Comments on Profile Post by ThePakoBuelna

1. Goodjc91
    Goodjc91
    Notreble.com and activebass.com can build a pretty solid foundation. Fret with the very tips of your fingers, try not to use more force than needed (that's one of the hardest parts in the begining) and use one finger per fret, if a pattern is too hard on your fingers work on it higher up the neck (a good practice would be index, middle, ring, pinky hitting frets 9, and 10, 11, 12 then move across the strings)
    Sep 17, 2018
  2. bdm105
  3. Goodjc91
    Goodjc91
    Then reverse it (go back down the strings starting with the pinky this time), don't bend either wrist. The idiots guide to bass guitar was an invaluable resource early on for me, learn some scales and run those bitches into the ground.
    Sep 17, 2018
  4. ThePakoBuelna
    ThePakoBuelna
    @Goodjc91 Thanks man! Will check out those webpages, hadn't heard of them before. Right now I've been doing some exercises focusing on speed and been trying to learn some scales(so hard right now). Although I think I'm having some trouble with the wrist thing, because I've got an acoustic bass, and I feel(don't know if I'm wrong) that the neck is a little thicker than average and I don't have big hands haha.
    Sep 18, 2018
    Phaneronic and Goodjc91 like this.
  5. Goodjc91
    Goodjc91
    Ah yeah, acoustics are a bit bulkier, and it can be hard to position it in a way that the fretting hand isn't bent. Anchoring your thumb on the back of the neck parallel to your middle finger might help a little, and is a general tip I forgot to mention.
    Sep 18, 2018
    lee newman and ThePakoBuelna like this.
  6. ThePakoBuelna
    ThePakoBuelna
    @Goodjc91 Thanks man! I'm really excited to learn to play. Got a long way ahead of me. Thanks for the tips!
    Sep 18, 2018
    Phaneronic, lee newman and Goodjc91 like this.
  7. Goodjc91
    Goodjc91
    That will help with the speed as well because it gives your fingers the most flexibility. Gaining speed is counterintuitive, because you're going to want to practice slower in order to improve it. Like, as slow as possible while still keeping time. It's hard af early on but while you're doing it you want to make sure there's no tension going on, anywhere in your body really but especially hands/wrists/arms
    Sep 18, 2018
  8. Goodjc91
    Goodjc91
    No problem man! I looooove talking bass. Feel free to pm me anytime with any questions you've got or problems you run into
    Sep 18, 2018
  9. Eriatarka
    Eriatarka
    Finger exercises and stretches. One that helped one of my buddies is to put the fist of your other hand in between each of the fingers of the other hand for about 40-60 seconds at a time every day. He said it limbered his fingers to stretch further.
    Sep 18, 2018
  10. trickyseven
    trickyseven
    LOVE THIS!!! Maybe we need a bass thread. When I started, the toughest part was getting my fingers strong enough. Be sure to practice, but early on, don't overdo it. Otherwise your fingers will be too sore to play the next day.
    Sep 18, 2018
    ThePakoBuelna and Goodjc91 like this.