The Spins - Az Chapter

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Tyr, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

Ok, so first off, we definitely need some chapter logos or shirt or something. HAhaha!

Here's my list of rocking places that I think would be great hosts to The Spins in downtown/midtown Phoenix. And you can pretty much count me in and damn near every gathering.

ValleyBar
    ValleyBarPHX.com
    A really snazzy underground bar/music venue that also has an area for poetry readings, chess gatherings, and a game room. The entrance is in an unmarked alley in downtown with only a tiny red sign above a very nondescript door. You have to KNOW its there to find it, speakeasy style. This would be a perfect place for the spins. Owned by the same peeps that own Crescent Ballroom, so they know music.

Angel's Trumpet Alehouse
    Angelstrumpetalehouse.com
    A very chill gastropub in the Art District of Phoenix (since you're familiar Sev, it's on Roosevelt and 2nd). A large selection of amazing craft beer and wine on tap and a huge outdoor seating area that people can just go to hang, play games, and chill with their pets too. The food is inventive, the clientele is always on the forefront of the social scene, and it's right across the street from the FilmBar. The outdoor area would be a great place for The Spins.

DeSoto Central Market
    Desotocentralmarket.com
    A super large and hip indoor co-op that host all different types of events and has numerous businesses operating on the inside. From high end cocktails and tea, to shellfish and an actual larder, this place has everything. Also located in the Arts District of Phoenix, this brand new building is just starting to gain steam with the downtown crowd. When you're there you see everyone from business people to moto-heads, hipsters to hippies, and everything in between. I can see The Spins really taking off in this area too.

Those are the three off the top of my head. Will gather some more info soon-ish.

2. Severan

Severan Sev Says

@green.bean

green.bean likes this.
  3. wooha

wooha Well-Known Member

I'm moving back to Phoenix (after two years in San Francisco) in exactly one week, so I'm in!

What about The Vig? Nice locations, event-friendly in general, and both Uptown and Arcadia seem to have DJ events, so they're probably equipped to handle the music side of it.

http://thevig.us

KBURNS and Severan like this.
  4. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

Nice! Welcome back to the area. The Vig is a great suggestion too. I was going to suggest that and maybe Culinary Dropout @ The Yard for two midtown locations.

Plus, they are both close-ish to Stinkweeds records. My favorite record store in Phoenix.

Severan and wooha like this.
  5. Melt Face Molly Drop

Melt Face Molly Drop Well-Known Member

6. Severan

Severan Sev Says

7. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

Oh shit! I forgot the one bar I was going to put at the top of the list.

Bitter & Twisted - Cocktail Parlour
    BitterandtwistedAZ.com
    An upscale speakeasy in the old Prohibition building downtown. It's THE scene nowadays in PHX. This. This is where the Spins should be held. I'll reach out to my bud and see if we can get the owner intro @Severan @green.bean

8. TheLaosMonster

TheLaosMonster Well-Known Member

hello! I'm a vinyl bro down in Tucson, whats good people!

KBURNS, wooha and Tyr like this.
  9. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

Welcome home new friend!

Anytime you're up in PHX just let me know and we'll hit up some record stores.

10. TheLaosMonster

Will do man! Saw Protomartyr tonight and could have gotten my album signed but said "sticky pudding it" when I left the house, maybe I'm not an autograph type a guy.

Tyr likes this.
  11. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

I'm the same way. I'd rather take the few moments I get to meet artists to just say hello and maybe talk music for a few rather than have it signed. Now if they're hanging out just to sign stuff, I'll generally buy something at their merch table to have it signed. But that's pretty rare for me.

Tons of great shows in PHX all the time.

12. wooha

wooha Well-Known Member

I wish I could transport the Rialto to Phoenix. I love that place.

So Phoenix has the Crescent Ballroom, Marquee, Celebrity Theater, Comerica, US Airways, Jobing.com (or whatever the sports arenas are called these days), Ak-Chin Pavilion... What other relevant concert venues am I missing? I feel like there are a bunch of newish/smaller ones that I'm omitting.

13. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

ValleyBar is the new spot. Then there's The Rhythm Room, located in the ghetto. Last Exit Live, Copper Blues, The Rebel Lounge (the old Mason Jar), The Pressroom, The Lost Leaf, and to an extent Char's Has the Blues

14. wooha

wooha Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks! Forgot about The Rhythm Room. I saw some great blues there years ago.

*signing up for all the Phoenix concert promoter email lists again*

15. Melt Face Molly Drop

I also recently moved to Phoenix. #VMPDesertFam

wooha likes this.
  16. wooha

wooha Well-Known Member

Welcome! We are getting quite the crew going here.

Tyr likes this.
  17. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

#VMPDesertFam For Life yo! Or, for at least the next couple of years ;)

Also, why haven't we hung out MFMD? I'm always in midtown/downtown, except for when I'm not.

Melt Face Molly Drop likes this.
  18. Melt Face Molly Drop

Good question, ma frand. I moved a couple months back but have been traveling quite a bit for work, so I've been waiting to release this information to the world once I was able to get all sitch-ee-ated (and now is that time). We (girlfriend and I) live in Midtown, so that's awesome. We will definitely have to grab a drink soon. I've been frequenting some of the places you mentioned above and recently went to a People Under the Stairs concert at Crescent Ballroom. Wild Nothing is playing there in May and I definitely want to go to that one, given that I am in town.

Are you going to the McDowell Mountain Music Festival at all? Friday looks pretty solid with Beck and Animal Collective.

Also, I just stumbled across this.... http://vivaphx.com Say whaaat. I'm not sure how it works, but looks like several venues will be hosting concerts. Unsure if the $22 is for all the venues or just each one. Kinda sucks that it is the same weekend as MMMF, though.

wooha likes this.
  19. Melt Face Molly Drop

20. TheLaosMonster