Vinyl Clubs Of All Ages And Sizes (first posts updated monthly)

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by Enoch, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

A Collection of vinyl/label subscriptions/clubs (or something similar) in alphabetical order (VMP is first because this is hosted on their forum). If available and if there is interest I will update monthlies (that can be subscribed to as such) with the current release (and future releases, again if available). I will be depending on crowd sourcing to assist with keeping this up to date. I have included who is members of each club if they gave the permission.

Vinyl Me, Please
    (Monthly+): Main Sub: 1 special pressed album, art print, and cocktail recipe; VMP Classics: either a soul, blues, or Jazz album on black vinyl, special remaster, and custom long form listening notes; Rap & Hip Hop sub: each release will come with a stencil and obi strip
    Next main sub release: December 2017: Miles Davis - Sorcerer
    Next Classic sub releases:December 2017: Little Milton - Waiting for Little Milton; January 2018: Max Roach: Percussion Bitter Sweet; February 2018: Koko Taylor: I Got What It Takes; March 2018: Miles Davis & John Coltrane: The Final Tour-Paris, March 21, 1960
    Next Rap & Hip Hop sub releases: December 2017: Madlib - 420 Chalice All Stars; January 2018: Little Simz: A Curious Tale of Trials + Persons
    http://www.vinylmeplease.com/select-your-plan/
    Review

Colemine Records [label] (As Released): Early access to new releases and special pressing

Community Records [label] (yearly): Every release for one year from sign-up, digital, cassette, and vinyl options.

Creep Records
    (Monthly): One or Two LP monthly options

Feedbands (Monthly): Independent bands, members vote for the upcoming releases
    Choose from current or past releases
    https://feedbands.com/vinyl/
    @chris3145 @Heath (former) @Hazbro666

Flying Vinyl (Monthly) [UK based, available worldwide]: Box of five 7” from localish/newish bands pressed exclusively for FV

Experience Vinyl (as released): Album curated by a "seminal artist," "personalized commentary on why this album made the cut," "unique artist-chosen additions," and a store

Gilead Media
    (Yearly): All Gilead Media release for the year (unavailable)

Graveface Records (next ten release): $190, get the next 10 releases from the label (special editions)

Jalopy Records (Yearly/one time): 7" every 4 weeks from contemporary American roots, folk, blues & country scene (also digital sub available)

Joyful Noise Recordings VIP (Monthly/Yearly): Couple of options best to just check the website as they rotate

JNR 100 (Monthly): $100 a month, all JNR releases plus special releases, limited to 100 members all vetted, waitlist available

Keepers Record Club (Monthly): Choose one of three selections: New Release, Notable Reissue, or Outlier
    Next Release: December 2017: Sharon Jones& The Dap Kings - Soul of a Woman; The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle; Gunn-Truscinski Duo - Bay Head
    https://keepersrecordclub.com/join/

Lauren Records (as release): $100 for the next 10 LPs (2 7"s count as 1 LP)

Magnolia Record Club
    (Monthly+): One LP (special pressing?), curated by Drew Holcomb, and an art print
    Next Release: December 2017: Magnolia Mixtape - Volume 2; January 2018: Magnolia Record Club Presents: Judah & the Lion
    http://www.magnoliarecord.club/sign-up/
    @twentytwo

Mississippi CSR (Irregular): check out site for description

Newvelle Records (Yearly): Jazz club, past years still available

Now-Again Reserve (Quarterly):“Now-Again’s attempt at righting historical oversights”
    Next Release: shipping January 2018: Hunger! - Strictly from Hunger (2LP)
    http://www.rappcats.com/shop/now-again-reserve-a-deluxe-vinyl-subscription/
    @Heath (former)​

Numero Group Silver and Gold (as released): Pay $150 get early access and 15% discount on all future releases, $150 goes towards the cost of the releases, Gold automatically renews once the $150 runs out

Paste Magazine (Quarterly+): Magazine and Vinyl sampler

Polyvinyl 4-track Single Series (Yearly payment, monthly mailing): one 4 track 7” - two tracks by one artist the other two by another artist, exclusive

