All Things Robert Zimmerman, Err, Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by DavidA, Sep 23, 2015.

1. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

I might have to buy the lp and the box for this one!

2. BjorgenFjorgen

BjorgenFjorgen Well-Known Member

I'm really excited for this one. ''If You See Her, Say Hello" was interesting.

3. SKOT_FREE

SKOT_FREE Well-Known Member

What trips me out about Bob Dylan’s Discography is just go through it in order....First album to last not only do you get an idea of the Culture and Time it was made in, but you get an idea of What Dylan is going through himself. 60’s revolutionary period, New Girlfriend or Wife, New Views on religion, Break up or Divorce wife or girlfriend,Birth of Child, etc. it’s all there front and center and set to music. Dylan in examining himself forces us as Listeners to do the same.

4. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Well-Known Member

5. Poly-Rythmo

Poly-Rythmo Well-Known Member

6. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard the 11 track version of More Blood, More Tracks yet? Is it any good?

Headphone batteries died on the way to work today so didn’t get a chance :(

Darin Star Boogie and lee newman like this.
  7. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

I listened to the 10 track sampler this morning. It was really good. I've heard some of those versions before, or at least takes in the same vein. Forces you to hear the songs in a different way. I prefer the official/final album versions in some cases, but the vibe for some of the tunes is quite different in these bootleg series recordings.

8. JoeMac7

Cheers, I’m picking the vinyl up on the way home this evening! Looking forward to it, this one is my favourite Dylan album!

9. BjorgenFjorgen

BjorgenFjorgen Well-Known Member

Listening now. Drifted down to LA!?

lee newman and JoeMac7 like this.
  10. cypert2

cypert2 Well-Known Member

It’s very fine. Definitely worth getting.

11. JoeMac7

So this album is, on first listen, very very good. Some versions of songs are weird but I think we’d take to them more if we weren’t so used to the originals. That said it isn’t as good as the original album, that’s no criticism though, very little is!

12. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

Listened to the tangled up in blue on my walk home just now, sounded great but also super weird since the album version is burned into my brain. Was cool heading it with only the guitar

13. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

This was my feeling with 'Up to Me'. I know every bit of the "Biograph" version...all the words, the timing of the pauses, everything. I've been listening to that song for so long now, and hearing this Bootleg Series version that moves at a faster clip, really threw me off. I know some people complain about the more recent Bootleg Series sets featuring multiple takes/versions of each song from an album/era, and I get that can be rather tedious to wade through. However, with an artist like Dylan, in particular with some of his Mount Rushmore albums and songs, hearing those different versions with alternate tempos, lyrics or accompaniment, can really allow a person to hear a song that has almost become part of their dna in a totally fresh way all over again.

14. jamieanderson1968

jamieanderson1968 Well-Known Member

Just got it in the mail yesterday and finished a first listen. I like it, but it is strange listening to something new again that you are so used to hearing a million times before.

In case people are curious, the sampler version streaming has different versions than on the 11 track vinyl.

15. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

So, I'm going to contradict myself somewhat from a few posts earlier. I'm a bit disappointed that for this entry in the Bootleg Series, the one covering my favorite Dylan album, they go with a 1CD highlights version or a 6 CD version covering everything. I assumed they were doing a 2 CD version like they've done for pretty much every entry after the first one. I love this record, and I really enjoy the 1 CD version, but I'm not sure I want to splurge for the 6CD version. Maybe digitally since it is more cost effective? I've also heard there were some pretty glaring printing mistakes to the hard copy versions of the 6CD option, which makes me kind of apprehensive to just bite the bullet and get it. If there was one of these that I would go nuts and get the completist version, it would be this one. Anybody pick up that deluxe version? Did you get the physical copy or the digital version? Is it worth it?

16. Poly-Rythmo

Poly-Rythmo Well-Known Member

I think it really depends how much you love Dylan. I already had the test pressing and picked up the 2 LP and loved that. I got the Deluxe on mp3 and there's a good number of great versions not on the single one. Upwards of 20 takes I really enjoy. But frankly not enough for me to pay full price on the physical edition. I'd absolutely recommend getting a copy of the New York Sessions bootleg (aka test pressing) though - there are a couple of tracks on there not on the deluxe version (due to different organ overdubs, especially on Idiot Wind) and they're pretty special.

lee newman, Aron and hokeydokey like this.
  17. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

I've had a CD of the New York Sessions for years. I'm leaning towards downloading the digital version. Just feeling a little odd that I don't have a double disc version of the one set I've been waiting for the most in this series. That has always felt like the right amount of material for these sets, IMO. I passed on the other multi-multi-disc sets in recent years, and stuck with the 2CD versions.

lee newman likes this.
  18. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

So...I decided to bite the bullet and order the 6 CD version. I normally wouldn't, but, in this case, I just had to. It arrived today. I haven't listened to any of it yet, but I read through all of the notes for the set, and that alone has made me feel better about my decision. I know there is an issue with the reprinting of Dylan's lyrics in the second book with the set, but, I'm less stressed about that than some of the folks who submitted Amazon reviews. Looking forward to diving in, and, with the Thanksgiving holiday coming up this week, I should actually have some time to do just that.

lee newman and hokeydokey like this.
  19. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

I'm a little over halfway though the first pass of this set. A couple of early observations.

First, I feel like Dylan made the right call to have those later sessions in Minnesota. There are some stunning takes from those New York sessions, but his instinct that the overall tone of a whole album based on those sessions being a bit same sounding was right. At least in my opinion. Which isn't to say that I'm not working on a recreation of the New York Sessions acetate for my own listening pleasure, but I do think mixing things up a bit sonically makes the final album stronger.

Second, while I appreciate having every take of all of the Blood on the Track sessions, I think this set would have been better if they had left out the incomplete versions of some of these tracks. I just don't get much out of an incomplete take. Even if it sounds good, it is only a partial song. It makes wading through all of these versions just that much more tedious.

Overall though, this is great stuff. As an obsessive compiler, I'm working on 3 of my own playlists from all of this. The first was an expanded version of the final album using these versions where they corrected some of the speeds and removed some of the "production quirks" on the Minneapolis tracks. So I put all of those tracks together, along with the 'Up to Me' used on "Biograph", and the 'Call Letter Blues' that appeared on the first Bootleg Series set.

Then I began pulling together another playlist with the tracks that would have made up the original NY Sessions acetate. There are a number of differences between the tracks that were, according to the notes in the box set, selected for the acetate, and the tracks that Columbia selected for the single disc "More Blood, More Tracks".

Lastly, I'm going to play Bob Dylan and put together my ultimate version of "Blood on the Tracks". That will take some time, but, based on my listening so far, it will likely be very similar to the final version of the album, with a couple of versions swapped out, and 'Up to Me' and 'Call Letter Blues' added on.

So, yes, I am having fun with my new toy.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    BjorgenFjorgen and lee newman like this.
  20. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Well-Known Member

Do we really need to see more interviews with Bob. Yep.

Nathaniel D. and lee newman like this.