Using a turntable through SONOS speakers - sacrilege?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sherlock Ohms, May 8, 2018.

1. Sherlock Ohms

Sherlock Ohms Member

I currently play records upstairs in the loft, where I've got 2 x 1210s with stock tonearms and Shure M44-7 (sob!) cart & needles, going through a Ecler Nuo 3.0 mixer into an old Cambridge Audio A1 and a pair of Acoustic Energy bookshelf speakers.

The rest of the house is wired up with SONOS kit 4 x Play:1s in various rooms and a Playbar in the lounge. Music sources are everything from Spotify and bandcamp to a 1TB NAS which has my music collection on it.

I want to add another deck downstairs next to my chair in the lounge to where I can play albums. I know to wire in a turntable to SONOS I need a line level signal and a ZP80/90/CONNECT or a turntable level signal and a ZP100/120/CONNECT:AMP

Has anyone on here done this before? are there any pros/cons to turntable/amp/preamp choices when wiring up a turntable to a SONOS system?

2. The_Third_Man

The_Third_Man New Member

I do something slightly different. In my main listening area I have a turntable, integrated amp, and floorstanding speakers. I also have a Sonos Connect connected to the integrated amp via digital coax. Using the digital coax lets me use the DAC on my integrated amp when listening to the Connect through my main speakers. We have other Sonos speakers elsewhere in the house so when we want to listen to the same music in multiple rooms I can include the main listening area in that Sonos group via the Connect.

But I also wanted the ability to stream what I am playing on my turntable to other areas in the house or outside. To do that I connected the "record out" outputs on my integrated amp to the line-in inputs on my Connect. I can then select that line level source on the Connect and group it with wherever I want to send it in the house. The pros seem obvious. The big downside is that there is about a .5 second delay in the sound between my main listening area which is getting the signal directly from the turntable vs sending/streaming it to the other speakers in the house or outside.

My understanding is that you want to hook up your turntable directly to the Sonos speakers. I have not done that and cannot comment. The way I did my set-up allowed me to maintain as much of an analog set-up as I could while also allowing me to send my turntable signal to other places in the house digitally. You would be losing that 'pure analog' advantage of a turntable by immediately converting it to digital. But you'd still have your initial set-up for the analog experience.

3. Sherlock Ohms

Sherlock Ohms Member

Not quite - I essentially just want to play records through my Sonos speakers - though I like your idea of using a 'local' amp and speakers and then hooking in a connect to use Sonos if I want to. Cheers

4. folsom_lives

folsom_lives Well-Known Member

I used to have my turntable connected directly into a Play5 which could both play the line level input and then stream to other speakers. It cost about as much as a connect amp does but it's also a pretty good sounding speaker. My complaint with the system was the pain it was if the internet connection got a bit dodgy and would start cutting out on the other speakers I was streaming to.

Smansmith likes this.
  5. Smansmith

Smansmith Well-Known Member

I did this as well and this was also my main complaint that it did drop out on a regular basis. It wouldn't drop out every time but I would expect a drop out at some point 2 or 3 times a week. You can always switch to compressed from uncompressed (WHAT??) and that stops the drop outs but introduces the noticeable lag mentioned above as well. Definitely convenient with Sonos but I did eventually leave it behind and go dedicated :) and now live without the multi-room advantage :(.