Ask For Music Recommendations Or Share Stuff You're Digging

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by phunk42, Nov 28, 2014.

1. phunk42

phunk42 New Member

I'll go first, obviously. :cool:

Favorite ever band: GLOSSARY!

Simply put: southern roots rock at it's finest. Hailing from Murfreesboro, Tennessee this band has been around for years. Occasionally, they'll tour the south and beyond. They've played SXSW and opened for the likes of Drive-By Truckers and Lucero. I miss being able to see them live since I've moved out west.

The songwriting is simple, relatable, and the vivid imagery that Joey creates is magnificent.

Some examples:

Velessa:
    "Valessa, you wear your pain well
    It’s under your skin where no one can tell
    Behind your eyes and skeleton frame
    Wrapped like wisteria vines around your veins"

Gasoline Soaked Heart:
    "These headlights are just a pair of eyes
    That only open at night
    To see the darker side
    And these dead end streets
    Only lead to dead end things
    My heart’s drenched in gasoline
    Don’t light a spark in me"

Videos:

Interested? They are on Spotify, but you can also download one album and a couple solo works here for FREE: http://www.glossary.us/downloads/

They just re-released one of their first albums on vinyl (for the first time on vinyl) here: http://www.lastchancerecords.com/glossary-how-we-handle-our-midnights-vinyl-lp/ - if you dig them you can snag a couple of their other albums while you're there.

/end fluff

How 'bout you?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. EsCaRgOt

EsCaRgOt Active Member

I'll play.

Artist: Dax Riggs

Synopsis: Dax Riggs is most widely known as the lead singer of the now defunct New Orleans metal band "Acid Bath." After dismantling the band that achieved a worldwide cult-following, Dax went on to form multiple side projects; Agents of Oblivion, Daisyhead & The Mooncrickets, Deadboy & The Elephantmen, and T-Daks & His White Plastic Soul which developed into his solo act.

His vocal prowess lingers between heavy blues and angelic scream; much like Jim Morrison of The Doors. The lyrics are blatantly morbid but sung with deep conviction that it seeps into your ears like a siren calling you to the depths.

Some of his most approachable work is his renditions of classic songs we all know and love such as "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", "Dead Flowers" by The Rolling Stones, "In The Aeroplane Over the Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel, "Skulls" by The Misfits or, my personal favorite, "Lungs" by Townes Van Zandt.

"Dressed in Smoke" - Deadboy & The Elephantmen

Dressed up in smoke
    And yellow wolf skin
    You spin and spin
    Skeletal girl with eyes like the dream
    I woke up in
    All tails and fins
    She held a red apple up
    To my lips
    Ghost of brother at my hip

"Dead Girl" - Acid Bath

Dead girl
    There will never be another one that bleeds like you
    I been dryin' in a dead age
    I been reekin' of the new plague
    The sound of the ocean is dead
    It's just the echo of the blood in your head

Videos:

Tour:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. The Rational Skeptic

The Rational Skeptic Member

The December Sound - industrial electronic/shoegaze/fuzz/drone/psychedelia east coast goodness. Highly recommended, album released in 2007 and recently went into pressing on vinyl, limited to 500 gray double LP's. Pressed through a French label, Cranes, but available directly through them on their facebook page for much cheaper.

http://thedecembersound.bandcamp.com/album/the-silver-album

Favorite Tracks: Never, Drone Refusenik, Pain Killer, Truth Hurts

4. Braddlesnake

Braddlesnake Well-Known Member

seamonster. Indie, but shading towards Elephant 6 stuff in his earlier work. A tad more electronic on his most recent album.

Also is a cartoonist and makes custom art on Etsy.

www.etsy.com/shop/adriantoddzilla

5. crookedsparrow

crookedsparrow Well-Known Member

Dax Riggs is great.

6. Franco Robles

Franco Robles Moderator

Gray ( Jean Michel Basquiat's band"

7. Derek

Derek New Member

SLOBBERBONE! They're from Denton, TX and are a beguiling mix of Y'allternative & good ol' bar band greatness. No less than Stephen King called them one of his favorite bands and in his 2001 novel Black House, he had one of his characters raving about SLOBBERBONE and Gimme Back My Dog, calling it a great rock n roll song. They put out 4 records, I haven't a clue if ANY of them got pressed on wax tho.

