A Welcome Thread. Introduce Yourself, Please.

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by DavidA, Apr 2, 2015.

1. DavidA

DavidA The sun's not yellow, it's chicken

I'm noticing a lot of new members to these boards. Perhaps we should create a welcome thread for them for the sake of making proper introductions?
    Perhaps the moderators can post this thread or something similar to the top of this page?

2. MusicToLurePigeonsBy

MusicToLurePigeonsBy Active Member

Great idea!

3. crookedsparrow

crookedsparrow Well-Known Member

Yes.

4. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

I kinda hunted for one of these when I started posting. It's a good idea.

DavidA likes this.
  5. helllord

helllord Well-Known Member

........so what's the deal? are we gonna throw down an a/s/l sitch in here or?

wistfulsigh likes this.
  6. DavidA

I mean, type some salutations. As for advice on what threads to check out. So on and so forth?

7. helllord

k so is no one going? i'll go.

kara. between chicago and milwaukee (but i usually just side with chicago because that tends to be where i am). i have a super great dog named minerva mcgonadog (minnie for short) that i hang out with pretty much all the time and talk to probably too much. i like being outside. i like running and horror and yoga and reading and drag. stouts make me instantly hungover and trying to switch from neat bourbon to gin and tonics isn't as good for my soul as it is my stomach. i get told i look unapproachable in person and i'm pretty cool with that.

i like just about any music other than jazz (i don't GET IT. i like predictability and harmonies), but my heart is forever in pop and r&b. i love a club show but hate a festival. i'm here because i love a variant. also i don't really have any friends that are that into vinyl irl. damien rice - live at fingerprints warts and all is currently on my table. hi.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  8. DavidA

Welcome, @helllord . Glad to have you with us. Gin and tonics are my go-to's when I'm out on the town. But if I'm sticking to one bar or chilling at a friend's house, I'm always drinking bourbon or IPA's.

forkandspoon and helllord like this.
  9. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

Yeah ok fine, I'm in.

I'm Cory, hailing from the middle of flyover country smack in the middle of Iowa, USA. I'm a boring cube monkey that bangs on the internet for a living, but it finances my music habit, so hey, why not. I post too often, talk too much (especially about food and music) and drink too much coffee. I like dark, bocky, malty beer and will drink both your and my share of wine.

I'm somewhere between a collector and an enthusiast of music (read: I play my records) and wish I had the wallet to be more of an audiophile. I worked at a music store in college which blew my listening preferences wide open. It also made me a Guy Who Worked at A Music Store, which comes in two distinct flavors: aloof jerk or overexcited share-er. I'm the latter. Love listening to records as A Thing to Do (seriously: listening parties! When did those go away?) and seeing small shows, because I'm not great with big crowds. Like @helllord, I try to skip the festival circuit (hi5!). Spending a lot of time in americana and alt most days lately, but that's always subject to change. I'm good at finding rabbit holes and getting lost in them. Last thing on my turntable: Kristin Diable's Create Your Own Mythology.

So... yep. Hi (I love parentheticals. It's annoying, I know).

JoeC, Peyton and Luke Maguire like this.
  10. DavidA

Camp out festivals are the way to go.

EZ-Evan and AndySlash like this.
  11. helllord

hey, fellow crowd..non...enthusiast? glad kristin diable was on your table. i wasn't familiar, checked her out, and had to immediately order her lp. good stuff.

12. mattonfire

mattonfire Well-Known Member

My go.

I'm Matt. 36. I live in Richmond, VA, but Buffalo born and bred. GO BILLS. I'm a dad to 2 girls, 1 dog and 1 cat. I like music. All sorts of it from indie rock to old school hip hop. But mostly indie rock. My 2nd wave of vinyl addiction started in 2003/4 when I snagged a bunch of my parents old records and stole a turntable from their basement. Records are so tactile... the grooves, the size, the needle touching down. They bring to the listener an inimitable level of intimacy with the music. My wife is going to kill me if I keep spending money on records and vintage stereo equipment.

Other things I enjoy: Beer. Sabres Hockey. Bills Football. Cooking and/or eating. Movies. Did I mention beer? We have a few really great breweries in RVA.

JoeC, Cheesefry, Peyton and 1 other person like this.
  13. DavidA

That Watkins/Harvin/Clay combo is scary. Now, if only you guys had an O-line and a real QB.

Vinyl Me Please Fantasy Football league?

14. notgabewhite

notgabewhite Well-Known Member

My turn. My name is Gabe. I'm from South Carolina. I'm a college student that works full time. I don't really have the time during the week to checkout new music and I don't really have the money to buy records by artist that I'm not too familiar with (which is why I joined VMP). I'm guilty of ownin a crosley for the past 2 years, but because of my money situation it's takin me a while to save up for some new equipment. Since my record player is pretty bad on giving records their 100% quality sound, I haven't been spinning at all lately. The last record I bought was Natalie Prass's self titled album at her show last week in charlotte nc. She was also kind enough to sign it for me. Besides record collecting and school I'm really getting into bodybuilding. I feel like being smart, strong, and having a pretty goo music taste will pay off somewhere, right?

Cheesefry and Peyton like this.
  15. mattonfire

That Natalie Prass record is GREAT. Cool you got it signed. She recorded it here in Richmond at Spacebomb - Matthew E. White's studio (his new album is pretty dope, too). I really love the musicianship of both albums.

notgabewhite likes this.
  16. mattonfire

What, you don't think Matt Cassel can get it done? :(

17. DavidA

Maybe back in 2008-2010?

18. Benjamin Dashley

Benjamin Dashley #NotMyModerator

Hey! I'm Benjamin. 25. Chicago. I'm a journalist/editor who works when most of you are sleeping, probably. I just adopted a dog named Audrey Ann. (Audrey after Audrey Horne from Twin Peaks, Ann after Ann Perkins from Parks and Rec. The favorite shows of my girlfriend and me.) I like beer, when I can drink it. I gave up gluten for lent this year, so I'm desperate for a good hearty brew tomorrow. I'm tall and lanky. And my girlfriend teases me because I eat vanilla pudding every day.

I'm pretty open to all kinds of music. I get made fun of by pretty much everyone for my love of "Call Me Maybe." I go through phases. Currently listening to Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti while Audrey sits next to me. Oh, she's a Boxer mix, by the way.

I love concerts but my body doesn't. Going to Eaux Claires in Wisconsin this summer to see Sufjan, Spoon, Liturgy and a few others. I'm excited.

Discogs, Twitter, etc. in my signature.

Cheesefry, Peyton and DavidA like this.
  19. Bryce

Bryce Member

Hello fellow VMP members!

My name is Bryce, and I'm a 20-year-old college student. I currently live south of Rockford, IL but I'll be moving to Normal, IL next fall for college. In addition to college I also work as a medical scribe at a hospital part-time. I plan on applying to work at a record store next year while at college even though it won't advance me at all in my career of medicine. I do anticipate on being a physician assistant someday in the future.

I enjoy all sorts of music, but I mainly listen to indie rock and indie folk. I recently started getting into hip-hop though thanks to Flying Lotus and Kendrick Lamar. I play drums in a typical garage band here in my hometown and it's one of the best things ever. Last thing I believe I spun on my turntable was Corsicana Lemonade by White Denim thought it's been all week since I listened to vinyl since I'm a semi-very busy person.

goodoohuru, Peyton and DavidA like this.
  20. Franco Robles

Franco Robles Moderator

Agreed. I love this forum. I enjoy coming home from work, hopping on and hearing new opinions, as well as finding music that I' haven't heard before.

GritNGlitter likes this.