Ask For Music Recommendations Or Share Stuff You're Digging

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by phunk42, Nov 28, 2014.

1. NateOEB

NateOEB Well-Known Member

Flamingosis is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Flamingosis (the name comes from a free-style Frisbee move that his father invented) is a New Jersey-based electronic music producer and beatboxer. Drawing on influences from other producers such as Flying Lotus and J Dilla as well as vintage funk and disco music, Flamingosis creates engaging and soulful tracks and puts on an infectiously energetic live show. (Bandcamp / Soundcloud)

Nathaniel D. and lee newman like this.
  2. indiemisanthrope

indiemisanthrope Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Nathaniel D., lee newman and NateOEB like this.
  3. NateOEB

NateOEB Well-Known Member

lol There's a pic of it on his first album cover and here's a how to video so you can practice

[​IMG]

4. francois_truefoe

francois_truefoe Active Member

Reason - Cashless Society

NateOEB and lee newman like this.
  5. DTKnuckles

DTKnuckles Well-Known Member

I need to check this out.

pijo and lee newman like this.
  6. RowBearToe

RowBearToe Well-Known Member

If you're in to soul, check out J.P. Bimeni and the Black Belts. Been listening to their album Free Me a lot lately, it's really good. Plus, his backstory is pretty insane. This is the description from Rough Trade (discovered them through their sub):

The latest great new soul voice, following Leon Bridges and Durand Jones

This is the first album from Burundian-born royal family descendant JP Bimeni who’s been based in London since the early 2000s. Musical director Eduardo Martinez and songwriter Marc Ibarz wrote the songs. His backing band are Spanish funk outfit The Black Belts. Horns kick off with a slick smooth James Brown slide of a funk-footed slick as all get out monster. Easy grooves are a rolling tide and a veritable force of soul/nature. Brass stabs accentuate the soul vibes alongside broken-hearted intros, tremeloed guitars and everything you love about the sounds of Stax, Motown and Atlantic’s 1960s output.

On his debut album Free Me, Burundian-born JP Bimeni astonishes with a voice that recalls Otis Redding in his prime whilst resonating with the soul of Africa. A refugee who’s been living in London since the early 2000s, Bimeni sings songs of love and loss, hope and fear, with a conviction that comes from the extraordinary experiences life has thrown at him.

A descendant of the Burundian royal family, Bimeni fled Burundi aged 15 during the 1993 civil war. Following three attempts on his life - at school he watched as his schoolmates were murdered, he was then chased by motorcycle militia-men and finally poisoned by doctors in hospital - he was given refugee status and fled to the UK where he’s remained ever since.

Music has provided the solace that Bimeni has needed to move forward with his life: “If I didn’t have music I don´t know how I would have survived everything”, he says. With it’s classic 60s-sounding Motown and Stax-inspired grooves the album was written by musical director Eduardo Martínez and songwriter Marc Ibarz and Bimeni imbues these tales of love and loss with his tragic experiences making Free Me a deep soul soundtrack to his pained life: “When I sing I feel like I’m cleansing myself: music is a way for me to forget”.

7. francois_truefoe

Sho Madjozi - Wakanda Forever

lee newman likes this.
  8. francois_truefoe

Black Coffee - Ilala (feat. Mondli Ngcobo)

wooha and lee newman like this.
  9. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

A track from this showed up in my Weekly Discovery and I went ahead and interrupted the rest of the playlist by adding this to the queue. Reminds me of Grazie!!! So check it out @Crabbers and @craigdino (yo avatar change confusing)...

10. craigdino

craigdino Well-Known Member

Haha, well I can barely keep up with your roulette of avatars ;) thanks for he rec, adding it to the Spotify playlist!

Enaz Fox, Nathaniel D. and lee newman like this.
  11. Vinyl47

Vinyl47 Well-Known Member

Posted this on the Metal Thread - cause that's what we do over there. But I was thinking that limiting the posts to that thread may be stifling the potential growth of Metal Me, Please faction.

So here you go: Bluesy, Fuzzed Out, Solid

12. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Well-Known Member

The Teskey Brothers from Australia is pretty great. Check them out!
    Fantastic voice. If Chris Stapleton made a record for Stax :)

Even you might like this @Storf

Their own Bio:

The Teskey Brothers are a rare musical gem. Honouring that old school Motown sound and working it into something of their very own, the band have received widespread acclaim for their gorgeous debut album Half Mile Harvest. A raw combination of soul and blues, the record has warmed the hearts of listeners everywhere with it’s melancholic, analogue tones.

Written by all four band members, the album was recorded in their own home studio, self-produced and released independently. Listening to the record you’d be forgiven for thinking it was the work of Stax Records alumni in Memphis circa ‘67 rather than a group of twenty-somethings from the Yarra Valley just outside Melbourne. The feeling is as old as the tape machine it was recorded on and it’s a true expression of love

Onstage singer Josh Teskey’s smoked whiskey voice defies expectation as the band around him hold an irresistible groove. Their undeniable live show has wowed audiences around the world, leaving them infected with soul and blues.

13. chaosisbliss

chaosisbliss Active Member

For all my death metal / black metal fans who like chinese classical instruments and chinese opera check out Black Kirin

Nathaniel D. and Enaz Fox like this.
  14. Sanders

Sanders Active Member

Nathaniel D. likes this.
  15. kafunis

kafunis Well-Known Member

Miles, the most influential musician who ever lived, he changed Jazz at least 4 times over 4 decades . IMG_6284.JPG And people are still catching up . IMG_6284.JPG

16. lee newman

17. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

18. lee newman

19. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Well-Known Member

lee newman likes this.
  20. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Well-Known Member

Loving this track by Sun Kil Moon. One of those you wish you can unhear to be able to experience again. A funny story to great music.