Best of 2019?

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by wokeupnew, Jan 18, 2019.

1. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

There's plenty of new releases already out and we need a place to discuss them.

What have you been listening to so far this year? What are you looking forward to for upcoming releases?

2. Selaws

Selaws Well-Known Member

Rosie Turton - Rosie's 5ive has been a pretty good Jazz release. Really enjoyed it and have played through quite a few times now.

Looking forward to the Kokoroko EP, Theon Cross - FYAH, Little Simz - Grey Area.

3. BjorgenFjorgen

BjorgenFjorgen Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to the new PUP, as well as the Stand of Oaks since members of MMJ were so involved.

4. wokeupnew

What are people's thoughts on the new Sharon Van Etten?

I think it's good, it's just less pretty than her previous albums. It feels straight out of 1996 with some heavy drum and bass going on. It is taking some time to grown on me.

ponman2003, McGlam, foks and 2 others like this.
  5. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Very solid imo and early contender for AOTY!

ponman2003, foks, tvham and 2 others like this.
  6. Hollywood

I'm looking forward to new albums from Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala, Grimes, TOOL (I'll believe it when I hear it), Bon Iver, M83 and Chromatics' 'Dear Tommy' :whistle:

EDIT: you can now add Apparat to the list

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    ponman2003, Siglet, foks and 2 others like this.
  7. jdr2187

jdr2187 Member

This new country soul album from The Delines is my favorite so far. Willy Vlautin’s songwriting is top notch as always.

8. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I really like it. I think it’s hard to make this kind of shift, but artists do it often. Yet she manages to slide into this new sound fairly easily. I could see this being a big success for her. It seems more approachable/easy to like. I’ve only listened to it once so far but I like it and I feel it will only continue to grow on me. I love all of her work so much and this one sounds like a nice evolution of her past work. Not exactly the same style, but still very much from the same mind-you can hear it.

Also maybe it’s because I loved the single already but “Seventeen” is my biggest highlight. I just love it.

9. wooha

wooha Well-Known Member

Le sigh.

10. wooha

wooha Well-Known Member

...But other than Tool (again):Tame Impala, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Shpongle, Panda Bear, Gesaffelstein, Beirut, The Raconteurs, The Strokes, Grimes, Vampire Weekend.

11. Jake!

Jake! Well-Known Member

Dear Boy has an EP coming out soon, everybody should look them up! they're great

evanbenner and Darin Star Boogie like this.
  12. wokeupnew

All the press I’ve seen around this album feels like it’s going to be her “big album.” Kind of like Angel Olsen from two years ago. Which is great for her because she’s due to really break it big.

13. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I think maybe people felt her music was too sad or something, but this one definitely has much more energy. It’s nice to hear her experimenting from her established sound. So it’s weird to think this experimenting (and some of these songs are kinda weird) is more accessible or something, but it is. If anyone is held back by her sound now I guess they just won’t like her ever.

I’m now about 3 listens in and some songs are really opening up. I don’t know/want to know yet how this compares to her other work, but I’m enjoying this a ton.

14. Hollywood

'Remind Me Tomorrow' is the first great album of 2019! I love the bold new direction. It mostly does away with guitars. It's noir pop percolating with tape loops and drones, analog synthesizers and drums. Lyrically it's signature SVE, same vulnerability and raw emotions, songs written about finding happiness within ourselves. It's a natural progression for the singer-songwriter.

15. cbl

cbl Well-Known Member

digging this Aesop Rock/Tobacco collaboration.

16. zombie.modernist

zombie.modernist Well-Known Member

I’ve been hooked on James Blake’s new LP. I was obsessed with his S/T when it dropped and this hasn’t hooked me that same way after being a bit let down by his follow up LPs which felt less focused, more bloated and just generally less memorable. This feels like a proper follow up to his debut, which dealt with loneliness and isolation. Here Blake’s found love, inner peace and optimism. This is also a masterclass on how to use hyped featured artists like Rosalia, Metro Boomin’ and Andre 3000 without distracting from the album’s narrative.

17. brownsugah

brownsugah Well-Known Member

James Blake’s new album is cool. I will say that I still like his self-titled debut as his best album. But I can appreciate how his sound has evolved on this record a little from the previous 3 albums, yet it still has a JB feel to it.

18. zombie.modernist

zombie.modernist Well-Known Member

Agreed. His S/T is his best by far. I think on that album he had a sort of Burial-like enigma, but he sang and was a present figure at the same time. His later LPs we’re more of what you would expect from a producer artist, worse beats than what he sold to the pop stars and too much reliance on features. This is the first one where I feel like he really sat down with a desire to make a proper album again.

19. brownsugah

brownsugah Well-Known Member

Agreed completely! This album is his most cohesive since self-titled.

20. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Good to hear. I really love his S/T. It just has a quality to it that is perfect, and it feels concise and whole. Overgrown was hit and miss, as was Colour. I liked Colour quite a bit, but it was too long...and for the style he had on it specifically, it doesn’t work at that length. I’ve heard a good bit of positive buzz for the new one so I’m happy to check it out. Despite me not totally loving his last two, I still would say I love what he does/what he’s going for. But I don’t think he’s made anything yet that matches that first LP.