Vinyl Me, Please Q & A

Discussion in 'Q & A' started by cjschaefer, Nov 3, 2014.

1. mcherry

mcherry Moderator

The 2nd, I think.

2. cjschaefer

cjschaefer Administrator Staff Member

2 main things: First is a limited-edition pressing we're partnering with Ace on for JazzFest that will be announced soon & be sold at Ace during JazzFest - second is a compilation project we're working with Ace, WeTransfer & Gilles Peterson from the BBC on - also more details to come.

nasa_life, Enaz Fox, Eric and 2 others like this.
  3. Vebberim

Vebberim Well-Known Member

Staying at the Ace Hotel
    If the calm would allow
    Then I would just be floating to you now
    It would make me pass to let it pass on
    I'm climbing the dash, that skin

Jspaul likes this.
  4. Christine

Christine Member

1. If you want more than one vinyl record a month then the VMP member just can buy things from the store?
    2. The price goes up because the months you want to be subscribed gets higher?
    3. How do people at VMP know what kinds of records to send you each month if you don't give them somewhat of an idea of the types of records your looking for?
    4. How do you make your account for your membership for the VMP club?
    5. Do you guys only sell vinyl from today's artists and not vinyl that's older?
    6. For vinyl from today, what kind of record player would you think be best for playing newer vinyl?

5. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

1.) The VMP store is pretty much like any other online retailer that sells records. The one difference is that when the store refreshes with the latest curated releases (check the monthly store thread), those releases are only available to VMP members and not the general public.

2.) The current price rates for a VMP membership are:

Monthly $29

3 Month $81 / $27 a month

12 Month $299 / $25 a month

3.) VMP is a club about discovery and appreciation of music where the folks at VMP choose which albums they deem to be worthy of our (the members) time. This ranges from older music to new releases. Here is a list of all the releases they have done thus far. But along with the ROTM (Record of the Month) VMP also has numerous VMP store exclusives as well, which span many genres and time periods as well.

4.) Up on the top right of the page is a link that says, "Join The Club" in purple. There is where you sign up to be a member of VMP. Sadly, since this months release has been highly sought after (Gorrilaz - Demon Dayz) and VMP has actually ran out of allotted memberships for this month. This hasn't happened since some of the earliest days of the club. But If you want to try you can sign up to be put on a waiting list to potentially get this months release. If you want to wait for next month, you certainly can wait and there will probably be more spots open.

5.) VMP sells albums from all different kinds of artists from all different genres. While VMP does carry more many new releases, they also try to facilitate selling reissues of older albums. VMP has also done a great exclusives of older albums as well.

6.) What do you mean? A record player is a record player. For all intents and purposes they all play music. Choosing a player/setup is a whole other topic in of itself. If you are looking into getting a new record player or looking at a 2nd hand used player I suggest checking out the Hardware threads and asking some questions there. My only suggestion here is never get a Crosley.

serotonein, Mr Moore, Jspaul and 9 others like this.
  6. neo_styles

neo_styles Well-Known Member

@Eric , she's answered that same exact question on at least five other threads. Methinks a bot.

gouis, Eric and lee newman like this.
  7. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

I've figured as such when I initially wrote the post. Especially with the last "question" and that she supposedly has a "large vinyl(s)" collection. Never hurts to help if not the case though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Woob_woob and GritNGlitter like this.
  8. neo_styles

neo_styles Well-Known Member

Not to mention apparently needing different players for "old" vs "new" records. But I appreciate your patience on the matter.

GritNGlitter and Eric like this.
  9. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

Maybe I've just never noticed this before, but I just noticed when I go to my account, it tells me when I renew I will be charged $75 + tax. I don't believe I've ever paid tax before. I'm in PA. Will I actually be charged tax or does it always say that?

anazapela likes this.
  10. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

I think that is new for you, something about an office in Pa. I get taxed cause shipping happens in NC.

11. dbarila

I know Storf mentioned it was a possibility but I didn't know if it actually happened. I didn't get charged tax when I bought Alexandra Savior today.

12. IAmAnAngryPanda

IAmAnAngryPanda Member

Under "My Account" page it reads 1 Month International (active) does this mean I am already signed up to receive Tidal? Sorry if this is not the right place to ask.

13. david petty

david petty New Member

Hi VinylMePlease I put myself on the wait list for demon days after the subscription had sold out. I received an email about a repress & to wait for more info. Then I got an email for fiona apple tidal which gave me two options, to either wait for demon days & another email, or sign up for a subscription from this month & wait for demon days to be added to the members store. I do want to sign up for a sub & would like the Fiona apple lp but I'm not sure which option gives me a better chance of getting demon days? Wait for the next email re DD or sign up now for a sub?? Can you suggest what I should do please?
    Many thanks
    Dee

14. LeeVing

LeeVing Well-Known Member

I'd say sign up. You'd get the Fiona and be a member to be able to buy Demon Days when is becomes available.

david petty likes this.
  15. Mr Moore

Mr Moore Well-Known Member

Mine is an international account and says renewal will be $399+tax. Any chance @thestorfer @PaulyB you can confirm if the +tax is just a standard on all accounts but not applicable to many?

anazapela likes this.
  16. anazapela

anazapela Well-Known Member

I noticed this on my account too!! $108 + tax...i'm an international sub and often get charged customs (as do other uk subs) so if i have to pay even more then it's going to bring in the question of 'is it worth it?' which i'm not gonna lie kinda hurts!

17. gouis

gouis Well-Known Member

You might get a response if you get rid of that Pepe avatar. We don't really like Nazis around here.

Jspaul likes this.
  18. thestorfer

thestorfer It's Not Beck Staff Member

I'm not 100% on the tax question since I'm just the dude who hangs here and who writes for us, but I am fairly sure it says that IN CASE we eventually open offices in locales where we'd charge tax (which is what happened w/ Wisconsin for Wisconsin members). We're looking at options for opening shipping warehouses in multiples places in the U.S. and internationally, so I suspect this is to ready people for that possibility.

anazapela likes this.
  19. dbarila

Thanks. Just needed to make sure you didn't move to PA and make us all paying sales tax now. I guess the fact that I wasn't charged sales tax on an order yesterday means there's no tax for PA yet.

20. thestorfer

thestorfer It's Not Beck Staff Member

Yeah, that latter part is what's important; if you were gonna get charged on a membership, you'd be charged for store too