Stylus Question of Sorts...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wokkerk, May 11, 2018.

1. Wokkerk

Wokkerk Well-Known Member

So Im sure that has been brought up before, but I had trouble searching for it so here it goes.

I see on a few of the manufacturer websites for cartridges that there are recommended lifespans for the stylus which can rage from 150 hours to 300 hours...

On top of that I have also seen that when people are selling used tables saying that it has "XYZ" cart on it with only 75 hours or playtime etc.

So here is my question....are there really people out there that count the number of hours that they have used a stylus? "whelp....one more hour of playtime, better add a tickmark to my notebook for runtime..."

I mean if people actually do that cool....but these numbers that people are thowing out for hours on a used stylus have to be estimations right?

FYI....Friday afternoon and bored at work...these are the thing that I think about.

2. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

I’ll be honest. I don’t. However, I guarantee that there are folks who do.

forkandspoon and JonnyH like this.
  3. Wokkerk

But it cant be super common right?

4. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

In this group, I can’t imagine it being super common. Head over somewhere like Steve Hoffman Forums or maybe those fuckers at VC (@gouis can explain their evil insanity) and I bet the numbers go way up. As a general rule I agree that the hours are rough estimates based off of average amount of records played X age of stylus. Think like, approximately 1 hour of play a night X 5 nights a week X 15 weeks of use = 75 hours.

forkandspoon and Tanqueray like this.
  5. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’m betting someone rocking a $15k mc cart is probably paying a lot closer attention than some schmuck like me running a few hundred dollar cart. I keep a rough daily average and stick a reminder on the calendar (Orin my phone nowadays) around that time, but mostly trust my ears.

lee newman likes this.
  6. Wokkerk

Good point. I try to trust my ears too. Im also thinking along the same lines of what Chucktshoes is saying....if I listen to one record a night every day of the week thats 7 a week meaning 365 hours a year.....but now Im getting into the realm of what I consider crazy.

Also like you said though.....if I were to have a 15k cart....I would be a lot more careful with it and monitor my investment on it. Assume a stylus is good for a max of 300 hours....take the 15k purchase divided by the number of hours....thats 50 bucks for each hour of playtime. I wish I had that kind of change to throw around.

forkandspoon and lee newman like this.
  7. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

The main reason I try to average and put a reminder in for myself is so that I start paying attention. That’s the problem with gradual degradation - if you listen every day, minor changes can be hard to pick up. I hate surprises, so I’d rather not wait until things get to the “wait this sounds horrible” stage. Plus I can plan for it in months that aren’t completely bill-laden, rather than have it pop up right after Christmas or something.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    lee newman and Chucktshoes like this.
  8. SKOT_FREE

SKOT_FREE Well-Known Member

I don’t count my usage hours. I just listen for the first sign of my stylus going out and replace it. I think most people on here are like that.

9. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Well-Known Member

What’s VC?

10. Nathaniel D.

Nathaniel D. Well-Known Member

Vinyl Collective. Forum owned by SRC Vinyl. During the recent controversy surrounding VMP's Doggystyle reissue and VMP's reaction to the issues brought up, Vinyl Collective took notice and invested way too much time in a thread mocking everyone on the VMP forums. @gouis has been leading the "charge" against them.