Aron
Birthday:
May 14

Share This Page

Aron

Well-Known Member, Male, from Austin, TX

Banner day for releases by Austin artists. Bayonne and Moving Panoramas both released excellent albums today. Check 'em out! Feb 22, 2019 at 7:56 AM

1. Aron
      Aron
      1. Aron
        Aron
        For those that might not be familiar with the name, Bruce is a songwriter's songwriter. This album alone includes 'Wrapped' and 'Desperately' (which became hits for George Strait), and 'Angry All The Tim' (which was a hit for Tim & Faith). This record also has 'My Brother & Me', which is a classic with his brother Charlie.
        Feb 8, 2019
    2. Aron
      Aron
      Neko Case tonight, and Lucy Dacus tomorrow night. Haven't seen Neko live in about 10 years. Pretty excited!
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Aron
        Aron
        I'm good on the phone front. She's playing Bass Concert Hall here in Austin, which is a really great theater type venue. Real classy like, y'know?
        Feb 8, 2019
        Heath likes this.
      3. Heath
        Heath
        the no phone thing definitely made the show more enjoyable, I just wish they had mentioned it to me sometime before the show...I'm not one for surprises ha
        Feb 8, 2019
        GritNGlitter and Aron like this.
      4. GritNGlitter
        GritNGlitter
        Give my daughter Lucy my love!
        Feb 8, 2019
        Aron likes this.
    3. Aron
      Aron
      NPR First Listen for the new Ladytron album. Link in next post.
      1. bettim84, lee newman, Kris and 2 others like this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Aron
        Aron
        @Kris Yep! I think that is my favorite off the record.
        Feb 7, 2019
      4. Hollywood
        Hollywood
        A return to form...very tight album...their best since Witching Hour
        Feb 7, 2019
        Aron likes this.
      5. Aron
        Aron
        I felt like "Velocifero" was a pretty good record. "Gravity The Seducer" had a couple of good tracks, but overall, wasn't their strongest work. I love the first half of the new one, and the last two tracks are muted, but good. The rest isn't bad, by any means, but wasn't as memorable for me.
        Feb 7, 2019
        Hollywood likes this.
    4. Aron
      Aron
      Not thrilled about the BOCC show in Austin moving to a larger venue. Stubb's is decent enough, but I was looking forward to a smaller crowd.
      1. tvham, Matt M, mcherry and 2 others like this.
      3. twentytwo
        twentytwo
        I hear you man. I prefer to just let things be when they sell out. It's not fair to the people who purchase tickets thinking it was going to be one place and then its not. The Nashville shows was moved from a great venue to arguably my least favorite venue in Nashville. Sight lines are awful at the new venue.
        Feb 6, 2019
        Aron likes this.
      4. Matt M
        Matt M
        I'm waiting for the same thing to happen in Portland. Rather they just play an early all ages show at the same place also.
        Feb 6, 2019
        Aron likes this.
      5. tvham
        tvham
        Man, I hate when that happens...sucks for people who missed out on tickets first time around but also for those who scored tickets and were hoping for an intimate show. Would much rather have them add a show if the schedule allows (or do an early then late show? I saw Alt-J play a tiny club in SF that was booked before they took off so they added a 6pm show the same night)
        Feb 6, 2019
        Aron likes this.
    5. Aron
      Aron
    6. Aron
      Aron
      Those days when the coda from 'Satellite of Love' gets stuck in your head...those are the best days.
    7. Aron
      Aron
      Thinking the ad meeting for that Budweiser Super Bowl spot went something like this...
      1. Phaneronic and GritNGlitter like this.
      2. Aron
        Aron
        "So, we want to tout that their beer is now brewed with wind power. We've narrowed the music choice down to Kansas' 'Dust in the Wind', or Dylan's 'Blowin' in the Wind'. It's a toss up, really, they're both very well known songs that would be completely inappropriate choices for this spot. Let's just go with Dylan, I'm hungry".
        Feb 3, 2019
        nolady, Nathaniel D., bfly and 4 others like this.
    8. Aron
      Aron
      Have the Super Bowl on mute, but I'm listening online to Lauren Laverne's BBC Radio 6 Music interview w/Neneh Cherry from last week.
      1. Aron
        Aron
        I used to love streaming Lauren Laverne's afternoon show on xfm back in the day. It was my morning show at work every day. Love the variety of songs played during this show: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000277z
        Feb 3, 2019
    9. Aron
      Aron
      So I got my advance download for doing the Pledge deal for Ladytron's new album that is due on on the 15th. Early feeling is...
      1. bettim84, mcherry, DevonJD and 2 others like this.
      3. CAPacelli
        CAPacelli
        Electroclash is overdue for a comeback
        Feb 2, 2019
        Aron likes this.
      4. Aron
        Aron
        After the second spin, I think a more honest grade would probably be in the 7/10 range. It's front loaded--the first half is much stronger material IMO. Still, it finishes with a couple of good tunes, although they are a little more on the subdued side.
        Feb 2, 2019
        GritNGlitter and Hollywood like this.
      5. Thackeraye
        Thackeraye
        The Marnie solo albums are worth a listen, if you haven't already...
        Feb 3, 2019
        Aron likes this.
    10. Aron
      Aron
      Had to listen to Bob Mould's "Black Sheets Of Rain" this afternoon. Yeah, it was THAT kind of day today.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Yer Ol' Uncle D
        Yer Ol' Uncle D
        I'd try and go chronologically @Psymon so you can experience the evolution. If I had to boil it down to a few to experience that I'd go -

