Turntable Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ReasonableMan, Apr 20, 2017.

1. ReasonableMan

ReasonableMan New Member

Hello,
    I am new to the group and wanted to get some opinions on a new turntable. I have to admit that I don't know much about the turntables or their set up. I've been using the same set up for several years and have finally be able to afford to upgrade my set up and wanted to start with the turntable.

The rest of my set up includes:
    - Sanyo 4 Channel Stereo Receiver DCX3300K A
    - 2 SVS Prime Satellite Speakers

I would love to see what people think. I am also curious what peoples opinions are on the stereo. It was my dad's old stereo that he gave me a long time ago.

Thanks

blujay likes this.
  2. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

Got a budget in mind?

ReasonableMan likes this.
  3. ReasonableMan

ReasonableMan New Member

I don't think I want to spend more than $500

4. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've got a good start. Those silver face models are always popular receivers. Those speakers might be a little thin around the middle (just my experience with home theater speakers) but will be just fine to get started with.

There's more than a few threads started on picking out a turntable - even on this page. I'd recommend taking a peek through them for some ideas (there's been some good ones over the past couple weeks) to get an idea of the budget. That Sanyo has a phono in, but not sure how good it is. So you're definitely looking at a turntable (with cartridge) and maybe a phono stage. Depends on your budget.

Anything in mind yet, models or features?

5. ReasonableMan

ReasonableMan New Member

I will definitely take a look through some of the other threads. As I said, I don't know too much about turntables. I do think I would like to go with a belt drive table. Other than that, I'm open to anything.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  6. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

Makes sense. For $500 you've got a few choices. I'd probably recommend you get a phono stage with it. A stage is little pre-amplifier device dedicated to boosting the turntable signal to something your receiver can use. It does the same thing your "PHONO" jack does, just better, so you skip using that jack (also allows you to use a receiver without s phono jack if you need/want to later). A decent entry-level, like the UTurn Pluto, will cost you maybe $100. Still leaving you $400 for the table and cart.

For the table, hop over to UTurn's site. That's going to be the first thing everybody suggests, so may as well get ahead of the curve. Poke around and see what you think about the Orbit. Don't worry about configuring it, just see if something like that trips your trigger.

ReasonableMan and displayname like this.
  7. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

From our pal, resident guru and all around good guy, @HiFi Guy in another thread:
    Once you find something you think you like, we can all certainly help you tweak/configure whatever else needs done.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  8. neo_styles

neo_styles Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're already set up pretty well with those SVS Primes...would love to have a pair of Prime towers for the listening room one day.

As for sub-$500 belt-drives, you're going to get the most bang-for-the-buck buying used, but there's also alternatives like the U-Turn Orbit+ on Amazon. Toss in the Vincent PHO-8 for a phono stage and you're a little bit above budget, but should have a great system from the get-go. Considering the PHO-8 supports both MM and MC carts, you wouldn't need to replace that for a long while.

Orbit+
    https://www.amazon.com/U-Turn-Audio...8&qid=1492736255&sr=8-2&keywords=u-turn+orbit

or Open Box here

PHO-8
    https://www.amazon.com/Vincent-PHO-...&qid=1492736351&sr=8-1&keywords=vincent+pho-8

Alternatively, here's some other stuff I pulled up:
    https://www.musicdirect.com/turntables/music-hall-mmf-22-turntable-piano-black-demo
    http://www.soundstagedirect.com/pro...-red-open-box-turntable-audio-equipment.shtml

ReasonableMan and HiFi Guy like this.
  9. knicho

knicho New Member

I just purchased a Uturn Orbit custom and received a Pho-8 as a very generous gift. I arrived at the pair after reading various other threads (THANKS FORUM PEOPLE!)

Have to say I am loving the setup. I was originally sold on the orbit by the ability to add via customization as I was able to spend more (though I ended up splurging on the arm, ortofon red, and acrylic platter up front to save money down the road, oops).

I am no expert like many here on the forums, but just wanted to say that it is a very capable setup and I don't regret a single penny spent, by me or my generous gifter.

Regardless on what you decide, there is a LOT of knowledge on the board here, don't be afraid to explore outside of this thread too, there are a lot of great threads about purchasing or upgrading turntables. Excited to see what you end up with. Happy hunting!

10. ReasonableMan

ReasonableMan New Member

These are great reccomendations. Thank you! It definitely seems like the U-turn Orbit Custom is the way to go. It's really nice since it gives you the option to upgrade the system as you go. What's are the pros and cons of having the preamp built in to the turntable vs getting say the Pluto Preamp or the Vincent PHO 8?

lee newman, kvetcha and HiFi Guy like this.
  11. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

The pros of the built in are one less pair of RCA cables and slightly lower cost due to not needing a seperate chassis.

The con is you can't sell, say, the Pluto if/when you want to upgrade. Don't get the built in.

And if you are between the Pluto and the PHO-8, the 8 is really worth the extra money.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017