Vincent Pho-8: The Unofficial/official Phono Preamp Of The Forum.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by blujay, Sep 30, 2016.

1. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

Got my Vincent in the mail yesterday and hooked and fired it up as soon as I got home. This thing is the TRUTH. Peeps on the forum hyped it and I kept putting it off because I'm a tool. Everything sounds better but the thing that floors me is how deep my soundstage goes now. It was always wide but the decay I'm getting now makes each not linger with a sweetness I'd only really experienced with headphones before. My speakers were impressive but Angel Olsen is taking them for a drive right now!

Anyway, my main point for posting this is because I figured this might be a spot feedback and trouble shooting for the phono preamp. Since a number of peeps on the forum have it, or hopefully will have it! We can give suggestions and whatnot.

Should I stack the power supply on top or on bottom?

2. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

I put it on the bottom, but I don't know if that's "right".

I probably should've gotten a cheap pre-amp to start out with so I could "hear" the difference with the Vincent. Right now, my system sounds great, but I don't know what difference the Vincent really makes because I don't have anything to compare it to! :)

Like I said though, the solidity of the piece, the heavy metal frame, the obvious exceptional build quality... all of these things make me know that I made the right choice to get this beauty.

blujay likes this.
  3. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

I've got them on opposite ends of the turntable right now because I'm getting some noise when they're close to each other. I think this might be something @HiFi Guy recommended. Maybe my cables aren't shielded well enough because everything is tight and there's still some noise when the record isn't playing.

4. wooha

wooha Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how much real estate you have, but I think the idea is to place the power unit farther away from the TT, if possible. I have mine next to my UTurn TT - not stacked - with the pre-amp maybe 1.5" away from the edge of the TT, and the power supply directly on the other side of that so it's about 5-6" away from the TT. No noise issues that I can hear.

It's something to try, at least.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  5. kvetcha

kvetcha Well-Known Member

Ugh, can't wait until I have enough room to deploy something like this. Right now my Pluto is nestled in next to my Marantz with nary an inch to spare.

6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

Don't stack them. Separate them. If you have to go side by side, keep a few inches in between them and put the power supply on the right when viewed from the front.

This puts the power transformer away from the phono preamp circuits- the point in having a two box phono stage.

Edit: for cables- Blue Jeans LC-1. Low capacitance and well shielded- exactly what you want in this application.

wooha and JoeC like this.
  7. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

Should I get two? One from the turntable to the Vincent and the other from the Vincent to the amp?

8. HiFi Guy

Yep

blujay likes this.
  9. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

What would be the best option for grounding it then? Do I just peel off the ground cable that's attached to the stock cable that came with my Music Hall?

10. HiFi Guy

You can do that or leave it be. The Music Hall is supplied with a quality cable. I'd just get the 1 LC-1 in your situation.

blujay likes this.
  11. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

This might explain the noise I'm hearing then. :) I can only hear it at very low volume levels, but it's definitely an intermittent tone, lasting a second or two, then going away, then returning.

Guess I should've read the manual! :D

12. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

Don't need no stinkin' manual with @HiFi Guy around!

SKOT_FREE, displayname, MattW and 2 others like this.
  13. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

Cool, I'll leave the cable as is in case I sell the Music Hall down the road. You can ground it with some speaker wire, right?

HiFi Guy likes this.
  14. HiFi Guy

Correct.

15. HiFi Guy

The manual doesn't say much about placement. I figured it out by looking at pictures with the tops removed. If you are getting noise, it's either one of two things:

Electromagnetic radiation/interference from the power transformer in the power supply chassis. This is the most likely culprit.

Or- and this happened to me and I've not seen it before- hum when the ground wire attached to the Vincent but totally quiet when attached to the ground post on my Emotiva preamplifier.
    Oddly, my Shure cartridge didn't hum connected to the Vincent, my Ortofon did. My current cartridge is equally quiet grounded to my phono stage or preamplifier. If your amp has a ground post, try both places. Note: This will not be a solution for UTurn/TEAC/Rega or any turntable without a separate ground wire. Those brands are grounded through the RCA cables themselves, a perfectly acceptable practice.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    blujay and JoeC like this.
  16. HiFi Guy

In a perfect world, you want the power supply away from your turntable (so your cartridge or cartridge wiring can't pick up interference) and the phono preamp chassis. When I had mine, I had both units on a shelf about 7" below my turntable, power supply on the right with about 4" between them. It was quiet even with a low output moving coil cartridge.

wooha likes this.
  17. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

I moved the pre-amp off the power unit. That intermittent tone I heard before is gone now.

Awesome sauce! Thanks once again, @HiFi Guy!

HiFi Guy likes this.
  18. JonDigital

JonDigital Active Member

I've had my Vincent setup with the power supply to the right 3-4 inches away from the phono stage. Both units are 5 feet away from the TT inside my cabinet. I've been using these Mediabridge interconnect cables since day one with zero issues whatsoever.

One of the best recommendations I received on this forum was the Vincent. Couldn't be happier.

JoeC, HiFi Guy and wooha like this.
  19. NotOneStraw

NotOneStraw Guest

this is how I have mine set-up. you can see the PS is virtually touching my TT (on the right) and I have no issues with hum or interference

[​IMG]

mcherry and Final_Instrument like this.
  20. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

Hit the 5 hour mark on the Vincent tonight. The bass just gets me in the gut. So good. Still some hiss/hum when nothing is playing. So I'm gonna pick up the Blue Jean cables and try and ground the preamp to my amplifier and see if that helps. I'll report back.