Animal Collective General Discussion And New Album Hype Thread

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by BenMal, Sep 7, 2015.

1. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Since the release of the live at 930 club box set, I have fallen back in love with Animal Collective. This happens frequently with me. I'll go on a huge kick with them, then more or less not listen to them at all, then rediscover their greatness. So, I figured why not make a thread about them. We can discuss just general thoughts about their albums, or we can get ready for the imminent release of their new album, which by the way, when do you think it's coming? Based on a new website design and the information that they are finished with recording, I'd say it's possible to see the new LP available by the end of the year or early next year. What do you think it will sound like?

Also, what's your favorite album? Song? Member?
    My favorite album is Feels. Song? Banshee Beat. Member - Panda Bear.

I just ordered Fall Be Kind (finally!) on vinyl, which I think is a front to back perfect EP. It was out of stock almost everywhere online, so the pricing was a bit high, but I actually ended up finding it on Best Buy's website for like $11. Excited to get my hands on it.

2. kickerofelves

kickerofelves Well-Known Member

My favorite album is Sung Tongs for all kindsa reasons / meeeeeeeeeem'ries (apologies for the Barbara (I take it back, no apologies for the Barbara ever)) but my favorite song is For Reverend Green. I just love the push pull between the choppy "caught in a rotating fan" riff and Avey's vocal. Banshee Beat is a great choice, that's such a beautiful song!

Madtrippinfool and Woob_woob like this.
  3. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

Favorite album: Sung Tongs
    Favorite Song: All of them. Although right now it's What Would I Want? Sky. It's been Banshee Beat before, Winters Love is a personal favorite as well.
    Favorite member: Panda Bear

morsecodec and Madtrippinfool like this.
  4. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Sung Tongs is great as well, and For Reverand Green...so good. Strawberry Jam might be my second favorite album. The first album of theirs I heard was Merriweather, so I came at them pretty late, but it was nice cause I had so much more music to dive into.
    What do you think about Centipede Hz? Even though it is a kinda disappointing follow up to Merriweather, there are some great songs on it. Though, it's not as consistent as the four albums that came before it.

Madtrippinfool likes this.
  5. duke86fan

duke86fan Well-Known Member

I love MPP, really liked Strawberry Jam, really want to listen to feels, and sadly I couldn't get into sung tongs, couldn't get past song 2

I wish I could get live at 9:30 but it will probably sell out by the time I make the money, that or I don't get the albums from the store

6. Luke Maguire

Luke Maguire Active Member

if you only listened to the first two songs you don't really know what Sung Tongs sounds like at all

Eriatarka and Woob_woob like this.
  7. duke86fan

duke86fan Well-Known Member

They just have a bad first impression

8. Woob_woob

Centipede is a good album, it's just not a great album like the rest of their albums are. I do love Newtown Burnout into Monkey Riches

9. Woob_woob

The First 2 songs are great though

Eriatarka likes this.
  10. Madtrippinfool

Madtrippinfool Well-Known Member

Sorry for the bump but I must have missed this thread and I just purchased tickets to see them a few days ago so I'm exploring their discography again. My favorite member is Panda Bear but Avey Tare is a close second. I preordered the Avey Tare cover of Painting With only because they were out of Panda Bear. Favorite album is Merriweather Post Pavilion with Strawberry Jam following. Favorite songs at the moment are Brother Sport and Did You See the Words. Floridada is damn catchy too. My favorite solo album is probably Panda Bear's Person Pitch although I have some strange personal attachment with Tomboy (Lots of dissociatives). I also love Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks album.

@BenMal I wish I could find Fall Be Kind for that price! I finally found Feels for a decent price so I'm happy at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  11. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

As it turns out, I got super unlucky with my Fall Be Kind purchase. It took two months of me asking where it was for them to finally say they didn't have any, so my order was cancelled. I still haven't been able to find it for such a low price. Also, I desperately want Feels, but I want to find it for a good price.

I'm excited for Painting With, but I chose to order the standard version from Amazon...so I have no idea which cover I'll be getting. Hoping it's Panda.

12. Woob_woob

I grabbed the Panda Bear cover, and I'm seeing them in February for the millionth time. I can't wait for Painting With. Alot of people I know don't like Floridada but I think it's stronger than pretty much all of Centipede

13. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

It's not the best single they've released, but I like it too, and it's got me hyped up for the new album. Makes me curious as to what the rest of the album will sound like.

Madtrippinfool and Woob_woob like this.
  14. Woob_woob

Yea it's not as good as their Sung Tongs - Merriweather stretch, but I like the direction.

15. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

16. Madtrippinfool

Madtrippinfool Well-Known Member

I found Feels on Amazon for right at 30 which I felt was a decent buy since it looks like it usually goes for around 50. Excited to get it. That's terrible to hear about Fall Be Kind.

17. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

18. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Is the deluxe edition the only one that's 180g?

19. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Probably. Not 100% sure though.

20. Woob_woob