Animal Collective General Discussion And New Album Hype Thread

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by BenMal, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Eriatarka

Eriatarka Well-Known Member

I agree

Darin Star Boogie and Woob_woob like this.
  2. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Bump bump.

Let’s talk some more about Animal Collective.

Also, there’s some tour merch up for sale on their site from the Sung Tongs tour. There’s a bizarre poster and a shirt. Also there’s Feels on vinyl in case anyone still doesn’t have it/wants it/didn’t know it was available.

Here ya go:
    https://animal-collective.myshopify.com/

Related: I have not heard the new Panda Bear song yet, but I preordered the new album instantly. I haven’t been as disappointed with his solo work as I have with some Animal Collective albums. But, I don’t think he’ll make anything like or as good as Person Pitch ever again.

PBMTGR is pretty solid honestly, and it sounds great on vinyl. I also have the Tomboy boxset and it gave me a new appreciation for it after initially not liking it much when it came out.

wooha and Eriatarka like this.
  3. Eriatarka

I’ve been going wanting those Sung Tongs tour posters since people on Reddit kept showing them off, thanks for the heads up. I’ve sent the links to my gf and hopefully she’ll consider them for Christmas.

I agree with Panda Bear’s solo albums not being as much as a disappointment as some of Animal Collective’s albums, I think the songs I’ve heard off of the new album sound better than anything off of the last album of his, I think Young Prayer and his self titled are better than Person Pitch however.

Darin Star Boogie and BenMal like this.
  4. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Aaaand Buoys leaked already.

Eriatarka and Woob_woob like this.
  5. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

6. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Ok yeah, just listened and I do like this more than the two Panda songs. It has a slightly similar style to Down There with the production I think, but yeah more guitar-focused. Yet still different than Slasher Flicks or Eucalyptus.

7. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

So lately I've found myself craving listening to Painting With again, for some reason. I still feel probably about the same. I like it more than most people I think. Like, it's not top-tier AC at all. But I can't deny I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Setting aside the onslaught of noise throughout most of the album, there are some beautiful passages instrumentally. If anyone says they think this is a terrible album though, I wouldn't argue. I can see why it doesn't work for people. It's a super-speedy, batshit crazy sounding album, barely giving you time to catch up to the music. But that pure energy is why I like it I think. Also if you saw them live (I didn't) or heard live versions of these songs (I did), it really gives you a new appreciation for the songs.

Anyway...something like "On Delay" might be one of my favorite AC songs. I love the vocals so much and that nice little piano passage is so goddamn good. It's simple, but incredibly effective. I also still will proclaim much love to "The Burglars" - when that track hits the big finish it feels amazing.

Now ready to dive into Panda's new one next week. Hoping for an early delivery.

8. sORCERER

sORCERER Well-Known Member

Listening back to old Spirit material played live and it sounds so amazing.

I know Avey isn't much a fan of that era of their music anymore but I really hope that there's a chance of an anniversary tour soon. I won't rest until I hear that last part of "La Rapet" played live...

Woob_woob, Eriatarka, BenMal and 2 others like this.
  9. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

I love Painting With! And On Delay and The Burglars are definitely highlights of the album for me (along with Vertical)

10. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Yes! I neglected to mention Vertical. That's another favorite of mine.

11. Eriatarka

The only song from Painting With that I really enjoyed was Bagels In Kiev

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  12. Woob_woob

13. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Spun PBMTGR today. And while I guess my affection for it wavers a little, I still like it as a whole for the most part. I also think this is one of times where listening to it on vinyl enhances the experience. It sounds amazingly rich and deep. And I love how it's spread out across two discs - like the sequencing really works in this format. It's still sometimes too busy for me to listen to frequently.

Getting psyched up for Buoys. I think my copy is going to end up arriving tomorrow. I haven't listened to the leak, so I've just heard the two singles. I'm excited to see how it all plays together. Though I'm not crazy about it being so short. Then again, listening to PBMTGR...that one is a bit too long. So maybe the length will help this one.

14. Woob_woob

1549579950198266978276822377460.jpg

Buoys is legit, just started my 2nd listen

15. sORCERER

sORCERER Well-Known Member

Haven't heard Buoys since it leaked like 2 months ago, so i'm excited to hear it again once the vinyl comes in

16. Woob_woob

It's a really different album than the last few Panda albums, it has more of a mellow vibe. The guitars sound is the same tone as Sung Tongs, and the bass is deep as sticky pudding. It's short, but doesnt feel too short. I dont know where I'd rank it in Pandas discography yet, since it's so different than alot of what hes done, but I'm really enjoying it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  17. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Got it!

8D3687A5-010F-4ADE-AC09-3F8832F0E321.jpeg

Won’t be able to listen to it till the end of the day, but I’m happy to have it in my hands

Edit: I never understand why my pictures are so huge when I post them on the forum.

cul8er, DeadwaxDude, wooha and 4 others like this.
  18. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

*chef's kiss* I really like the solid red!

19. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

I gave Buoys a quick listen through at work. I can't tell yet if I have FOMO on the pre-order version or not.

Woob_woob and Darin Star Boogie like this.
  20. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Well Buoys is certainly different than really anything Panda has done yet. It’s almost a throwback but at the same time sounds completely new and unique on its own. One thing I’ll give all the AC bros credit for is constantly changing things up. Anyway, it’s a much mellower listen, which is nice to have. After listening to how huge and maxed out his sound became on PBMTGR, it’s nice to have this little follow up which is much more spacious and nearly half the length of that record. I still think it’ll take me some time to really grow to appreciate it. But I like it. Not love just yet. But it has me excited to continue to listen to it. So far the biggest standout track for me is Inner Monologue. I loved that one immediately.

Edit: also he’s mentioned how all 4 members are going back into the studio this year. I have a feeling the new full band album is going to be great. Based on what they’ve been doing lately it’s hard to say where it’ll go, but I think it’ll be special. Unfortunately, it likely won’t be out till next year at the earliest. Considering we have this new Panda album and then a new Avey album in a couple of months, I don’t see them releasing a new full band lp this year.