U-turn Orbit Support/information Thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by lee newman, Jan 5, 2017.

1. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

I did a search and there are a couple of U-Turn Orbit threads, but not one like this. If the mods disagree, feel free to merge them.

There are enough of us on the forums that I think we should probably have a support thread for this table exclusively, sure there are lots of suggestions and questions, but one place for everyone to go seems like a good idea.

If you are interested in the @HiFi Guy recommended entry level table, this is the place.

If you have tips, suggestions, or questions in regards to your own table, this is the place.

2. lee newman

@JoeC, you stated that when you changed the belt it felt unnatural.

What did you do?

Is there a recommended process?

I, drunk and on a lark last night, spun a 45 single. I just moved the belt on the drive. It was really easy, but I was also drunk so who knows? I feel the belt feels loose on the 33 pulley anyhow.

JoeC likes this.
  3. lee newman

@fritzg, in further inspection, I believe it was the queue lever that was preventing the needle from hitting the groove without the mat. I am not willing to give up the convenience of the lever for the naked acrylic. I plan on exploring mat options and may diy some support under the platter to see if I notice audible difference in the naked at some point as well.

Also, with this knowledge in hand, I will probably adjust the VTF to Ortofon's recommendation this weekend.

JoeC likes this.
  4. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Changing to 45 was fine. It was changing back to 33 that freaked me out a bit. The belt felt so loose!

Now it's been fine and I know people do this all the time, but it seems like a bad idea to stretch out the band. I'm probably being paranoid, and it's not like a replacement belt is big money, but it's just more of a hassle than I want.

I'll get the speed box at some point that Hifi recommended or upgrade my turntable, whichever one comes first and whichever he of many straws deems as the "proper" upgrade path. ;)

5. lee newman

Which speed box did he recommend? I've had a hard time researching that particular upgrade.

The belt wasn't any looser than it was when I initially installed it. I thought it felt loose to begin with, it also didn't really feel like I had to stretch (again I was drunk so...)

JoeC likes this.
  6. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

I believe it was the Pro-Ject one. I have it written down somewhere...

7. lee newman

@HiFi Guy ??

8. swamp

swamp Well-Known Member

The belt has always felt loose to me. It is also right in my OCD wheelhouse where I have fantasies of just pulling that flimsy rubber/plastic apart until it snaps. Fantasy aside, it helps to be calm and handle it as if it wasn't so delicate/precious when switching back to 33. If you're too cautious/slow, one side always slips back under the platter and you lose all your slack progress. Slip it on at normal speed and keep an eye to make sure it stays on the sides of the platter and it can be super easy.

lee newman likes this.
  9. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't find it difficult to switch from 45 to 33. I thought while I was doing it "Man, this is way too loose, this'll never work!" But then it caught and wrapped around the platter just as before.

So technically I have no reason to have a problem with the entire process. Psychologically though, I am scarred. ;)

MikeyPD and lee newman like this.
  10. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

The one I was originally referring to was Phoenix Engineering. The owner has retired. Some remain and are well thought of.

http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Phoenix-Engineering-Falcon-PSU-Turntable-Speed-Controller?search=Phoenix

This works too. Music Hall Cruise Control. Much mess expensive, although still not cheap.

The link is a discounted display model.

http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Music-Ha...currency=USD&gclid=CMrSxp25q9ECFcOEswod-4QIMg

Edit: Corrected link for Phoenix Engineering Falcon. Roadrunner is not what you need.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    JoeC likes this.
  11. lee newman

Well those cost as much or more than my turntable. That is some next table level shit right there. ;)

JoeC likes this.
  12. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was cost effective- just that it could be done. ;)

JoeC and lee newman like this.
  13. lee newman

methinks @JoeC needs to get over his fear of changing the belt...

JoeC likes this.
  14. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

That's what I like about HiFi... he lets me spends my money without nagging me!

15. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Or just avoid buying records that need to be played at 45 rpm!

16. lee newman

That's not a good solution. The records I have that are 45 sound amazing and the two Rising in my possession are 45. Rising is my jam.

Like in a perfect world, every album I want would be mofi, music matters, org, lita, or analogue spark; 200g; 45 rpm; mastered at half speed (for vinyl) and cost $15...

MikeyPD, forkandspoon, Siglet and 2 others like this.
  17. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

I never even thought about an external speedbox. However, I just don't think it will come up often enough to really need it.
    I do have some 45's on the way, so maybe I'll change my tune if the sound is really impressive. We've all got Panda Bear coming shortly, and I should have In Utero in my hands on Friday. If those really stand out, I might end up looking for more 45 cuts over 33 when it's an option.

lee newman and JoeC like this.
  18. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

So far it's worked for me. And it keeps me from buying those sweet, and expensive, 45rpm MoFi records. That's probably best for my wallet!

19. swamp

swamp Well-Known Member

I know this rich dude (he's a doctor) who has a Welch Allyn 28200 AM 282 Manual Audiometer to test the audiophile calibration and sensitivity of your ears. I was thinking of borrowing it and testing it with my own system and possibly upgrading to a 5 year old's eardrums, if needed.

MikeyPD, lee newman and JoeC like this.
  20. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Well, no, we don't *all* have Panda Bear coming! ;)

I have one 45rpm record. I didn't notice it sounding any better. But this sweet pressing of Pinkerton that I'm listening to right now sounds spectacular! (at 33 rpm, no less!)