Only for people that like things that kick ass

TLiberty and slugr8 like this.
  8. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Kitten

gwerbnm, GritNGlitter and MaxPGH like this.
  9. De La Tribe

De La Tribe Active Member

Check out this new indie-surf band Dante Elephante. Besides having the best band name ever, their German Equatics EP is stickying pudding fantastic. Looking forward to whatever they do in the future.

10. AndySlash

AndySlash awkwardly disappointing since 1978

Brute Heart

Minneapolis trio. Bass, violin, drums, vocals.

Jetf Moreno likes this.
  11. MusicToLurePigeonsBy

MusicToLurePigeonsBy Active Member

Lady Lamb The Beekeeper

12. NewEngland

NewEngland New Member

First I'd like to start with that I like everything that's been posted so far (that have cited links/videos).

Next I'd like to say who I'm about to list is a group that people quickly turn the blind eye to but is a group I genuinely love. Bare with me if you care to.

I like all genres of music but one that has intrigued me the most since pre-teen days (late 90's) is underground hip hop...even more specifically the sub-genre known as "Horrorcore". I'm a horror movie nut since a child and once I discovered musical acts that involved this horror theme into their music I was hooked. There are many artists in this sub genre and most of which I think are terrible except one act I feel fortunate of being able to follow since the beginning of their career, Twiztid.

Twiztid is the one group out of this messy and unprofessional genre of artists that are well balanced with their themes, lyricism, and production. Some people may of known them as an act who was under the wing of the Insane Clown Posse to which they are no longer. Twiztid has long since set themselves apart from that "other icp type band" (thankfully) and despite some's first impressions of gimmicky, they are not (to me at least).

They just released their first vinyl from their new album "The Darkness" this past January which I like to believe is partly my doing.

I take the time to write this because I've convinced a lot of hip hop heads they are actually worth giving a shot. So to those hip hop heads who haven't before maybe you will now.

I'll list a few songs to show their diversity to set an example their music isn't one repetitive theme/gimmick of murder and expletives.

New Single
    Song: A Little sticky puddied Up Theme: Horror

Song: Love Don't Live Here Anymore Theme: Sentimental

Song: Renditions of Reality Theme: Pensive

Song: Break Down Theme: Hardcore Rap

13. Paul Hartzheim

Paul Hartzheim Member

Steddy P and DJ Mahf out of St. Louis. Had the pleasure of opening (an all-vinyl DJ set) for these two at a little dive bar in Green Bay last year...

14. De La Tribe

I'm guessing that at least a few people here have heard of King Khan & The Shrines. I'd say they're the best all-around band out right now. I tend to like genre-blending bands and this is definitely one. A great blend of psychedelic garage-rock R&B. And they put on one of the best live shows I've ever been to.

NotOneStraw and Yer Ol' Uncle D like this.
  15. De La Tribe

Here's a couple by his other band King Khan & BBQ Show. This band is probably more well-known but I personally like The Shrines better. This is straight garage-rock.

NotOneStraw and Yer Ol' Uncle D like this.
  16. Bryce

Bryce Member

Francisco the Man

I came across this band while browsing through videos on KEXP's YouTube channel. They're a really solid indie rock group that have been together for ~7 years and just put out their first album last year. I'd highly recommend them to any fan of indie rock!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  17. NotNot

NotNot Active Member

DEERPEOPLE
    New Album coming 2015

18. KingChadigan

KingChadigan Member

I have to give a shout-out to a local Indy band. Brother O' Brother sound like they can tear it up. If you're a bluesy rock person, I think you'll like it.

Check them out on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BrotherOBrother
    I think they're dropping a new full length soon on Fonoflo records.

19. notgabewhite

notgabewhite Well-Known Member

i just posted this on the live performance thread, but i'm sure this can go here too.This is Alofa Gould or "Ikea-Graveyard". shes got a couple lo-fi demos and an ep called "Stray" on her bandcamp. Shes working on a full length that i think is going to come out on cassette this summer/early fall. i'm really in love with her voice and i think a few of the fellow VMP members on here would appreciate her too.

20. Daniel Johnson

Daniel Johnson New Member

Well I was, unfortunately, surprised to find out how few knew about this band: The White Octave.

I helped put out their 2000 debut, Style No. 6312, on vinyl for the first time ever this past year and it's been selling pretty slowly.

Singer Steve Pedersen was in Cursive (Saddle Creek) before he moved to NC and started The White Octave. They signed to Deep Elm to release their debut and then put out their follow-up on Initial. Pedersen then went on to release music under the moniker Criteria on Initial and then later returned home to Saddle Creek for the sophomore release.

You can pick up the record here.