Swaptions! (aka I'm not digging this ROTM, what should I swap for it?)

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by tvham, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tvham

tvham Well-Known Member

I mentioned this in the Forum Restructuring thread and it was suggested that I start my own thread so here goes...

Let's say you're just not feeling the ROTM and want to swap it out. Here's a safe place where you can ask for opinions / suggestions / advice. I'll even go first!

Don't hate but I've given Moses Sumney a couple of listens and it's just not for me. So I'm gonna swap. My swaptions (love this phrase, btw) are many but I decided on The War on Drugs "A Deeper Understanding" after listening to it a couple of times on Spotify and realizing I'd kick myself if I missed out on the VMP exclusive.

That's me. Go ahead, fire away if you have any questions about potential swaptions and hopefully some fellow members can chime in with suggestions.

2. Mr Moore

Mr Moore Well-Known Member

I love the swaptions. It's a hugely important aspect of the membership for me. Even on RotMs where I'm fairly certain that I'll want it, I head straight to the swaptions and bagsy whatever I'd like if the RotM isn't for me. I then give VMPs choice a few listens and decide whether I keep it or stick with my swaption.

This month, it was Gang of Youths that I put on standby. After a full listen to Moses, I don't hate it, but I know that I prefer GOYs. The flexibility of the swaptions means that I may pick Moses up at a later date.

I wish I wasn't so afraid of missing out on certain exclusives. I'd have definitely taken Sister Rosetta this month but was afraid it might not be here this month but c'est la vie.

3. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

Swaptions are great, but it's almost a FOMO Russian Roulette at times ;)

4. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Well-Known Member

Yeah I listened to Moses Sumney also it does nothing for me in the least. I swapped for Demon Days.

Dead C and displayname like this.
  5. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

This is a fun topic, and it might help prevent the announcement thread from becoming the negative vibe swap thread (probably not).

Anyway, Moses was much better than I expected but I know my preferences and it just wouldn't spend my time on my table. I was really tempted after hearing the first half to keep it, but for me the second half just wasn't my pace. If side B matched side A, I would have kept it.

Anyway, I went in for the Fugees. I just think it's a true essential that everyone should have, and the color combo/packaging looks top notch. I've watched it come and go from the store a couple times, and had massive FOMO once it was gone, so I figured this was a good time to jump on it. Also curious what they've got on that 7". I haven't even tried to look into that yet, haha.

Dead C, wooha, Mr Moore and 3 others like this.
  6. tvham

tvham Well-Known Member

Yeah, this was my main hope from this thread...no need to clog up the announcement thread with posts not really related to the AOTM!

I'm also hoping people will come here if they're torn between a couple of albums...I grabbed Eddie Gale a few months ago as a swap based on some solid feedback and am glad I did!

7. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

I know that next time I see a "blah, this RotM sucks, I hate VMP, I'm personally offended etc blah blah barff" I'm just going to link to this thread. I think the intro you wrote is perfect. The vibe here shouldn't be "I hate the RotM," and I like the idea of bouncing around the discussion of some of the options. It's like a new face paced version of the store thread!

wooha, NotOneStraw, tvham and 2 others like this.
  8. The_Stoned_Ape

The_Stoned_Ape Well-Known Member

Yeah swaps are pretty vital to my continued membership. I am the type of listener/collector where I have to feel that it really deserves a place in my collection; I think a lot of people are like this. But with VMP's really well done curation, coupled with swaps, it makes it to where I will always have an option that I'm happy with.

This month I went for Digable Planets.

9. jbcalc

jbcalc Well-Known Member

My swaption system has been fluid. I subbed in MMJ for Fiona a few months back but then subbed in Fiona for Morby the next month because it took me a little longer to really start digging Tidal.

I like Moses this month, but also like some of the swaptions so I subbed for Demon Days, even though I already have it, to trade or sell. The guilt of keeping Demon Days from a fan who would actually play it was eating away at the non-flipper in me, so I jumped on Blowout Comb when I saw it became available. Another good lesson is to keep checking the swaptions because they change over the course of the same AOTM period.

roger, Enaz Fox, displayname and 3 others like this.
  10. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

Good to know ;)

displayname likes this.
  11. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

They also run out of some swaptions. Last month had some really good ones.i let them sit for a couple of days to think about it and when I went back, they were gone.

12. gouis

gouis Well-Known Member

Dissapointed this isn't about a different type of swapping

13. kickerofelves

kickerofelves Well-Known Member

Y'all ... Open minded upstate, eh?

GritNGlitter likes this.
  14. gouis

gouis Well-Known Member

Yeah, especially compared you fundamentalist museum librarians!

DavidA likes this.
  15. kickerofelves

kickerofelves Well-Known Member

God's only true union is between a set of materials and an advanced method of classification

16. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Well-Known Member

I originally swapped for Betty Padgett. Then I saw Blowout Comb get added, so I switched to Blowout Comb and just bought the Betty Padgett straight away.

If you're a fan of soul music and looking for something to swap for, the Betty Padgett is sticky pudding-ing amazing.

bshikari and JonnyH like this.
  17. hatfieldpdx

hatfieldpdx Well-Known Member

Grabbed 'Demon Days' for this month's swap, then had to buy 'Blowout Comb' when a few copies re-appeared in the store.

18. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

Swapped for Blowout Comb too. It's an incredible album. I'm really enjoying Moses too but I couldn't pass it by. Moses will be mine in the future though.

19. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

The Twin Peaks songs soundtrack was a swap option and I was going to go for it but it has since been removed / sold out? Is this in response to Johnny Jewel repressing it on black vinyl and saying the red disc was faulty as that was what made me waver

JonnyH likes this.
  20. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member

I am firmly in team swap. This month I went with Betty Padgett. Last month I went with Missy Elliott.
    If there is a record I would rather as a swap option then I will swap every time.