Husker Dü - Zen Arcade
        Husker Dü - Candy Apple Grey
        Bob Mould - Workbook
        Bob Mould - Black Sheets Of Rain
        Sugar - Copper Blue
        Sugar - Beaster
        Feb 2, 2019
        Aron and Psymon like this.
      3. Psymon
        Feb 2, 2019
        Yer Ol' Uncle D likes this.
      4. Yer Ol' Uncle D
        Yer Ol' Uncle D
        My pleasure @Psymon. Welcome aboard.
        Feb 2, 2019
    11. Aron
      Aron
      I feel like there has been an absurd amount of good new music released in this first month of 2019.
      1. Aron
        Aron
        I finally got smart this year and started keeping a playlist of my favorites in real time at the start of the new year to help when December rolls around. I already have 16 songs in that playlist. Several really good singles from forthcoming EPs and/or albums. Plus, new albums from SVE & BOCC will certainly be in the year end albums list.
        Jan 31, 2019
      2. hokeydokey
        hokeydokey
        Still waiting for my SVE from SS. Stayed away from listening to non-singles. Good pressing?
        Feb 1, 2019
        Aron likes this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        I'm waiting for my replacement Spotify version, so I've only listened to the digital version.
        Feb 1, 2019
        hokeydokey likes this.
    12. Aron
      Aron
    13. Aron
      Aron
      Not sure how or why Player's 'Baby Come Back' worked its way into my head, but I need it to leave ASAP.
      1. GritNGlitter, bohnjaggs and mcherry like this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        That was a pretty quick response, which leads me to believe there may already be a screenplay draft in place. Hey, I'd pay money to see "Yacht Wars" adapted for the big screen. And I'd buy the soundtrack too.
        Jan 29, 2019
        GritNGlitter and mcherry like this.
      4. mcherry
        mcherry
        The kids watched Star Wars during dinner today so it was on the brain.
        Jan 29, 2019
      5. bfly
        bfly
        trying to embrace since this is my life now
        Jan 29, 2019
        GritNGlitter, mcherry and Aron like this.
    14. Aron
      Aron
      In the span of 1 week in April, I'm seeing Bob Mould, Jenny Lewis & Better Oblivion Community Center. Two weeknight shows. Better rest up.
      1. tvham
        tvham
        Hopefully you're not standing for all those shows! (yes, I'm old)
        Jan 29, 2019
        Aron likes this.
      2. Aron
        Aron
        @tvham The two weeknight shows are General Admission. My old ass will be tired the day after both shows.
        Jan 29, 2019
        tvham likes this.
    15. Aron
      Aron
      Norah Jones' "The Fall" is a quiet masterpiece.
      1. DavidA and tvham like this.
      2. tvham
        tvham
        I've been digging back into Norah after not listening for a long time...any rec's for favorite copies of her first two albums? Would love to find the Analogue Productions versions...
        Jan 29, 2019
        Aron likes this.
      3. Aron
        Aron
        I don't have any of her stuff on vinyl actually. Hopefully somebody else can help out on that front.
        Jan 29, 2019
    16. Aron
      Aron
      Question for fellow music nerds that overthink things. Do you consider new release comps of older songs eligible for year end best ofs?
      1. Nathaniel D., Phaneronic and Mather like this.
      3. Hollywood
        Hollywood
        Not a chance!
        Jan 27, 2019
        Phaneronic, Aron and lee newman like this.
      4. Aron
        Aron
        I won't put Townes' 'All I Need' on any official year end "Best Songs" list that I might make, but, you better damn well believe it is going on my best of 2019 playlist.
        Jan 27, 2019
        Mather, Phaneronic and Hollywood like this.
      5. jamieanderson1968
        jamieanderson1968
        Depends, if its unreleased songs then yes. If it is a "greatest hits" package then no. For me the grey area is if it is something like Beta Band 3 EPs. It is a compilation of 3 12ins but it flows like an album. Also things like this make filing hard.
        Jan 27, 2019
        Corycm, Mather, Aron and 2 others like this.
    17. Aron
      Aron
      There's not a better American live music act than Los Lobos. Still. After all these years.
      1. Aron
        Aron
        There may be some acts that, on their best night, are on par with Los Lobos, but better than Los Lobos? Nah.
        Jan 25, 2019
        mcherry likes this.
    18. Aron
      Aron
      My Spotify Release Radar playlist is actually REALLY great this week. Some excellent tracks released in the past few days.
      1. GritNGlitter likes this.
    19. Aron
      Aron
      More like BORED meet---wait, that's not mine.
      1. kickerofelves
        kickerofelves
        I made this mistake once. Don't be like me.
        Jan 25, 2019
      2. Aron
        Aron
        Yeah...I'm certain this won't end well for me.
        Jan 25, 2019
        Nathaniel D. and kickerofelves like this.
      3. mcherry
        mcherry
        Frankenfurteranticipation.gif
        Jan 25, 2019
        GritNGlitter, Nathaniel D. and Aron like this.
    20. Aron
      Aron
      My reward after a long, challenging week? Getting to see Los Lobos tonight, which is always great.
      1. mcherry
        mcherry
        Jealous! Hope you have a great time!
        Jan 25, 2019
      2. Aron
        Aron
        Even though I saw Alejandro Escovedo a few weeks back, this is the real kickoff to my live music gauntlet over the next few months. Future shows include: Neko Case; Lucy Dacus; Bayonne; Moving Panoramas; I'm With Her; Spiritualized; and Jenny Lewis. Hope I survive.
        Jan 25, 2019
        mcherry likes this.
  • About

Birthday:
    May 14

Signature

#TeamCurmudgeonly