A Welcome Thread. Introduce Yourself, Please.

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by DavidA, Apr 2, 2015.

1. GritNGlitter

GritNGlitter Well-Known Member

Hi! Welcome. Nice to meet you!

2. joshua hernandez

joshua hernandez New Member

Howdy,

I'm new to VMP and the forums, (joined for Townes Van Zandt's "For the Sake of the Song").

After lurking here for a bit I decided i'd try to become more active here. This community seems great.

My music taste is pretty on par with what VMP has to offer; Right now i've been spinning some Songs: Ohia, Hop Along, and Van Morrison. In 2019 I'm looking forward to new releases & getting my hands on some better gear!

Greetings from Tx!

p.s. Yes. that is my dog, yes he is a handful. (he only listens to shoegaze)

3. sanfoan

sanfoan Active Member

Hi all,

Also new here...joined in November. I've bounced around a lot but I am originally from the Montreal area (I've lived in MA, WA, GA, and now MD). I listen to pretty much everything. Like others here, if it sounds good, I like it!

4. Nathaniel D.

Nathaniel D. Well-Known Member

Hey!

Sorry to be so late with this, and I know we've interacted in the metal thread, but just wanted to say welcome fellow atmo-black fan!

Lots of great music of all genres talked about on this forum, stick around and your music discovery will skyrocket!

5. Nathaniel D.

Nathaniel D. Well-Known Member

Welcome! I like your dog's taste in music!

Welcome! Montreal>Georgia must have been some kind of culture shock!

JoeMac7 and GritNGlitter like this.
  6. Critter

Critter Well-Known Member

You move around as much as me! I miss Montreal tho.

7. bulldogqt

bulldogqt Active Member

Hey everyone! Saying hello from Wisconsin.

I have been collecting records since I was fairly young but only recently do I have the steady income to dig deep and do everything right. Just discovered VMP and joined with some past RHH releases, incredibly excited for my first box!

My most listened to genres are hip hop and punk, with Smino and Jeff Rosenstock being my top artists of the year from each.

My music taste is somewhat varied, but I love how many new albums I have listened to based on looking through past VMP releases, and plenty of recommendations from this forum. Albums I probably would not have listened to that I now cannot stop listening to.

Can't stop lurking on this forum pretty much all day every day since I've discovered it, it's a great community and I am happy to have found it! Definitely filling that deep internet forum shaped void that I didn't know existed until now.

Looking to upgrade my turntable and the rest of my set-up soon as well, but i'm sure I'll find help in the appropriate threads for that.

Other than music I love dogs, and that's pretty much what I'm all about. Nice to meet you all!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  8. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Love dogs, want to upgrade.
    WE'RE GOING TO GET ALONG JUST FINE.
    Welcome!

9. CrazyDiamond84

CrazyDiamond84 Well-Known Member

Welcome! What are your favorite shops? Exclusive Company is where I go if I'm buying new releases and for RSD. I'm in Bay View so Im close to Acme and Rushmor where I usually find some gems. Also Record Head in West Allis I've had a lot of great finds.

JoeMac7 and bulldogqt like this.
  10. bulldogqt

bulldogqt Active Member

Yes!! Exclusive Co has been a staple for as long as I can remember. I'm over on the East side so I head over to Exclusive and Bullseye whenever I can. Highly recommend Bullseye, not as big but very great selection. Also love Rushmor when I make it out to Bay View, great punk selection. Never been to Acme, i'll have to check it out!

CrazyDiamond84 likes this.
  11. CrazyDiamond84

CrazyDiamond84 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Bullseye is cool. I walk over there sometimes if I have time after Exclusive!

bulldogqt likes this.
  12. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

Aren’t these the key forum rules: must love dogs and be prepared to spend more than the money you have on records and equipment?

NateOEB, BjorgenFjorgen, pijo and 4 others like this.
  13. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

Uh oh...

