

To answer your questions:

-Definitely make a new thread for each album. Could you imagine how hard it would be to keep track of all of that? And how many comments would get necro'd and taken out of context?

-3 days would work for me, but making it a weekly thing would be nice. It's also a lot easier to keep track of instead of having "new album days" skipping around the calendar.

Voted for Jai Paul as the next album/artist to discuss ;)

Recommendation: Make a public spreadsheet so we know what albums have been chosen. Wouldn't want to have any repeats, now would we?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    lee newman and Phaneronic like this.
  12. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

Alright. The new album is listenable and I’ve never listened to this one. I’ll check back in a week after I’ve spent some time with it!

13. Jspaul

Jspaul Well-Known Member

ILYHB is the first FJM album I listened to and is still my favorite. His biting lyrics and sarcasm is on full display. But my favorite track on the record is the closer, "I went to the Store One Day". Who knew such a terrible person could write such a beautiful song.

14. Juiceless

Juiceless Well-Known Member

I dont know anything about FJM... is he a terrible person?

15. Jspaul

Jspaul Well-Known Member

His public persona, Father John Misty, is a jerk. Not sure about Josh Tillman the man though

16. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Well-Known Member

I would guess not, but I that's how he displays himself and I think you'd have to be his wife or something to not see that side of him.

lee newman and Juiceless like this.
  17. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call him a terrible person, but he is every terrible hipster stereotype personified

wooha, folsom_lives, teee and 5 others like this.
  18. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

@AudioAce....
    One thread. Change the title. Weekly works. I’m gonna give things three listens before I comment after My I’m hype or ewww yuck first post. I really like to live with things a bit longer, but that’ll work.

Suggestion: go ahead and take the first post and copy or quote it to a new post. That way when you go to the next album... you can put the new one there and maybe a link to the last album’s post. That way there will be living archive in the thread.

I do like @Nova ‘s suggestion of a spreadsheet.

ThePakoBuelna and Phaneronic like this.
  19. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

My copy was a PIF from @Corycm and it gets regular spins. Fear Fun- not so much.

Hunna, lee newman and Phaneronic like this.
  20. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I'm well familiar with this album, but I'll give it a fresh listen soon and post some thoughts up in here. Excited about this thread!