Snoop Doggystyle ROTM not as advertised

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by User1122, May 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. User1122

User1122 Well-Known Member

This warrants a dedicated thread.

VMP advertised a tip on gatefold jacket but they are sending out non tip on single jackets. I and others choose this title partly or entirely on this representation.

Will this be rectified somehow?

For those interested in following the start of this shite show: http://forum.vinylmeplease.com/index.php?threads/vmp-rap-hip-hop.4932/page-307#post-570865

After the initial posts, VMP quickly changed some of the advertising on their website to erase all references to the tip-on gatefold.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  2. bettim84

bettim84 Well-Known Member

I sure hope so. The gatefold sleeve was a major selling point.

3. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member

It's especially saddening to me to realize that VMP have edited and updated the Rap & Hip Hop page to omit the information about tip on and gatefold. However they made this edit AFTER the records were sent out to customers.

That doesn't make me feel good, VMP. It doesn't make me feel good at all. :(

4. User1122

They obviously know this is wrong and bad. No following up with us. This is gross.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  5. Melt Face Molly Drop

Melt Face Molly Drop Well-Known Member

I will have nightmares about the Unborn Doggystyle tip-on gatefold for years to come. Really disappointing.

6. Ave

Ave Member

Was one of the main reasons I added it this month :(

SupraWes and JonnyH like this.
  7. taylorgc1992

taylorgc1992 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't have added it if I would have known it wasn't gatefold. I hate non-gatefold double albums.

8. Jake!

Jake! Well-Known Member

I won't be receiving this, but damn that sure is a bummer.

Phaneronic, EmeryRK and JonnyH like this.
  9. Melt Face Molly Drop

Would also be interested in the staff's take surrounding the 45rpm spec and the decision to not feature it as a highlight (or anywhere on the release for that matter).

6od, Phaneronic, JonnyH and 3 others like this.
  10. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think I would have remembered the tip on gate fold jacket, but that is a pretty expensive feature to advertise and not include. I also honestly had no idea about the 45rpm on this one either. I personally still would have purchased it either way, but this is a BIG oversight in my mind. I normally try to stick up for VMPs decisions because I know what it's like to be on the other end of that desk, but advertising a tip-on gatefold jacket and not including either of those features is a big deal. Missing numbering or messing up numbering is a printing error. But how in the world did the internal gatefold artwork get overlooked? That is an insane oversight. I've let a lot of things slide because I generally don't mind as long as the record sounds great, and honestly this doesn't make or break me with VMP either way. But I do support anyone that's upset about this one because that's a major justification of spending more for a lot of people, especially on this very heavily advertised release. It certainly takes away from the premium feel that is currently being advertised.

And for the record, I said currently because they are still actively advertising this on Facebook to my knowledge. Likely other digital marketing as well. I believe this post was sponsored in my feed as recently as yesterday.

upload_2018-5-8_17-11-11.png
    Edit *Screenshot was included in the event the Facebook post is edited.

6od, djxfactor511, Siglet and 8 others like this.
  11. Melt Face Molly Drop

This is a great point. Someone must have surely thought this was a gatefold and thus submitted SOME sort of design? This gives me a glimmer of hope that this may have actually been a plant problem and they somehow switched the gatefold out erroneously. But then that brings up the whole issue of them changing the preview site to say Deluxe Embossed Jacket vs. the previous:

Untitled picture43.png

6od, djxfactor511, Phaneronic and 2 others like this.
  12. User1122

Thanks for posting those pics as VMP seems intent on erasing its papertrail.

I'm pretty annoyed. I switched my track specifically so I could get this item as described. I'm not a huge rap/hip-hop fan but I wanted this release because it's a classic and because of all the bells and whistles that were being advertised. If it was just the single sleeve, which can be found anywhere else, I would've just swapped my essentials for something else. This is not cool.

6od, Phaneronic, bettim84 and 2 others like this.
  13. YimYames

YimYames Well-Known Member

I need all new details I don’t trust any of the original things advertise for this release.

JonnyH, User1122 and displayname like this.
  14. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

Every day this operation looks more and more like a full on amateur shit show.

15. Melt Face Molly Drop

Nova, nolady, Woob_woob and 7 others like this.
  16. Melt Face Molly Drop

Also, awaiting the Noisey article on @Cloud titled: How One Man Brought Vinyl Me, Please To Its Knees: And In The Process Changed The Trajectory Of Modern And Golden Age Hip-Hop Vinyl Releases

jerryquijano, Nova, nolady and 14 others like this.
  17. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member

7F56814A-12D9-49A9-967F-079F6D7C0FC3.png This is a screen grab from the rap&hip hop page from this morning.

nolady and displayname like this.
  18. taylorgc1992

So, I am wondering whether I should go ahead and send @info a complaint so that we can all barrage them at once to seek a unified response or if I should wait until I actually receive my box. I am assuming that this is going to be a universal problem and not just something where some copies are off and others aren't.

19. Melt Face Molly Drop

I’m probably gonna send them something to try and move along a company-Wide response

20. taylorgc1992

Yeah, that is my thought as well, but since there have been indications they will be issuing a response tomorrow, perhaps I will wait and see if it is satisfactory.

Casey and DeadwaxDude like this.