Austin, Tx - Record Store Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by swamp, Dec 9, 2016.

1. swamp

swamp Well-Known Member

I'm taking a work trip to Austin in January and have one free afternoon/evening to pack in all my record shopping. I'm staying right on the Colorado river it looks like, so any recommendations for shops near there would be much appreciated!

2. swamp

swamp Well-Known Member

Might as well update this in case future folks are curious (cross posted from Fresh Grabs).

I just wrapped up a 3 day trip to Austin, Texas (I'm from LA) where I got to visit 3 local Austin shops.

Waterloo Records!

[​IMG]

I loved this shop. It was right in the heart of the action in town, big, well organized, and there were a lot of sale bins and used new arrivals. I picked up a shirt and two records here:

[​IMG]

Defiance, Ohio - Great Depression LP used
    Busman's Holiday - A Long Goodbye LP (VIP version) only $10 brand new!

I also went to End of an Ear!

[​IMG]

It's in a less busy part of town by the highway. I loved this shop too. Lots of records and many good prices. I got two shirts and two records:

[​IMG]

Damien Jurado - Maraqopa LP new, it was only $13 so I grabbed it
    Talking Heads - Little Creatures LP used, not my favorite record by them but I dig it and have been meaning to pick up a cheap used copy

I also went to Encore Records but, to be honest, I didn't like it very much. It was located in a sketchy abandoned part of town (this was around 8-9pm at night on a Saturday). I didn't find anything I would want to pick up. A lot of the used records were shredded dollar bin style LPs (mixed in there was better used stock). Some of the prices I saw were average to high. If I dropped the ball on Encore, let me know and I'd be glad to check it out again if I find myself back in Austin.

Great trip.

teee likes this.
  3. Bad Andy

Bad Andy Well-Known Member

I will be in Austin next week. I plan on checking out Waterloo Records. Anything else new in the last year or two?

4. LeftOfSound

LeftOfSound Well-Known Member

Waterloo gets all the love, but personally I think End of an Ear is where it's at. Huge awesome selection, but the people and CS there are just beyond stellar and even though it's big they still manage to give it a homey 'local record shop' feel. From my limited experience in the area, I kind of get the sense End of an Ear is where the 'locals' shop while Waterloo tends to be more the 'tourist attraction' equivalent.

bfly, geistvox and Bad Andy like this.
  5. bfly

bfly Well-Known Member

Waterloo has it all, and even though it is kinda the Disney stop, they stock a lot of local music as well. my friend just dropped off 10 he pressed the other day, and they took 'em with a smile.

End of an Ear was my regular spot, I used to live around the corner and would stop in wayyyy too often. second the recommendations, it's the best.

if you find yourself north of campus, Breakaway is cool (lots of r&b and soul classics, with a healthy dose of everything else). it's next door to good coffee and cool vintage. the whole North Loop area is fun to shop in.

Antone's is a classic off Guad. lots of 90s stuff and near 90s prices.

Encore for all your rock needs.

and then there's like 20 others, but they're only worth the time if you are moving in.

6. Bad Andy

Thanks for the suggestions. I fly in Friday and leave on Sunday. Since the game isn't until late Saturday I have Saturday morning through mid day and almost all day Sunday to check out some of these places. I'm staying downtown and will be using über to get around.

7. geistvox

geistvox Well-Known Member

Not for much longer. They're closing up. Stuck my head in on the way to the Spins last night -- everything is 20% off, still a lot of metal stock on hand.

bfly likes this.
  8. Bad Andy

Ended up going to Waterloo and Antones. I think Antones was all Jazz, as they are connected to a Jazz club.

Bought quite a few rock and punk albums at Waterloo. Cool spot.

By the way, I really liked Austin. Such a fun town. I hope to come back some day.

geistvox likes this.