All Things Robert Zimmerman, Err, Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by DavidA, Sep 23, 2015.

1. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

Feel you on that. But you never know, really don't dig self portrait but that bootleg series is by far one of my favorites

lee newman and Aron like this.
  2. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm thinking this is going to end up like the "Another Self Portrait" set, which is one of my favorites of the series. It's going to present this period in a different light I think, especially considering there are going to be a lot of live recordings included.

Enaz Fox, lee newman and MattS like this.
  3. kickerofelves

kickerofelves Well-Known Member

Maybe! I already liked Self Portrait though, personally, so I was automatically on board with getting more of it.

lee newman likes this.
  4. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Guest

If you can´t see it live on this present tour this is what you´ve been missing. Only sound - and quality is not too bad.

5. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

JoeMac7 and MattS like this.
  6. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

I've been enjoying the track released from vol. 13 and am excited for this one. Got it from SSD for 80 shipped with the LP20 code, for those that don't want to pay the 100+ it is in some other places. I own 1-3, 10,11, 12. 10 is the one I find myself listening to the most. What are y'all favorite of the series? Been on a crazy Dylan kick and don't get to talk about him enough.

lee newman likes this.
  7. DavidA

DavidA The sun's not yellow, it's chicken

My favorite Bootleg release is probably 8, if only because it really brought late period Dylan into full focus for me. Also, the sheer breadth of Bootleg 12 always gets me. The Like a Rolling Stone session is fantastic.

lee newman and MattS like this.
  8. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

My favorite of the Bootleg Series entries so far are:
    • Vol 1-3 (So much great stuff on this first entry)
    • Live 1966 (Had heard the bootlegs, but it was nice to have an official document. Plus, 'Tell Me Momma' is a blast)
    • No Direction Home Soundtrack (I love the version of 'Desolation Row' that sounds like the Velvet Underground are backing him)
    • Another Self Portrait (Really provided me a fresh take on that period of his work. Still don't like the official album that he released, but some of the stuff recorded around that time was really, really good)

lee newman, MattS and hokeydokey like this.
  9. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Guest

New track.

lee newman likes this.
  10. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

I listened to NPR's stream of a sampler of tracks from the "Trouble No More" set earlier today. You know, I've always had kind of a hard time with this period, but not because of the material really (outside of "Saved" perhaps, which I've never really warmed up to). There are plenty of really good songs on "Gotta Serve Somebody", and a couple of really good ones on "Shot Of Love". I think what I have always had a hard time with during this period is Dylan's vocals. I know, I know...THIS is the period I have issues with his vocals? I think it is less his actual voice than the inflections and volume that are at play. He got kind of shouty during this period, and some of the nuance that I've always appreciated in his vocal performances kind of got steamrolled. The legend I've always heard from this era is that his live performances were some of the best he ever delivered, and that his band was on fire every night. After listening to that sampler, the band does indeed sound terrific, but the vocals continue to give me a bit of pause. I'm still curious about hearing more, and maybe further listens will allow me to break through on this, but I'm not quite as confident that I will enjoy and return to this set, compared to most of the others of The Bootleg Series.

11. kickerofelves

kickerofelves Well-Known Member

Regarding previous bootleg series : picked up a copy of volume 5, the Rolling Thunder Revue live stuff. I'd heard it before but wanted a copy to spin in the car for planned future road trips.

Good lord, Bob and the band (not 'The Band') are ferocious on this thing. I love it!

hokeydokey and lee newman like this.
  12. Spammer

Spammer Well-Known Member

I've seen a number of artist dedicated threads, but didn't see one for Bob Dylan!

Quick question about his Greatest Hits album. Is this an important album to pickup? It looks like most of the side A songs are on other albums, while most of side B songs are unique to this album. Is that right?

Greatest Hits, worth it or not?

13. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

14. lee newman

As to your question. The three Dylan Greatest Hits collections are a great survey of an amazing career. Positively 4th Street is the only thing not previously available on the first volume. I’m an album guy though so while they are cool, they are not the way I really like to listen to music.

JoeMac7 and MattS like this.
  15. Spammer

Spammer Well-Known Member

Thanks! Feel dumb. I really did search. Have no idea how I missed that! I think I’m usually more of an album guy as well. I’ll skip over the greatest hits. Thanks!

lee newman likes this.
  16. lee newman

No worries! The search tool here is not the most user friendly.

JoeMac7 likes this.
  17. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Well-Known Member

Music should maybe not be overanalyzed, but I liked this dissection of Tangled up in blue

18. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Well-Known Member

https://www.bobdylan.com/news/more-...g-series-vol-14-to-be-released-on-november-2/

Bob Dylan – More Blood, More Tracks – The Bootleg Series Vol. 14
    to Be Released by Columbia Records/Legacy Recordings on Friday, November 2

Eagerly Anticipated New Chapter in Acclaimed Dylan Bootleg Series Unveils Previously Unreleased Studio Performances from 1974’s Mythic Blood on the TracksSessions

Single Disc / 2LP Edition Showcases Revelatory Alternate NYC Versions of All 10 Songs from the Original Album + Unreleased Take of “Up to Me”

6CD Limited Edition Deluxe Set Presents the Complete New York City Recording Sessions + the Five Existing Minneapolis/Sound 80 Recordings in Chronological Order

19. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

Wow only 2 LPs, for a bootleg series, for one of my favorite albums ever, this will be surprisingly affordable

20. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:D:D:D:D:D

hokeydokey and lee newman like this.