(continued in the next post)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  2. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

(continued from above)

Prescribed Vinyl (Monthly+):Choice of two curated picks a month (indie or funk/soul)
    Next Releases: December 2017: December 2017: Frankie and the Witch Fingers - Brain Telephone; Sharon Jones& The Dap Kings - Soul of a Woman
    https://www.prescribedvinyl.com

Private Press (as released): Independent bands, exclusive/variant pressing, art print
    Next Release: The Eagle Rock Gospel Singers - No Glory
    https://www.privatepress.club/
    @Enoch

Rough Trade (Monthly) [UK based, Europe available, US in the future]: Magazine, record (or cd), and hopefully a bonus item
    Next Release: December 2017: Jim James - Tribute to 2
    https://roughtrade.com/membership
    @anazapela @hokeydokey

Run Out Groove [label] (Monthly): new single artist compilations, expanded albums, singles collections, titles that are new to the vinyl format and much more, voted on by members

Secretly Society (Monthly+): One LP from Jagjaguwar, Dead Oceans, or Secretly Canadian, either new or past in a special color
    Next Releases: December 2017: Dinosaur Jr. - Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not; January 2018: Marlon Williams - Make Way for Love; February 2018: S. Carey - Hundred Acres
    https://www.secretlystore.com/secretly-society
    @Enoch @swamp @anazapela (former) @hokeydokey @dbarila (former)​

Skeletal Lightning Record Club (Yearly): LP or Cassette subscription to the labels 2017 releases in the most limited options

Soul Step Records
    (as released): First Access to releases (limited version)

Table-turned (Yearly, monthly option coming): curated independent artists previously unreleased on vinyl, organized by specific genres

Third Man Records (Quarterly): Usually one album (usually 2xLP), one 7”, and something else
    Next Release: The White Stripes - Live in Detroit (1999, 2000, 2001) [sign ups closed]
    http://thirdmanstore.com/vault/vault-subscriptions
    @Enoch @Woob_woob @Gatorjim @hokeydokey @GroovesInMiddleAmerica (sometimes) @BenMal @Tyr @JonnyH @chris3145 @MattS @phramenma

Tiny Engines (Monthly and Yearly): Complete vinyl, CD, and digital catalog options for the entire year or month

Trax & Wax (Monthly+; 2 or 4 12" options) [UK based]: Dance music focused, select moods (box)

Turntable Kitchen, Paring Box
    (Monthly+): Exclusive 7” and either coffee or spice/ingredient (you choose which)

Turntable Kitchen, Sounds Delicious (Monthly+) [coming soon]: 1 album featuring an artist covering a full album.
    Next Release: Frankie Rose - Seventeen Seconds (The Cure cover); Ava Luna – Histoire de Melody Nelson (Serge Gainsbourg Cover)
    http://www.turntablekitchen.com/shop/
    @Enoch @swamp @teee74 @anazapela @Tillman @Heath @chris3145 @GroovesInMiddleAmerica (sometimes)​

Vinyl Den (Monthly+): New all new releases from Dualtone Records and some of their favorites
    Next Release: December 2017: Brandi Carlile - Live From Benaroya Hall & Guy Clark - The Best of the Dualtone Years; January 2018: Brett Dennen - Brett Dennen
    http://www.thevinylden.com/subscriptions
    @twentytwo @slugr8 @lee newman @6od

Vinyl Moon (Monthly+): One mixtape LP

Vnyl Mnky (Monthly+): LP of a new artist, lithograph
    Next Release: December 2017: Moses Sumney - Aromanticism
    https://www.vinylmnky.com/collections/membership

Information can change at anytime, this is more or less a guide. I will try to keep up to date with the assistance of crowd sourcing. Inclusion on this list does not constitute endorsement or recommendation of any of clubs unless a member specifies they do.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  3. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

I do Third Man, Sounds Delicious, Vinyl Moon and Numero Group on top of VMP. I'll probably stop Vinyl Moon after my year subscription is over though.

