A Thread About Ryan Adams, The Self-Absorbed Piece of Garbage That Makes Music

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by DavidA, Jan 25, 2017.

1. DavidA

DavidA The sun's not yellow, it's chicken

Sure, some of his albums are ridiculously bloated, like, Cold Roses, but overall, he's consistently great.

I've been listening to Ashes and Fire on a loop for most of yesterday and into today and I figured that this guy deserves a thread.

2. TheWhale22

TheWhale22 Well-Known Member

I can get down with Ryan Adams - I don't love all of his stuff, but most of it is pretty solid. I actually really like Cold Roses. "Magnolia Mountain" and "Let it Ride" are two of my favorite songs of his.

GritNGlitter likes this.
  3. DavidA

DavidA The sun's not yellow, it's chicken

Cold Roses has some of his strongest songs. But I could live without Beautiful Sorta and a few other songs on there.

29 is my favorite of his albums because it's succinct and has a great concept and some of his strongest songwriting.

cousin joe likes this.
  4. neuorder

neuorder Active Member

Big fan. Heartbreaker is his masterpiece but I really enjoy most of the stuff he's put out. Cold Roses and Jacksonville City Nights are great too. Self-titled was a pleasant left turn in a career full of left turns. Rock n Roll and Cardinology are probably my least favourite but I still enjoy them from time to time. I love Whiskeytown as well and I think their records give his best solo stuff a run for its money most of the time.

lee newman likes this.
  5. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

Heartbreaker is one of the greatest albums of all time. The rest of his catalog is really hit or miss for me. He was great live when I saw him over the summer.

JoeMac7, Jdp941 and mcherry like this.
  6. Jdp941

Jdp941 Well-Known Member

Heartbreaker will probably always be my favorite album of his but I have enjoyed a lot of his stuff. There are still whole albums that I am unfamiliar with since he releases music so frequently but he is consistently solid. I saw him over the past summer for the first time and it was a great set with a lot of the songs I would have hoped for.

JoeMac7 and Woob_woob like this.
  7. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

Youre from Philly right? Xpn fest? I was there too!

8. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a decently priced love is hell on vinyl.Halloween is a favourite of mine

JoeMac7 likes this.
  9. Vine Cottage

Vine Cottage Well-Known Member

To be honest I'm not familiar with most of his solo work.... I do however have a soft spot for Whiskeytown.

I'll be checking out the recommendations in this thread and hope to finds some gems!

Vinyl47 and Woob_woob like this.
  10. Jdp941

Jdp941 Well-Known Member

Yup! I live in Chester Springs now. I was at most of the XPN fest- I left about halfway through Sunday because that heat was crazy. It was a nice lineup though. I liked the little jabs Ryan Adams made at FJM for his midafternoon freak out. "Don't worry, you're not going to get any lectures tonight" haha

Woob_woob likes this.
  11. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

"Heartbreaker" is undeniably great, but I also really enjoy the variety on "Gold". Some really great songs on that album, and that video for 'New York, New York' still hits hard.

I like the vibe of "Love Is Hell" too. 'English Girls Approximately' might be my favorite tune of his. There are a couple of songs on "Demolition", like 'Nuclear' and 'Starting To Hurt' that I go back to a lot.

Vinyl47, TimmBrrrr, tharvot and 3 others like this.
  12. Jdp941

Jdp941 Well-Known Member

I don't think I had actually ever heard Whiskeytown. Thanks for posting- that sounds great! I'm gonna have to dig through their stuff.

Woob_woob likes this.
  13. Benjamin Dashley

Benjamin Dashley #NotMyModerator

29 wrecks me. It's so good. I was listening to Heartbreaker in the car yesterday. Just fantastic.

14. sarcasticfairyprincess

sarcasticfairyprincess Well-Known Member

Ryan Adams is my one true love.

Vinyl47 and Jspaul like this.
  15. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Guest

Recommend checking out the Rough Trade podcast (shoplifting) from Feb 6th, where he talks about the interesting design/versions of the new album and picks some favorite songs of other bands.

16. sarcasticfairyprincess

Have you guys listened to Prisoner yet?

17. slugr8

slugr8 Well-Known Member

Archive.org has an EXTENSIVE collection of live shows that you can download for free! I feel DRA is at his best, and sometime worst, live. If you can find the Dallas, Tx show @ McFarlin Auditorium, listen to the blistering version of "I See Monsters".....one of my favorites!

18. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

I haven't yet, but it seems to be getting pretty good reviews from what I've seen.

19. sarcasticfairyprincess

I spinner it tonight. Easily in my top 5 Ryan Adams albums. The song Shiver and Shake is just heartbreaking.

indiemisanthrope and Aron like this.
  20. neuorder

neuorder Active Member

I have. I purchased the standard black vinyl pressing on Friday. It's good but not great IMHO. Perhaps it will grow on me. Great pressing though and great sound as well, which is standard with the Pax-Am releases. Does anyone have the End of the World edition?