Shipping to Canada...Amiright?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Smansmith, May 11, 2017.

1. Smansmith

Smansmith Well-Known Member

The new album from The National is currently on pre-order. I thought to myself, "Hey, I bet that would be a nice album to purchase, let's get on that!".

Then I see pricing on the Americanmary.com site for pre-orders and have to come to grips of being in 'The Great White North'. See below for total price (in USD) for the double LP, shipped including taxes:

[​IMG]
    ***edit: ignore the image above (see two posts below) - this is inflammatory over-exaggeration statement on my part. It really would have made a great point tho!

*Kalispell, MT & Calgary, AB were shipping locations used.
    **Oh, and the MT address had faster shipping included in their price.

Shipping to Canada, amiright? Who else has ridiculous stories to share?

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. TCell

TCell Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's crazy. Not sure what we're doing differently, but I got $51.72 CAD for the Blue vinyl preorder.

Not vinyl, but the worst I've experienced was getting charged $750 to get my class' robotics supplies shipped to the Yukon, when in the US the shipping was free. Glad the government paid for that one.

BattleFlag likes this.
  3. Smansmith

Ahhh, I must have been still on USD as I converted to CAN manually! That is much better, even though there is a 'premium' charged to ship to CA that is over just the currency conversion. Still a audible sigh, but just not as loud, thanks for pointing out my butter fingers! So then fine....I pre-ordered it. :)

That is crazy about shipping to the Yukon - I can believe it, but still...I live in Calgary so I get better than average shipping times but the Yukon shipping times must take a bit to get used to!

BattleFlag and TCell like this.
  4. naftey

naftey Well-Known Member

Yeah, theres also the part where I'm fairly certain some people at Canada Post simply dont know where the Yukon actually is and you're watching your tracking go all over the place. My partner recently had an amazon order get marked "out for delivery" in Fort St. John, BC. Nice try?

BattleFlag and Smansmith like this.
  5. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Well-Known Member

I just shipped an Album to the US and it cost $17 lol crazy

6. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

For fellow Canadian residents, do we get hit with taxes at customs? Or do you usually pay nothing more than the original VMP purchase prices?

7. Juiceless

Juiceless Well-Known Member

Yeah, shipping huuuuurts.

@Mather I haven't been hit by duty/taxes on a VMP shipment but I'm sure it will happen at some point. I find I get hit on around 5-10% of shipments from the US. I assume customs doesn't have the resources to hit every package.

Mather likes this.
  8. TCell

TCell Well-Known Member

Welcome to VMP forums!

No to customs. One time on a big box I got charged customs, but I emailed VMP customer service and they gave me store credit for the amount.

Shipping is $5 for the first item and then $3 for every other item. If you make another purchase in the same month, you'll get charged the initial $5 again, but email CS and they'll refund you the $2.

9. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Yeah same for me, but I know that some companies somehow include the duties and tax in the original prices, or claim they do. So I wasn't sure if this was the case with VMP. But I assumed not. I did read on here somewhere about someone getting nailed for duty on a ten album delivery but VMP reimbursed the cost. I think it might have been @TCell. Not sure.... but either way very cool they do that.

One other unrelated question... on the storefront is there no way to view albums by genre? There is a John Lee Hooker member exclusive that doesn't show up on any of the drop down menus but will appear in the random noteworthy scroll menu at the bottom of the main storefront page. I'm worried I might be missing others...

EDIT

HAHAHA @TCell you literally wrote that as I was writing this response... so it was you, nice....

BattleFlag and TCell like this.
  10. Juiceless

I wasn't aware that a shipper could take responsibility for duty, but now that you've said it it makes sense! Looks like VMP will cover it so that's really good to know for the future.

Re: JLH - it looks like former records from the Classics side sub don't have a spot in the browse system yet. If you search 'Classics' you'll find the available ones. FYI I think I saw they're almost out of that JLH record, so if you want it, I wouldn't sleep on it...

BattleFlag and Mather like this.
  11. BattleFlag

BattleFlag Well-Known Member

Yeah, shipping stuff up north can be brutal. The worst I have seen was trying to order a video game soundtrack pressing from iam8bit's US store. The record was $40 USD, and their only shipping option to Canada literally doubled the price. No, thank you...

Smansmith, Juiceless and Mather like this.
  12. Smansmith

Despite my original example being a little off (above) I always kinda roll my eyes to myself in the general forums here on VMP with the (often) Americans complaining about single digit shipping fees as being outrageous. Literally the other day I think I saw someone say "$6/$8 shipping was crazy so I didn't bother ordering..." or similar. HA, imagine those rates!

I blame Amazon Prime shipping times/rates for causing the distortion field for overall shipping expectations these days. I mean I love it when it works out for me as a Prime member but ordering direct from labels/artists is just getting crazy in comparison.

Juiceless, BattleFlag and TCell like this.
  13. BattleFlag

Agreed. I'm really happy I finally cracked and went with Amazon Prime this year for that reason. Even if our prices are a bit higher on most records, saving on shipping from the US usually makes it cheaper in the end.

I was also recently in Vancouver on vacation, and ventured into a couple records store. Holy hell, were the prices on new vinyl there expensive! Like, some almost double what I see in the local Calgary stores here. I'm guessing that is due to the insane prices of business space rental that Vancouver is experiencing right now (That said, I did go into Beat Street Records and find a couple decent deals on a Rotary Connection S/T and Christmas album). I can imagine, if I was in Vancouver, doing most of my record shopping online to avoid the crazy markup. Being that close to the border could also give you a chance to rent a PO Box just over the border (like they do in a couple places in Montana for Albertans).

@Smansmith We do have it pretty good in that our local shops carry pretty good stock and prices aren't (usually) outrageous on new records.

Smansmith likes this.
  14. Smansmith

Agreed. Hopefully we can get some more Amazon goodness when they build that Amazon fulfillment centre here in Alberta...next year??

And yes, we definitely have a few spots to get some pretty decent LPs around Calgary - I normally hit Turn It Up (South), Luke's Drug Mart and even Sloth/Blackbyrd. Pretty good ratio of getting in the indie exclusives as well around these parts too!

BattleFlag likes this.
  15. dabble

dabble Well-Known Member

The problem that sucks for us is that the majority of "deluxe" or limited edition vinyls have to be purchased from the record label or artist website. That means at least $15USD shipping on any colored vinyl really. For example I want this https://jawsoflove.bandcamp.com/releases, and I will probably bite. Amazon has the LP but makes no mention as per usual of any specifics.

Juiceless, Smansmith and BattleFlag like this.
  16. BattleFlag

This is definitely the biggest drawback of being a Canadian collector. If it's a colour variant/indie exclusive, good chance that stores in the bigger cities will get some. But Bandcamp/label/artists exclusives always come with the bigger extra shipping dent.

Juiceless, Smansmith and dabble like this.
  17. Smansmith

I 100% agree. Shipping is not cheap (for artists and labels) and that carries over to the customer. This means it has to be a very special item for me to buy direct from an artist or label; which makes me a bit sad.

18. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Has anyone here ever bought from a US VMP member? If so what were the shipping costs? I'm trying to get my hands on the Gang of Youths double LP and it seems like the only way to do so is potentially through a US member.

19. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Have any of you ever bought from Amazon.uk? I'm just wondering how bad the duty fees are if it gets flagged.

20. Juiceless

Duty is duty whether it's from the us or Europe. I'll say this - I occasionally get hit by duty on things coming from the US. I've never been charged duty for something from the EU. I'm a small sample size, but...

Mather likes this.