This Old House (the Vmp Home Repairs/diy Thread)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by lee newman, Jan 17, 2017.

1. YimYames

YimYames Well-Known Member

Yes, laminate technology has seemed to evolve quite a bit. This stuff was a buck a suarefoot on sale and has a 15yr warranty. If it lasts 5 yrs I'll be thrilled. Will definitely be installing more in the future.

nolady likes this.
  2. NotOneStraw

NotOneStraw Well-Known Member

Since I'm never ever moving again I guess this is our forever home.

Also, I stickying pudding hate the term "forever home."

YimYames likes this.
  3. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

As long as you steer clear of moisture it seems to hold up (friend had it in their bathroom [headshaking]). Although doggy claws are pretty good at wearing it down if you have skitterers. But easy enough to replace sections.

nolady and YimYames like this.
  4. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

Layover house.

5. YimYames

YimYames Well-Known Member

Haha when I typed that out, I was like, sticky pudding, I don't like that, but sticky pudding it, what else do you call it?

6. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

"Crushing debt" mostly

nolady, 6od, dbarila and 3 others like this.
  7. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

i have done half this. luckily i had hardwood existing underneath in good enough shape.

i somehow did that by myself i a. day and i'm not sure how, but definitely lost 10 lbs in the process.

how waterproof is the laminate? my concern is liquid seeping to the underneath and causing long term unseen damage. my mother wants me to redo some rooms in her house but i haven't gone into deep research about it yet. i'm also going to consider tiles.

8. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

It's not bad. It's all very snug piece to piece. I mean, you can mop it no problem, but I wouldn't dump a bucket. It's just composite board back, so if you soak it - particularly around, say, the edge of a bathtub, it will start swelling/bubbling and doing all the weird shit particle board does when you get it wet. That said, my friend who had it in the bathroom only saw water damage to the laminate at the room edges and the laminate pieces appeared to have soaked up the water, not the subfloor.

6od likes this.
  9. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

i am concerned mostly about my mother's inability to appropriately house train her dogs.

i've seen people diy it a lot in kitchens especially. and maybe it's just me (or strong water pressure), but i am unable to wash dishes without getting water everywhere. i clean it up but. i dunno. i would worry to much about it in rooms where appliances could leak water.

10. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

A sink I wouldn't worry about, though if you're extra sloppy I'd think about a silicon bead along the quarter-round under that cabinet. If a dishwasher or washer leaking I would be concerned, but at that volume of water, anything short of tile would be a problem.

6od likes this.
  11. nolady

nolady Well-Known Member

We just got new exterior doors installed--it's been needing to happen for a while and we've been losing a lot of heating and cooling through the massive cracks between the door and door jamb. The doors came primed and we're going to have to paint them. Does anyone have any good tutorials, articles or videos on painting doors?

6od likes this.
  12. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

One thing no one ever tells you about pre-primed doors: wash them and let them dry before you paint. I take it even a step further and do a light, super-fine grit sanding.

6od and nolady like this.
  13. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

if there's anything i've learned from refurbishing furniture, it's *ALWAYS* do a superfine grit sanding. just on everything. in between everything. especially if gloss is involved.

Corycm likes this.
  14. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

how are you going to paint them?

edit: also i have never painted an exterior door so have no direct links that i can vouch for, but my advice would be to seek out as many differing guides as possible. all too often some people just skip over important shit and half of them are basically ads/positive reviews for whatever paint sprayer they got for free (this makes me livid). as much as i loathe pinterest, they do have a few good "smart tips" type posts when it comes to furniture and painting.