Americana, Folk, Roots, and Country

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by Kris, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Kris

Kris Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to make this thread for a while. I feel like we're getting a critical mass of members who like this kind of music. Who are some of your favorite Americana artists/albums/songs?

Even country artists, there are some good ones. It's not an oxymoron :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  2. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

I think the Old 97's are one of the more underrated bands. I've seen them live so many times over the years, and they deliver it every time. They are more on the alt country side of things, but their earlier stuff was probably more Americana I suppose. The writing, particularly in the early days, was razor sharp, and their catalogue is pretty strong throughout. They had some weaker albums in the early 2000s, but even those had some stand out tracks that translate very well live.

3. Kris

Kris Well-Known Member

Which album would you recommend to try first? I've seen there name many times but haven't checked them out.

I forgot to add alt-country to the title. I wanted to call it "Just Don't Call it County Music" :).

Aron likes this.
  4. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

I mentioned it a few weeks, but one of the best albums of the 90's is Nick Lowe's "The Impossible Bird", which was a turning point for Lowe. It is pretty much an Americana type album, and a damn good one at that. "I Live On A Battlefield" remains one of my favorite tracks to this day. Pretty much a perfectly written tune.

Kris likes this.
  5. NoCo_Dave

NoCo_Dave Well-Known Member

I'm paralyzed, where to start. OMG OMG OMG

Old 97s are super solid. Yes.

In the beginning there was Carter Family. And it was good. Then came a whole lot.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    JamieK, gwerbnm, mcherry and 4 others like this.
  6. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

"Too Far To Care" is my favorite album of theirs, followed by "Wreck Your Life". Those are more in the alt country vein. "Satellite Rides" has a bunch of really good songs on it, but it has more of a British Invasion pop/rock vibe.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    NoCo_Dave and Kris like this.
  7. NoCo_Dave

Surprised you're not more familiar. Hitchhike to Rhome would be as good as any.

My wife (then girlfriend) and I were at this show at the Hi-Pointe in St. Louis. They did and still do absolutely bring it live.

Padfoot24 likes this.
  8. NoCo_Dave

Aron and Kris like this.
  9. Kris

Kris Well-Known Member

NoCo_Dave and Aron like this.
  10. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

This is an early one that I've always thought was a lot of fun:

11. Kris

Kris Well-Known Member

I think Kelsey Waldon's "Goldmine" is a really great album. You could compare her to Sturgill in that she has more of a vintage sound but sings songs with modern day concerns.

"High in Heels"

Aron likes this.
  12. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

Neko Case is another obvious pick for me. I saw the other day that Barnes & Noble is releasing an orange pressing of "Blacklisted" in a few weeks for some B&N Vinyl day later this month. I like that her take on "Americana" has that noir-ish touch that makes is sound like Southern Gothic or something. I heard "Deep Red Bells" on the radio earlier today. It was the first time I had heard it in quite a some time, and it still sounds so amazing to me.

I'm also a longtime Alejandro Escovedo fan. Al has played everything from punk rock to glam rock to latin tinged music, but I would classify most of his stuff as Americana. He was selected as No Depression magazine's artist of the 90's, which is pretty amazing considering the 90's were the prime period for alt-country. This isn't the best version of 'Last To Know' I've ever heard, but it is still very good, and kind of a cool, no frills version.

Al is probably more famous these days as being a "Friend Of Bruce", but his earlier high profile spot was the short, but memorable, guest vocal turn in the middle of the "Strangers Almanac" version of Whiskeytown's 'Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight'.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    JamieK, mcherry, akhliber and 3 others like this.
  13. NoCo_Dave

No discussion is complete without The Jayhawks (and sort of a cross-post harmony).

And Uncle Tupelo.

Chucktshoes, mcherry, Corycm and 2 others like this.
  14. NoCo_Dave

Huge fan of Blue Mountain.

Lymbo90 likes this.
  15. NoCo_Dave

16. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

Neko was my gateway to The Sadies, who have backed her quite a bit over the years. Those guys also trade in that noir-ish sound, but they are a super versatile bands Their early records have a lot of instrumentals that have a cool spaghetti western vibe. More recent albums feature more vocals.

Another group of Neko collaborators that are more well known are Calexico. I had kind of lost track of them in recent years, but I really liked the album they put out earlier this year. This one is a favorite from one of their first records.

JamieK, Kris and NoCo_Dave like this.
  17. Kris

Kris Well-Known Member

Carolina Chocolate Drops "Country Girl" from their excellent album "Leaving Eden".

18. NoCo_Dave

A gaggle of pillars on one stage, Steve Earle, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings playing an alt.country standard.

19. NoCo_Dave

You mentioned Nick Lowe and I always think of him as a producer, famously for Elvis Costello. But he was supposed to produce a Blasters record. Apparently Dave Alvin liked him but Phil didn't I guess and so it never happened. Anyway, Dave Alvin played in a supergroup of sorts, The Knitters, with Exene, John Doe, Billy Zoom, Jonny Ray Bartel (of The Red Devils). It seems punks trend towards country for some reason. I know I did, cow punk indeed.

Kris and Aron like this.
  20. Benjamin Dashley

Benjamin Dashley #NotMyModerator