14. sanfoan

sanfoan Active Member

I go back all the time so I don't miss it too much...I do miss Seattle though!!!

pijo, JoeMac7, Critter and 1 other person like this.
  15. Siffrin88

Siffrin88 Active Member

Hi all. I've actually been a VMP please member for a while but just recently joined the forums.

Been collecting records for while but only got serious about six years ago. Originally from West Virginia, now live in Kansas City and love it here. Still a die-hard Pittsburgh sports fan.

I would say punk and hip hop are my favorite genres buy I'll give anything its fair shake. Some of my favorite bands/artists are probably Bayside, Alkaline Trio, Bad Religion, Mobb Deep, Milo just to name a few.

I've only been on the forum for a little over a week but really glad I joined.

16. Within Your Reach

Within Your Reach New Member

Hello all. I've been lurking around for a bit, and finally decided to join up.

I live in the great music capital of Austin, TX. I collect Vinyl, CDs, and cassettes. I tend to spend a lot each month on music, but it's totally worth it for great musical journey I'm on every day. It's very typical, but as a music fanatic and musician I listen to just about everything. As long it has a good beat, has groove, is catchy or has a great sound, I'm all in.

I listen to all of my vinyl on a Technics 1610 Direct Drive with an Ortofon Red, paired with Kanto YU6 speakers. The turntable is perfect, but one day I will upgrade to a Ortofon blue or skip that and go for the bronze. The endless pursuit of the best sound possible. :LOL:

I'm looking forward to conversing with you all and hearing about great music and discoveries from you all. :)

- Jake

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019 at 5:25 PM
  17. Zionshoots

Zionshoots New Member

Hello!

I came here since I was looking to grab the Futuresex/lovesounds VMP exclusive for a more reasonable price, but I just learned that I need to know people on here to get anyone to flip a record. I also don’t have a VMP membership or account since shipping kills my bank.

But here is some stuff about me...

I’m from Denmark, I’m currently studying graphics deisgn and I got into record collecting quite recently.

I decided about 2 years ago that I wanted to own Kanye West's discography on vinyl, to display in my room. I then received MBDTF as a gift a few months later, for my Birthday. I didn't think about actually playing a lot, I just really loved the cover art of his albums. Nothing happened after that, until I then a year ago, started to think about collecting and getting a setup at some point.

I'm currently moving and my new house is all under construction, so I don’t have space for my new setup that I’m getting. I do have access to a Lp-60 (not mine) where I’m currently staying, which gets the “nostalgic” job done, but to be honest I could just play the same songs from my phone to the speaker instead. I bought a Technics sl-1210 turntable, Marantz Pm6006 receiver, Ortofon 2m blue cartridge and some Elac Debut B6.2 speakers, that I’m waiting to put together and spin on for the first time.

I have a small collection of about 22-24 records (some on the way) varies from Kanye, Gorillaz, Frank Ocean, ToTo etc.

18. Noonie

Noonie New Member

Good day.

My name is Jason, from Ontario in Canada. Mid 40’s and long time music fan, but zero experience with vinyl records. For the last 10-15 years I’ve listened to music via iPod and iPhone. I have older cds but stopped buying in the 00’s. I’m considering taking the vinyl plunge, to be more connected to music (more tactile, crate digging, visiting shops when I travel, etc). But my concern is not being able to find the music I want at good ol record shops. My real passion is for alternative rock from the 90’s and 00’s. I’m guessing this is not very popular in used record shops? Which would leave me buying new (music I already own, and paying $20+ per album). Happy to also explore older music I have listened to...ever or for a while, but that’s not my main musical interest.

Sorry for the long intro and I welcome your insights! Thanks ;-)

19. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

The reason you’re not gonna find much used 90s is because that’s when companies stopped pressing vinyl for the most part and any records that did get pressed are valuable and collectible. I imagine a similar situation for early-mid 00s. The good news is that many of these titles are getting or have recently been reissued.

20. bohnjaggs

bohnjaggs Well-Known Member

I am also mid 40's but grew up listening to vinyl ... I didn't get my first CD player until I was 14. Did you not have access to records when you were growing up?