1. Starting at 8AM (Mountain) on Saturday, October 21st, we'll be taking the site down for a few minutes to perform an upgrade. We'll make it quick ;)

Suggestion Box

Discussion in 'Support and Q&A' started by Peyton, Sep 9, 2015.

1. mcherry

mcherry Moderator

It has been explained by Cam in the past that timing of when they get the go-ahead from the label or whoever for an exclusive can affect whether there's time to get the stamp from the printers or go with the standard jackets. Or in trying to keep the price down for us on an expensive package. I get the annoyance but in my opinion it's better than nothing.

wooha likes this.
  2. Enaz Fox

Enaz Fox Well-Known Member

I've seen that as an explanation as well. My only thought I've came up with is possibly VMP making up an index/buisness card with the band name/album title and #'rd/foil stamped on there. Just toss it in with the album then noone has to complain and I don't think it would cost too much extra. Could just be done in all exclusives by VMP so then no matter how it ended up there would at least be consistency. But I agree with the stickers being better than nothing at all.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    jbcalc, Alexander and wooha like this.
  3. wooha

wooha Well-Known Member

This is a great idea.

deltadon, lee newman and Enaz Fox like this.
  4. deltadon

deltadon Well-Known Member

I love extra chachkis with records. Serious.

5. LeeVing

LeeVing Well-Known Member

anyway you can add a filter so when someone types out "Vinyls" it gets auto switched to "Records"

I can't believe it's 2017 and we are still having this problem.

6. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Well-Known Member

Would be great if you could click on a record from swap view to the landing page for the record/package description.

7. bohnjaggs

bohnjaggs Well-Known Member

I personally prefer extra Chachis with mine...

IMG_0813.jpg

GritNGlitter and teee like this.
  8. waitressboy

waitressboy Well-Known Member

Because of my little freakout about losing the chance to get the record of Gabriel Garzón Montano, I noticed something. It's not a big deal, and I don't know if anybody suggested it.
    So, Montano's album is $23 on the store. I had originally swaped the ROTM for Nils Frahm's, that it's $27. And usually, after being ROTM, those albums are between $29/27. So I thought it would be fair that we get the chance to swap for any record on the store, and we get credit for the difference in the prices to use in the VMP store.
    (I don't know if I'm being clear, English's not my first language...)

chrb98 likes this.
  9. bohnjaggs

bohnjaggs Well-Known Member

Sometimes though it's also the opposite. I was able to swap The National this month for Justice and that one had a store price of $30. I only pay $25 a month on the 3 month plan so that's a good deal.

10. waitressboy

Yeah, that's also true. But maybe they could do that, if we want to swap for something more expensive, we can pay the difference. I don't know, it's just a thought.

11. Melt Face Molly Drop

Melt Face Molly Drop Well-Known Member

The way I see it, it's just part of swapping and part of the strategy in swapping. I swapped once for a $23 Mick Jenkins record and the another for a $32 Eddie Gale one. Now, if you're swapping every month for a $23 record, may want to re-think your investment approach.

GritNGlitter, mcherry and teee like this.
  12. GroovesInMiddleAmerica

GroovesInMiddleAmerica Well-Known Member

Exactly. From a programming perspective, I don't think it makes sense to put the time and effort into the software to nickel and dime people a dollar or two here or there or do these basic credits to try and get things to add up.

This needs to be a consideration when you swap, and you really need to consider it like a trade:

Would you trade an album you paid $25 or $27 for an album you could get for $19? Erm...maybe? Is it worth it to do that for an album you'd really want than trade up for a $32 album you won't like as much? More serious considerations.

Heath, hokeydokey and mcherry like this.
  13. phramenma

phramenma Well-Known Member

Have been sending this to @thestorfer lately, because I didn't know this thread existed. Sorry again for bothering. :oops:

I really enjoy VMP and the releases you're doing!
    I've been a member only for some months but nonetheless pretty addicted regarding my orders...
    But I've been thinking about something lately and would love to share my thoughts with you guys.
    I'd love to see a more world oriented subscription service. Most of the vinyl services only deliver US or UK based "Records Of The Month".
    But there's so much good music out there from different countries and that's why I was thinking: Why not doing another optional subscription choosing a record per month from a different country and maybe a top 10 list...
    This Daniel Norgren sold pretty good and I guess that most VMP members might be as interested as I am in different music styles from around the globe.
    I know that this requires even more hard work and you might be already on something like that.
    But as mentioned before I just wanted to share this with you and would he happy to help in the future. Maybe when you're thinking of expanding to Europe. :)

Thank you so much for all the pleasure and everything that's still to come!
    You are doing an exceptional job.

All the best and love!

14. GroovesInMiddleAmerica

GroovesInMiddleAmerica Well-Known Member

I actually had a similar thought, not as a subscription service but something else in the store, like a VMP Horizons pick (to expand your horizons beyond what you normally listen to) and sell a really cool album that comes from abroad or is a non-english language album.

GritNGlitter and lee newman like this.
  15. waitressboy

This is a great idea!
    There is a problem, at least when it comes to the music from South America: we aren't publishing a lot of stuff in vinyl, only the mainstream. It happens the same with the reissues: only the classics. It's ok for VMP because I doubt that all of you are familiar with Charly García, for example. But there are lots of stuff that we are waiting to be reissued and it's not happening... It's a shame, because there are lots of good stuff out there that more people should know. (I posted in another thread, I can't remember which, that it would be awesome to have "Dónde están los ladrones?" by Shakira -yes, it's a great album, she was really good when she was singing in Spanish- and a compilation by Mercedes Sosa).

GritNGlitter and lee newman like this.
  16. phramenma

phramenma Well-Known Member

I'd love some Mercedes Sosa!
    And I'm totally stunned what "Music From Memories" are doing right now. Especially their "Outro Tempo" compilation...

lee newman likes this.
  17. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

I'd be up for some Otros Aires- killer tango stuff out of Argentina.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    lee newman likes this.
  18. waitressboy

Oh, tango, now that's something that you can't find new on vinyl. Which is ironic, because it's one of the very few things that makes us known internationally and it doesn't make us feel embarrased (don't make me talk about Maradona and Evita. We're ok with Ginobili, though). There are some great new tango musicians out there, and it's even hard to find their stuff in CD.

That version of Naranjo en flor gives me goosebumps.

Enaz Fox likes this.
  19. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

Otros Aires is a current (or at least recent) band. I was lucky enough to see them 10 years ago playing the bandshell in downtown Orlando. I'd kill for their second album (Dos- big imagination ha!) on vinyl.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Enaz Fox and lee newman like this.
  20. waitressboy

Yes, the guys from Otros Aires (I think it's actually only one guy with lots of colaborators, but should check that) is part of a movement that started last decade that somehow we called electronic tango, which makes no sense if you stop to think about that. All in all, Otros Aires is one of the bands that sounds like real tango; there are other bands that, I don't know, the fact that you use a bandoneón doesn't make it tango.

The most succesful band of electronic tango is Bajofondo. Again, I don't think that this is tango, but oh well, it's better than most of current music here.

Disclosure: With "succesful", I'm talking about sales and fame. And Gustavo Santaolalla is in the band.

phramenma, lee newman and HiFi Guy like this.