A Bruce Springsteen Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by DavidA, May 1, 2015.

1. DavidA

DavidA The sun's not yellow, it's chicken

Hello all,

I've noticed a pretty large contingent of Springsteen fans on this forum. So I figured that we should have a thread where we can nerd out and commiserate about how great his catalog is. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't wind up tossing Darkness on the Edge of Town on my turntable. Speaking of that album...

2. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

I will admit that though I enjoy the obvious Springsteen tracks, I don't actually own any. You lot have actually led me to dig a little deeper (just starting) and add his albums to my look-for list when I'm mining bins. I seriously considered the albums box set - had I not already decimated my music budget, might have pulled the trigger.

3. DavidA

It's an excellent set. You should be able to find copies of his albums in very good condition at used record stores. I have VG/NM copies of Darkness, Born to Run, Born in the USA and Tunnel of Love. I found them on an RSD expedition back in 2013. Each title was priced around the $8 range.

mamarsh18 likes this.
  4. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

I almost bought a few of his RSD copies this year but I was holding out that I might find an older pressing in color since I'm a huge fan of that. I should have pulled the trigger and bought them regardless though.

5. DavidA

You can probably still find some of those RSD issues at record stores. I don't think those would've sold out. The pressings are great. They sound better than the original albums and they're not too compressed. The Springsteen vinyl box is stellar though. I recommend snagging it.

6. crookedsparrow

crookedsparrow Well-Known Member

Isn't Sprimsting just the guy that's been holding back the career of this guy?

[​IMG]

MattS, DavidA and wokeupnew like this.
  7. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

I've read a couple places that the mastering is really good on the box set (is that the same masters as the reissues? I'd assume so, but...). How much better is what I'm getting at - for anyone that's heard both. Is it worth the extra bucks to go ahead and get the reissues if one can't dig up the older versions from the bins?

8. helllord

helllord Well-Known Member

i thought this said springsteen application and i was like SIGN ME UP

9. helllord

also always shocked at his intensity and stamina at his age. like i've seen people in their 20s that don't have anywhere near the energy in a 45 minute set that he has in a 3.5 hour set. it's insane. i've only gotten to see him once so far, but i'm hoping i've got many more times to add to my list in the future. he's just my favorite. my faaaaavorite.

when i saw him at wrigley field a few years back, i was insanely close (like, the mayor was directly in front of me. i have a hilarious video of him dad dancing somewhere). highlights include (other than the entire show) the tribute to clarence during 10th avenue freezeout, a crazy moving version of jungleland, seeing him light up when he invited a little girl in the audience to sing waitin on a sunny day (he's SUCH A DAD) and the above video of eddie vedder performing atlantic city on stage with him (one of my favorite tracks)

10. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

I don't own any of his records on vinyl? Maybe I'll look for that set instead!

11. helllord

also live @ the hammersmith in '78 is just THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST, but jump to about 1:51:10 for the best version of probably my favorite track, "for you," that always seems to get buried in his catalogue. but for real, if you haven't watched this, watch it. everyone watch it all the time.

DavidA likes this.
  12. helllord

also this is just my favorite thing ever- he pulled his daughter onto the stage during dancing in the dark a few years back and it's just so great. can you imagine having bruce springsteen as your dad? also his daughter is apparently like an olympic horseback rider??? who knew!

skip to 4:10 for optimum dad dancing

13. helllord

also did y'all watch 20 feet from stardom? it was so interesting to hear how instrumental he was in helping a lot of really talented people get their start, especially with jim crow being freshly overturned. side note that that film was excellent if you haven't watched it yet.

14. helllord

don't mind me in here i'm fine alone. y'all keep enjoying your saturday

15. helllord

also courtney cox is so important in this forever and always

wokeupnew likes this.
  16. digital love

digital love Active Member

Finally! This thread was a brilliant idea! I've been super lucky with Springsteen LPs, I've never spent more than £5 on one and all of mine are insanely good quality. I've always thought that the production on the first 5 records are poor (excluding The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle). The remasters have drastically improved the likes of Born To Run and The River, whereas there is something about Darkness' production that makes me like it more (the punchy bass on Adam Raised A Cain is to die for and the best punk song that was written by a non-punk band).

We all know that most Springsteen albums are critically acclaimed and loved by his audience, but which one do you think is his most underrated album?
    For me, in the classic era it has to be The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle (my favourite and his best after Darkness in my opinion) and recently I've always thought that Magic was a great record.
    Would be interested to see what others think as the Springsteen fan base argue this every few weeks on various forums and what not.

17. DavidA

You can actually hear Garry Tallent's bass, for once. It's almost undetectable on the CD masters. The original vinyl mastering will suffice. But that boxset feels like the cornerstone of any great vinyl collection.

18. DavidA

Exactly. Born to Run's 30th anniversary mastering was boosted and fragile. The latest mastering is a lot more consistent with the sound of the original album, with minimal compression and less flutter at the beginning of the songs, thanks to a new analoge transfer process.

The River gets a marked improvement.

His most underrated album? Probably Tunnel of Love. It's a mature, heartfelt work. It has some of his best songs. Valentine's Day is maybe his most underrated tune. Side B is a killer.

I'm also partial to Ghost of Tom Joad. It isn't a great album but it has some highlights. The title track is one of his finest achievements.

digital love likes this.
  19. DavidA

That version of She's The One with the harmonica intro... stickying pudding KILLER!

20. digital love

digital love Active Member

Tunnel Of Love is a really great album it was just overshadowed by the success of BITUSA. And Joad has some great moments - the title track and Youngstown - and many of the songs are reinvented with the full band live.
    I for one would love to see an electric Nebraska or Joad in the woodwork at some point.