I hadn't heard of a decent amount of these clubs and my wallet hates you for bringing them to my attention

chris3145 and Tillman like this.
  4. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I'm a member of Vinyl Moon, and although I have been enjoying it, I'm not sure I can keep doing it.
    I'm also a sort of member of Third Man's Vault, but I skipped this upcoming shipment cause I don't think I need a live album by a band I never listen to much.

5. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

I debated posting this because if people tell me about new clubs or positive experiences with ones I am familiar with in name only, my wallet (or more likely my wife) will hate me too.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Christine, chris3145 and Woob_woob like this.
  6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Well-Known Member

I think I'm at my limit with Numero, VMP, Third Man, and Sounds Delicious.

The price for a lot of the others gets to be too high for me. Or they offer things like 7'ers, which I don't really care for.

GritNGlitter likes this.
  7. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

I would consider joining Third Man. My impression is that they're all about old blues and small indie/Americana bands. I definitely have a dearth of blues in my music library that could use filling.

8. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

Yea 7' are a no go for me as well

teee, NotOneStraw and Eric like this.
  9. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

What is Numero?

10. Melt Face Molly Drop

Melt Face Molly Drop Well-Known Member

1. In addition to TMR Vault and here, I also do Turntable Kitchken's coffee + vinyl (7") pairing, soon-to-be Sounds Delicious, and then the Joyful Noise Recordings mystery singles shipment.

11. Chupacabra

teee, nolady, ranbalam and 1 other person like this.
  12. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Turntable Kitchen sounds completely bizarre. You get a record and a recipe?

Yes, yes, I know, VMP includes a cocktail recipe as part of the AotM, but that's not quite the same as a recipe.

Do you actually create the dish the recipe is for?

13. Melt Face Molly Drop

As far as their Vault releases, not necessarily (though Jack is definitely influenced by old blues). Since joining about a year ago, I've received a Jack White acoustic box set, The Dead Weather's latest, a box with a bunch of JW's bands prior to the White Stripes, a White Stripes live set, and now a Pearl Jam live set.

Woob_woob and JoeC like this.
  14. Chupacabra

I read every month's VMP recipe as "pour three fingers of Bourbon in a glass".

Divella90, Philip, CAPacelli and 19 others like this.
  15. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

I don't know who the Dead Weather are. That would be new to me.

White Stripes live set? Pearl Jam live set? That's uninspiring to me. I'm generally not a fan of live sets unless a band is playing new material and/or significantly new versions of old songs.

Hmmm... so maybe not. Still want to visit the Third Man Records store in Nashville. That place looks like a lot of fun!

16. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Haha! Nice!

lee newman likes this.
  17. Melt Face Molly Drop

The White Stripes set was recorded before they had released their debut album. So technically they were playing new songs before they were new songs. So if you're into raw garage rock, that release may be your thing. The Dead Weather is another band Jack White is in (fronted by The Kills' Alison Mosshart). I wouldn't make a decision based on reading a five sentence blurb on this forum, though. Take a look at each individual package for yourself to get more information: http://thirdmanstore.com/vault/vault-releases

Most include additional items, such as 7", DVDs of the performances, novelty items like pins, coins, books, playing cards, etc.

18. Chupacabra

I believe the Third Man scrip will usually send out a special release of any new album they make. Margo Price and Loretta Lynn both had vault exclusives.

They're at the point now where most of the White Stripes back catalog and one-off's have been done, so it should be pretty cool moving forward. The Pearl Jam live set is going to be a really good release since it was done in a small studio so it should be pretty intimate. Not that I like Pearl Jam, but the Mrs. loves them so it's going to make a great Christmas present.

JoeC likes this.
  19. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

None of that sounds appealing. :) I think my idea of what they would offer is more of what I want than what they actually do offer. Pins, coins and playing cards sounds like more CLUTTER, which I need less of! :)

Maybe VMP will give me some old blues. Probably already has.

20. Melt Face Molly Drop

I hear ya there. The one coin they sent out actually doubles as a 45 adapter. So that's getting some usage from me. Other things they've sent like set-list replicas, playing cards, DVDs, mini gig-posters and iron-on patches just kinda sit in my closet.

JoeC likes this.