Accessory Suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SonOfJames, Jul 7, 2018.

1. SonOfJames

SonOfJames Guest

Looking for some suggestions for a subtle, affordable desk lamp for my vinyl rig ?

2. SonOfJames

SonOfJames Guest

and a list of Accessories I will be picking up this Summer for my new rig. Any comments on what I have or might of missed ?

Cork Mat (Uturn)
    Record Weight (Sleeve City, Big Ben, or U Turn)
    Record Brush (Hunt)
    Zerodust Stylus Cleaner
    Record Cleaning Brushes, Solution, Vacuum machine (Disc Doctor)
    Zilty Zerostat
    Orbit Cue Lever
    Digital Tracking Force Gauge

displayname and lee newman like this.
  3. SKOT_FREE

SKOT_FREE Well-Known Member

How much is the Uturn cork mat? I have a Music Hall Blue Aztec cork mat that cost around 80 something bucks AND a Vinyl Styl cork mat I paid $20 for and out of the two I like the Music Hall one better. I’ll go check out the uturn one right quick and tell u my opinion on it.

4. SKOT_FREE

Ok so I checked out the uturn cork mat and it’s basic like the Vinyl Styl one I have. If you have the money, I’d definitely go with the music hall one. Trust me after you go down the cork mat road, you’re going to want the best. If money is an issue, then the uturn will suffice.

lee newman likes this.
  5. SonOfJames

SonOfJames Guest

U Turn recommends a 3MM ? I think not mess up VTA range. But I will check out the others you mentioned. Cheers!

lee newman likes this.
  6. SonOfJames

SonOfJames Guest

Anyone have a favorite "Now Playing" LP display stand ?

lee newman likes this.
  7. SKOT_FREE

I don’t have one but Mofi’s looks great to me. I’ve seen the ones that’s a piece of wood with a slit in it where the record sits but that always worries me that it will bend the record or mess up the record.

CEB30932-D70F-427F-93E8-0010E8AAC85E.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the Mofi one.

SonOfJames, lee newman and Hunna like this.
  8. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

I would move the vacuum cleaner and cue lever to the top of the list. No matter how many accessories and high end gear you get - it can't stop the sound of debris in the groove. And the more transparent your system gets, the less debris sounds like "vinyl nostalgia" and the more is sounds like jarring interruptions of quality music.

Cue lever is high value because it's so low cost, but provides so much insurance for your stylus. I know UTurn made it an option to help with pricing, but if a stylus cost more than $40ish the cue will pay for itself in extended life and avoided accidents. No matter what price point you are at, record cleaning will pay for itself in reduced stylus wear.

espendo, lee newman, Hunna and 2 others like this.
  9. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion. Have you bought the u-turn yet? If not I’d suggest the upgraded acrylic platter over the normal one with a mat (cork or otherwise). Acrylic doesn’t need a mat of any description and provides a really good match to vinyl.

lee newman and trickyseven like this.
  10. Kris

Kris Well-Known Member

I like this one, you can fold it and put it away. I gave the extra ones to friends with turntables.
    Gibson Holders 6AC 3-Wire Display Stand with Deep Edge, Black, 4-Pack

lee newman likes this.
  11. SKOT_FREE

Hellooooo Friend.

lee newman likes this.
  12. displayname

The UTurn acrylic platter does provide an noticeable upgrade in speed control HOWEVER it does still need a mat. You can get away without one on most records, but that 3mm missing can cause skipping on the inner grooves, and probably isn't great long term for the stylus either. You need those few extra millimeters to keep the VTA in range. I use an acrylic mat to keep the sleek look and zero static properties, but cork will also do the trick.

Source: personally tested extensively with multiple tests with two different UTurn TTs using two different carts.

13. JoeMac7

Ah ok. I wonder why they didn’t just make the acrylic platter 3mm thicker. Acrylic is a much better surface for damping than most mats!!

displayname, lee newman and SKOT_FREE like this.
  14. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

Flipbin (they are pricey)

SonOfJames and displayname like this.
  15. SonOfJames

SonOfJames Guest

Yes I have the acrylic platter, but not using a mat effects VTA like others have pointed out. This can effect the tone of Grado carts ecspecially.

@displayname which acrylic mat are you using BTW? I see Hudson Hi-Fi has them for $20.

@lee newman I ended up tweaking a old wood iPhone stand I had in the junk box for now. More money for othet accessories and Records :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2018
    lee newman likes this.
  16. JoeMac7

Yeah it seems so sorry.

I was making the suggestion based on acrylic being a better medium for placing a record on than cork/rubber/felt/etc. I didn’t realise that they hadn’t added the extra height to the acrylic platter like pro-ject do on the acrylic platter for the debut. Big design overlook in my opinion.

If I was you I’d go with a 3mm acrylic platter like @displayname. Get the sleek look, anti static properties and better resonance so theoretically tighter bass.

Cork and felt are potentially dust magnets and hard to clean and rubber sucks energy.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  17. SonOfJames

SonOfJames Guest

Although I love the Nostalgia of using my old man's old Plumb level next Amazon Prime order I will pick up a couple of these small bubble levels for $5 ea.

[​IMG]

lee newman likes this.
  18. displayname

I'm willing to bet cost was a major factor in their decision to do that. It's not a big materials cost, but more the set up and management cost. If I had to guess, they probably use the same tool (CNC maybe?) To cut those platters. They likely only need one drawing for both materials. But if they made the acrylic 3 mm thicker, they'd also need a new drawing, additional set up for each run, on extra cut for the label recess, maybe some other stuff I'm not thinking of.
    I'm sure it wouldn't effect the cost too much, but UTurn is very open about hitting a price point. The Orbit Plus falls right at $289, and a little change like this might have pushed that model to $300 when they started, breaking the brief. This was obviously a choice made not only for materials saving, but also processes/mgmt savings. These little decisions can massively effect their early ability to scale.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they make a change down the road though since they are doing well.

Mine was from Ebay and generic, but exactly the same.

lee newman and JoeMac7 like this.
  19. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

SonOfJames and lee newman like this.
  20. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

I use the MoFi in one setup - a nice choice. In the main system I now use a Mosslanda picture ledge from Ikea:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20291767/

It comes in two sizes and has a nice notch to hold the cover from sliding down.

lee newman likes this.